2015 Mustang Backup Camera Doesn't Work

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium Mustang Ecoboost
Hi guys, so I recently pulled the black trunk panel off that holds the mustang emblem and the backup camera to clean under it. I was a little forceful with it, but not to the point where it would break something. Any ways, the backup camera doesn't work now. It says "camera unavailable, contact dealer". No way I'm taking it to the dealer and paying $600+. I opened up the harness to inspect the wires, all wires seemed intact and no breaks or bends. So, I bought a new camera. Put the new camera on, and nothing. So the wires seem fine, and it has a new backup camera from ebay, but it still doesn't work. This is super frustrating. Any help would be very appreciated.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
go to dealer, ask them if they can negotiate a price or help trouble shoot. my dealer is fair, on my scion and ford, ive had some repairs they came down a lot. ie. needed a paint job, they wanted 1200. they gave it to me @ 400. parts, etc. just ask what they can do.

my gf's Chevrolet Sonic, had a water pump failure under recall, for 13-15 sonic, he's was a 16, but sold in 15 July. same exact car, same failure, but due to vin being a 16 was told pound sand, the Chevrolet representative (hq) said we will cover it, but need dealer co operation. They told her to pound sand, she either pay for it or it isnt getting done.

I paid for it out of pocket at a 3rd party place, screw Chevrolet (that dealership) their hq was actually nice

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Since you’re certain your cam wiring harness has not been damaged....

Here’s (2) links regarding Ford backup cams with very detailed information (prob more detailed than anything I’ve seen posted here yet). Mind you these are not 100% “Mustang specific”, BUT the same procedures and fixes would apply since Ford uses similar cams and programming of them regardless of vehicle model.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2087

https://www.georgelawsongallery.com/ford-rear-view-camera-problems/#05_Install_the_Ford_Camera

Good luck and hopefully something in those links helps.

Before going so deep with what is in those links - definitely check your wiring harness wires very closely (from trunk lid all the way back to under the rear parcel shelf) as well as the harness plug that goes into the cam. Many M6G members have removed the harness from the cam due to deck lid replacements AND have repaired the main cam harness and did not have to reprogram or do anything special to restart the cam again (with normal operating results). my guess is there is an issue with the connector, or there’s something definitely amiss with the harness. Check your fuses too.
Sponsored

Last edited: