Sponsored

2015 Mustang Backup Camera not functioning

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s (2) links regarding Ford backup cams with very detailed information (prob more detailed than anything I’ve seen posted here yet). Mind you these are not 100% “Mustang specific”, BUT the same procedures and fixes would apply since Ford uses similar cams and programming of them regardless of vehicle model.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2087

https://www.georgelawsongallery.com/ford-rear-view-camera-problems/#05_Install_the_Ford_Camera

Good luck and hopefully something in those links helps.

—-

Before going so deep with what is in those links - definitely check your wiring harness wires very closely (from trunk lid all the way back to under the rear parcel shelf) as well as the harness plug that goes into the cam.

Here’s the M6G thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...op-working-heres-the-fix.117245/#post-2465359

Many M6G members have removed the harness from the cam due to deck lid panel replacements AND have repaired the main cam harness and did not have to reprogram or do anything special to restart the cam again (with normal operating results). My guess is there is an issue with the connector, or there’s something definitely amiss with the harness - especially since you have now had (3) cams hooked up with no changes in issue....
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If you're just assessing the harness and any uncovered wiring visually then you could easily miss a wire with internal damage. It's not all that unusual for a wire to break inside the insulation without any visible damage to the insulation.
Were it mine I'd source a wiring diagram and be testing any wiring related to the rear camera for continuity and/or voltage at the connector.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Before going so deep with what is in those links - definitely check your wiring harness wires very closely (from trunk lid all the way back to under the rear parcel shelf) as well as the harness plug that goes into the cam.

Here’s the M6G thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...op-working-heres-the-fix.117245/#post-2465359

Many M6G members have removed the harness from the cam due to deck lid panel replacements AND have repaired the main cam harness and did not have to reprogram or do anything special to restart the cam again (with normal operating results). My guess is there is an issue with the connector, or there’s something definitely amiss with the harness - especially since you have now had (3) cams hooked up with no changes in issue....
Thanks for linking the thread I created. I knew it would come in handy for someone! I was...too lazy...to find it.

JR

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks for the responses, I will check out those links. I cut open the harness from the camera all the way to the speaker in the trunk roof, found no breaks. I might try getting some more wire and splicing it as far into the harness as i can and see if anything works. Would you by chance know where I could purchase a new harness for it or if thats even possible?

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
Also, every single thing in the trunk area works BUT the camera. It senses when the trunk is open, the remote opens the trunk, the light in the trunk works, its literally just the camera which I tried 3 of.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks for the responses, I will check out those links. I cut open the harness from the camera all the way to the speaker in the trunk roof, found no breaks. I might try getting some more wire and splicing it as far into the harness as i can and see if anything works. Would you by chance know where I could purchase a new harness for it or if thats even possible?
Not sure you want to even think about replacing the harness as it goes through the entire car. Here’s another applicable link.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2015-mustang-gt-trunk-latch-will-not-open.103386/

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
do you have a helper? Could you have someone sit in the car, someone you really trust, have them start it and put it in reverse (which is why you have to trust them) and gently wiggle the wiring harness wires and have them watch the backup screen for for changes when manipulating the wires?

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
do you have a helper? Could you have someone sit in the car, someone you really trust, have them start it and put it in reverse (which is why you have to trust them) and gently wiggle the wiring harness wires and have them watch the backup screen for for changes when manipulating the wires?
Yes, I will give that a try. I tried splicing some wire from the camera all the way to the back seat where the wiring harness just about disappears into the car’s body, but to no avail.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Oh, that makes sense. It seems like EVERYONE is saying it’s breaking wires that cause camera issues. I’ll try cutting the plug off and splicing it in further down the harness. I’ll let you all know
Did you replace the connector? If you did/do and you still have the problem you could be looking at an electronics issue. Or worse, a wire break somewhere else in the harness.

Sponsored
OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
Did you replace the connector? If you did/do and you still have the problem you could be looking at an electronics issue. Or worse, a wire break somewhere else in the harness.
No, is there a way to replace the connector without replacing the whole harness?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
No, is there a way to replace the connector without replacing the whole harness?
Sorry, do not know. Someone else mentioned it in this thread which is why I asked. Like it or not the dealer may be your only solution if the camera is that important to you.

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, do not know. Someone else mentioned it in this thread which is why I asked. Like it or not the dealer may be your only solution if the camera is that important to you.
that’s what it’s looking like. But if any of my buddies get camera issues, I will have a lot of knowledge to share now haha. Thanks for the help!

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Tsb 19-2273 covers this issue . Harness repair kit part numbers fastback fr3z-14a411-x vert fr3z-14a411-y

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest