Sponsored

2018 GT PP2 Rear Differential Overheating Issue

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Have any of you guys gotten your finned cover installed yet? One thing I'm concerned with is contact with the exhaust considering how many different options there are.
If you notice the most outer fins on the finned cover are curved, or have a cut-out in other words. This was designed intentionally with with the problem you describe in mind, so that it is sure that the exhaust will not touch.
Sponsored

raab02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP2
Because it extends down, under, and forward of the stock differential cover.
No issues with clearance with the exhaust on mine. But your raise a good point.

Although it doesn't sit any lower than the exhaust, the 'forward' fins are low, and square at the front. I suppose the perfect set of circumstances could theoretically have it contacting... something?

I'm picturing one particular section of curbing at my home track I'm thinking of where the rear end is really loaded up while crossing over some curbing. I'll keep an ear out and take it easy for the first few laps. My exhaust has never touched there, so unlikely this will.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
which isn't remotely close to any portion of the exhaust routing.

I'm picturing one particular section of curbing at my home track I'm thinking of where the rear end is really loaded up while crossing over some curbing.
why are your wheels on the wrong side of the curbing? Your wheels run on top of curbs. Which would put your diff miles away from non-track surface.

raab02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP2
why are your wheels on the wrong side of the curbing? Your wheels run on top of curbs. Which would put your diff miles away from non-track surface.
Because at Road Atlanta (Turn 5) and at Barber (Turns 7 and 12) there are wide curbs with aprons of pavement on the outside.

I'm far from a pro, but it's generally considered the fastest line to make use off all the paved surfaces in those spots. This means that you are briefly straddling the curb in these scenarios.

As I said, diff cover is on and fits great without hanging lower than my exhaust so I doubt it will be an issue.

Just wanted to mention it to those that may be running lowered cars.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Exactly where it should be, because the exhaust only goes directly around the housing horizontally, so the only place it gets close to it is on the side.

Exhaust doesn't go under or forward of the differential.

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Due to some shipping issues with DHL where it seemed that they lost the shipment, one US customer was sent a second cover. Now DHL found the lost cover and delivered it after two months. So this customer has a spare cover now. If someone is interested in purchasing this cover, it could be at your house within a 5 day shipping. PM me for details.

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the diff covers in stock again, and I also have an exciting updated version. Here some of the fins were milled away and an additional oil fill hole was inserted for an external oil cooler. This is perfect for those looking for the ultimate cooling, combing the passive cooling of the diff cover and the active cooling of an oil circulation system. The lower fill hole from the two top ones next to each other is for the recirculation line of the active cooler. This has to be fitted with a NPT to -6 or -8 adapter, from which you can route your oil lines to any oil pump other systems may use.

diff1.jpg

diff2.jpg

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
I wish to order one but need to be assured that it will be the one with ports for the cooler and additional fill hole. Let me know. Thanks, Steve

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wish to order one but need to be assured that it will be the one with ports for the cooler and additional fill hole. Let me know. Thanks, Steve
I will test fit the dash fitting soon to make sure everything fits as planned and then I will get back to you!

Sponsored

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Finally received the fittings. Everything fits perfect! On the images I installed the -08 fittings, since they are bigger and take more space away, and should be the biggest fitting one uses with an external oil pump. Of course it works with a -06 as well. So now people have the option of fitting an external oil cooler to the system :)

thumbnail_IMG_4590.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4588.jpg

Martin Schacht

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1/Power Pack 2
Diff cooler kit option: http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/S550_diff_cooler_kit.html

Also you may be able to convince OPMustang to sell you a kit. Or Steeda, maybe.

BG 74W140 gear oil gives me a little more time, but I still get the warning every track day multiple times.

I have learned that it's better I develop my skills with precision laps, then capture a couple fast ones in the middle of the session, then cool it down. You save money on consumables, you don't beat the living poop out of your car, and you reduce risk.
Good advice...if you are doing HPDE/DE, need to remind yourself it's not a race. I have changed to heavier fluid and have wrapped the expanse, ahead and aft of the diff. I believe 300 F is when the warning light comes on...have g=heard that the car goes into "Limp Mode", can't confirm. I had the light come on 1X, and I went into the Limp Mode.
Sponsored