Sponsored

2018 GT MT Weird High Pitched Noise

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Greetings,

My car is a 2018 Mustang GT with the MT, 15K miles.

I have this high pitched noise that I usually hear once the car is warmed up. It's not a whine, but more like a continuous chirp. I believe it occurs regardless of which gear am on, but its more evident on 3rd and 5th. It is more audible past 2500 RPM.

And a little FYI, my car also has the infamous BBQ tick but this seems like a separate issue. I've had it for a while now but its starting to drive me nuts.

I have a sound byte and ran it through a high pass filter so you can hear less of the exhaust noise and more of the noise I'm referring to (The noise is more evident at around :05-:08 and you WILL need your volume up on your headphones).

Link is here:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0ixARpxanFX

Any one else have this noise? In the driver's seat, It sounds like its coming from inside the center dash.
Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I can not hear it in that sound clip, i listen about 10 times, volume up. The sound i hear would be hard to catch on audio recording though, it's faint, and most would never notice it. IDK if your hearing the same thing as me. It may just be transmission whine, but i'm not sure. It does sound as if it is coming from the center dash to me as well, higher up, but who knows.

The sound i described in the past as a whiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrr. That slowly builds as RPMs increase, cant hear it really if your higher that 3k, likely because of other noise. Almost like air creating resonance. I removed the sound tube, but the sound is still there(may come on just a bit later, hard to say). Not entirely sure what it is, but think it's normal, have heard it on more than 1 gt. 2 New on the lot, and mine, which is a 17.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I can't hear it ....I'm to old I guess
My guess w/o hearing it is the "2k" rattle

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope it's not you. Combination of using crappy cell phone mic and the sound being over drowned out by the exhaust. I'll try with a better microphone shortly

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here ya go, most likely it’s the issue per the SSM:

This below SSM was released for the 2018-19’s regarding 5.0 engine chirping.

upload_2019-8-20_0-1-24.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here ya go, most likely it’s the issue per the SSM:

This below SSM was released for the 2018-19’s regarding 5.0 engine chirping.

upload_2019-8-20_0-1-24.jpeg
Thanks! I haven't tried to find the sound at idle. I normally hear it when I'm driving. Not sure if that is different from what the SSM says.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Certainly isn't there at idle.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have either of you tried diagnosing with the clutch pedal - for instance does the chirping go away when using or depressing the clutch pedal?

If the chirping changes when using the clutch, then it’s throw out bearing related.

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have either of you tried diagnosing with the clutch pedal - for instance does the chirping go away when using or depressing the clutch pedal?

If the chirping changes when using the clutch, then it’s throw out bearing related.
I've never bothered to check disengaging the clutch, but I can only hear the noise when I step on the throttle. If its in neutral, I don't hear it.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
For me it's not a chirp chirp chirp, it's a constant whhhiiiirrrrr sound. As RPMs are between 2250 and 3000 while lightly accelerating. Not a chirp, or a rattle(unless the 2k rattle doesn't sound like a rattle at all).

While i haven't found what it is, I'm not worried about it either, as I've heard it on multiple cars, and a few have said they hear it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me it's not a chirp chirp chirp, it's a constant whhhiiiirrrrr sound. As RPMs are between 2250 and 3000 while lightly accelerating. Not a chirp, or a rattle(unless the 2k rattle doesn't sound like a rattle at all).

While i haven't found what it is, I'm not worried about it either, as I've heard it on multiple cars, and a few have said they hear it.
I wouldn't make a fuss about it either but for me the sound is getting louder and louder. I didn't use to be able to hear it on 4th and now it's much more noticeable.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I wouldn't make a fuss about it either but for me the sound is getting louder and louder. I didn't use to be able to hear it on 4th and now it's much more noticeable.
Interesting.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Ford is just going to put out an SSM saying everything is a normal characteristic now unless the engine catches fire or your 5/60k is up. Trust me they will find the problem once your warranty is up.

twotone5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 10R80 (400A)
Did you ever fix this? I have the same noise
Sponsored