Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Hey fellas. Looking for some advice. My active mufflers just got put on car. Motors don’t get put on for 2 weeks but obviously I’d like to drive the car without the exhaust gases making the valve rattle, any tricks to securing them closed?
Sponsored

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey fellas. Looking for some advice. My active mufflers just got put on car. Motors don’t get put on for 2 weeks but obviously I’d like to drive the car without the exhaust gases making the valve rattle, any tricks to securing them closed?
I was able to hold mine open manually with some bailing wire. There were a couple of smalls holes on the bottom of the flange where the motor mounts to the muffler. I was able to get the bailing wire from corner to corer and into the grove that the spring normally falls into to rotate the valves, then just twist it nice and tight.

Held fine for a few weeks while I was working on other stuff. I’d say it took about 15 minutes total, would have been about 3 if I did it before mounting the mufflers on the car since there’s not a lot of space and it’s hard to see what you’re doing.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I was able to hold mine open manually with some bailing wire. There were a couple of smalls holes on the bottom of the flange where the motor mounts to the muffler. I was able to get the bailing wire from corner to corer and into the grove that the spring normally falls into to rotate the valves, then just twist it nice and tight.

Held fine for a few weeks while I was working on other stuff. I’d say it took about 15 minutes total, would have been about 3 if I did it before mounting the mufflers on the car since there’s not a lot of space and it’s hard to see what you’re doing.
yea it’s tough to reach up there. I tried with a small zip tie but didn’t go thru those 2 small holes, might have to give wire a shot, thanks.

RapidRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT (stick)

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
So I bought an active borla exhaust (used): Borla Mustang ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust with Black Carbon Fiber Tips 140743CFBA (18-22 Mustang GT Fastback w/ Active Exhaust) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com) for my non-AE 2022 mustang gt. Had no idea that I would also need to purchase actuators n all that. Not willing to drop another 1k on that stuff so my question is: Can I install the exhaust as is or will the valve flap around when driving?
Mine flaps around, exhaust gases close it if you leave it open then rattles. Wire yours open or close before install and hopefully it won’t do it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RapidRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT (stick)
Mine flaps around, exhaust gases close it if you leave it open then rattles. Wire yours open or close before install and hopefully it won’t do it.
Whoops didn't see your previous comments in this thread. Ty for the info!

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Watch for pull offs on your local FB pages. I recently got two sets for 150 each. 3 of the 4 valves worked.

reb0urne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray
This is a work in progress. I will add more pictures in weeks after posting this guide.

IMG_2080.jpg

Step 2: Mod the Motors

Once you get your new mufflers its time to mod the motors! Remove the motors by removing the 3 nuts on each motor. You can discard the wire hanging bracket or keep it if you want to zip tie your wires to it. I personally did not use it.

Remove the clip and heat shield on each motor. Remove the 3 metal inserts from the mounting holes on the motors.

IMG_2081.jpg
Anyone know the size of these nuts/bolts?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have any 2015-2017 owners added the 2018+ factory AE and if so, how difficult is it to retro fit?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
It is either in this thread or another AE; the guy went through how he wired it. He added a switch for control. I believe he had to take apart the motors but it didn't look hard. This was one of my favorite mods, but mine is a 2020 and works with the drive modes. I'd probably do it even if it didn't work with the drive modes.
Have any 2015-2017 owners added the 2018+ factory AE and if so, how difficult is it to retro fit?

Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I need to replace my passenger size actuator. I ordered FR3Z-5K235-A from Ebay but now I am wondering if I should have ordered the FR3Z-5K245-B. Is there a difference??

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Former Mustang and GT350 owner that has used this thread extensively to retrofit an active exhaust on a 2013 Roush Raptor.

Some info for those wanting to do a Retrofit on a 2015-2017 with either open/close or variable valves.

There's two types of valves:

FR3Z-5K245-A has 3 pins and is used on the GT350. It's non-variable (open/closed).

FR3Z-5K245-B has 4 pins and is used on the 2018-2022 active exhaust mustangs. The forth pin tells the PCM it's current position so the PCM can vary it.

I found a few easy to install retrofit controller options:

FR3Z-5K245-A can use Roush P/N PT00042555 ($260 for harness + button) to control these open/closed valves. If you want the lowest cost active exhaust retrofit solution. You could even retrofit the active exhaust buttons on the GT350 if you want a super stock functionality.

FR3Z-5K245-B (2018+ Valves) can use Hooker's Active Exhaust Controller to control these variable valves with even greater control than stock active exhaust.

I originally was going to go this route until I found QTP's screamer mufflers which are even cheaper than the OEM options above.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I originally was going to go this route until I found QTP's screamer mufflers which are even cheaper than the OEM options above.
Any videos?

peprika55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey everyone, I got a spare set of stock AE mufflers. If anyone wants to buy them let me know please. I'm in the Northern VA-D.C. area.
Sponsored