Sponsored

Trunk release or rear camera stop working? Here's the fix.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
A couple weeks ago, my trunk started acting flaky, and would periodically not open when using one or all of the dashboard trunk release button, key fob, or exterior release button. Then my rear view camera started to act up, and would intermittently show 'Camera not available' or a simple blue screen. I did some searching and found some information on the wiring harness in the trunk being too short, and the wires becoming severed, but I didn't find a thread that that had actual pictures of the wiring location and the fix.

When you open the trunk, you'll notice a wiring harness snaking out of the felt pad that's on the underside of the decklid. To access it, remove the rubber isolators from the decklid, use a pick to remove the trim around the trunk clasp, then use a trim tool to remove all the plastic rivets from the pad. This will give you better access and more room to work. Directly underneath the rear parcel shelf, aft of the passenger side speaker, you'll find a plastic rivet type device that's got an integrated plastic zip tie. Remove that, then carefully cut the zip tie to get access to the harness. Cut any electrical tape away, then pull back the nylon mesh (shown below) to find the severed wires. You may have to cut or unwrap about six inches of the cloth tape to find the wires.
IMG_20190208_165342.jpg

Once I found the wires, I determined that three of them were completely severed, and one was almost completely cut. I cut the last one the rest of the way, then stripped both sides of the wires and crimped a butt splice connector made for 16-18 gauge wires to each side, and added about a 5" section of 16 gauge wire.
IMG_20190208_165349.jpg

Ideally, you'd want to add heat shrink around the butt connectors, but what I bought wasn't big enough to get around the butt connectors. No bother, I wrapped in electrical tape temporarily, and this weekend, I'll get the right size heat shrink and do it properly.
IMG_20190208_172130.jpg

All told, this took about 40 minutes, including a break to run upstairs to make a vodka/soda. After you've connected the wiring and applied the heat shrink, pull the nylon wire loom covering back down, secure with a little electrical tape, and re-install the interior decklid pad. Test everything out, and you should be good.

JR
Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Nice catch & write-up. This is why I frequent these forums, R&D is king in the hot rod world, thank's bro!
tn_IMG_20180808_091223_647.jpg

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Maybe this is why every once in awhile when I start the car I get a "Trunk Lid Open" notice on the dash and I have to get out and close the trunk. Happens once or twice in quick order and then nothing for a month or so.. No way I am hitting the button on the dash by accident but it could be the key FOB in my pocket I guess..

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good info and tech for those who need it.

Also here’s more info I had posted a few times on this site regarding the back up cam issues:

Review attached thread which contains the original Ford SSM info regarding the back up cam. Also see the attached TSB 18-2362 which outlines the common failures.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/backup-camera-and-lights-inop.105076/

If anyone is having issues with the back up cam in freezing temps, then review attached TSB 17-2068.

Attachments

Havoc911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALEX
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
Isn't the cables that's wrapped up with black tape and aluminum foil the two wires with the metal ground for the camera? Did you make them long?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isn't the cables that's wrapped up with black tape and aluminum foil the two wires with the metal ground for the camera? Did you make them long?
Maybe? I only fixed the cables that were broken or partially broken. I didn't want to mess with things for the sake of messing with them.

JR

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Maybe? I only fixed the cables that were broken or partially broken. I didn't want to mess with things for the sake of messing with them.

JR

I had the same problem last year. Fix was identical to yours. I have a coupe and during all of that I did find that there is a manual trunk release behind the rear seat, under the package shelf.
Mustang convertibles have a manual trunk release beside the rear seat back

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I tried the same with mine and never got it working right again, I think mine was broken further upstream in the harness in another location, too. In the end the lease came due enough that I could sell the car but that whole trunk wiring problem was a serious reason I dumped the car.

Dyn0mutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
any chance anyone know what the wires do or control ? to my knowledge the blue/white is 12volt power and the shielded cable bundle handle the backup cameras video feed and ground i think. I'm trying to find out what the other wires control.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bumping this for anyone who just received the recall notice and wants to fix it themselves, before Ford gets their paws on it.

JR