Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT Trunk latch will not open.

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
  • Banned
Good day to you Gents-
Issues with their trunk latch? I am unable to get the key fob remote, push button near the plate, or interior release button to open the trunk. I've had to flip down the back seats to get at the release pull cord.
Has any one had a similar issue? If so, do you know what part I need to replace? I've inspected it and it does not appear to be broken. I dont know why it will not actuate and release the trunk lid. Thank for any and all advice in advance. :thumbsup:

30171844_10155808257641596_7898628256429804679_o_zpselu6qvum.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

golfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White EB
Same issue on an 2015 EB here. When I click any of the buttons I get a clicking sound in the footwell, so I assume the fuse and relay are good. But all I get is light flashing and no latch release.

I'm assuming its wiring and not the latch or the trunk actuator but I could be wrong. Not really willing to spend more than $100-200 when I can just wrap some fishing line on the yellow emergency release and tug on it to get it open.

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
  • Banned
Same issue on an 2015 EB here. When I click any of the buttons I get a clicking sound in the footwell, so I assume the fuse and relay are good. But all I get is light flashing and no latch release.

I'm assuming its wiring and not the latch or the trunk actuator but I could be wrong. Not really willing to spend more than $100-200 when I can just wrap some fishing line on the yellow emergency release and tug on it to get it open.
That is the same problem I been having. Flashing lights and all.
I ordered a replacement latch. It was brand new and an original Ford part. Still did not correct the problem. Its driving me insane. I use my trunk all the time.
It has to be an electrical issue. :frusty: Thanks for the feed back.

golfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White EB
At first, the latch would trigger if the trunk was all the way up, and would quit reacting just before it was fully closed. Since it was dependent on position I'm figuring in my case a wire is faulty. Now its 100% useless no matter what position the trunk is in

Likely a wiring problem. Anyone who knows electricals can splice a wire, solder, and rewrap. A dealership is going to be aiming to get multiple $100s out of you. I'll update if I ever figure this out, but a little fishing line running through my back seat is just character in my eyes.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In the 2015-2016’s, there was a known issue with the harness attached to the trunk lid being too short. If the owner used the trunk lid a lot, eventually the wires within the harness would wear and break.

If the wires broke, the most noticeable failure would be an inoperative rear back up camera. In some other instances, there was interruption to the Sirius reception (on convertibles). Now I’m not sure if the latch wires are also in that harness or not - but being that the trunk lid harness is suspect in other failures, that could be a possibility.

Open the trunk lid, the harness that runs down the RIGHT side (passenger) in a fastback is the harness that is known to break. At the juncture where the harness bends, remove the outer harness casing and inspect the wires from that point and going further back under the rear deck. Check for any breakage or possibly chafing where bare wires are making contact with each other. The fix (and what Ford Techs will do) is just lengthen and splice new wires into the existing, shrink tube everything off, put outer casing back on and tape.

EDIT: I just found the SSM for those affected (and it looks like the problem still affected 2017’s also):
Inoperative Park Aid Camera, Luggage Compartment Lamp, DeckLid Release And/Or Poor Satellite Radio Reception – 2015-2017 Ford Mustang
oemdtc May 5, 2016
Diagnostic Tips
SSM 47306 – 2015-2017 Mustang – Inoperative Park Aid Camera, Luggage Compartment Lamp, DeckLid Release And/Or Poor Satellite Radio Reception

Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles may experience an inoperative Rear Parking Aid Camera, luggage compartment lamp, deck lid release and/or poor satellite radio reception.

Check the 14A005 wire harness at the right deck lid hinge for damage between the package tray harness retaining clip and the deck lid harness retainer clip.

Repair the harness following repair guidelines from section 5-1 of the wiring diagram.

If equipped with deck lid mounted satellite antenna, make sure the shielding is wrapped on the antenna wires securely after any repair.

Secure the harness ensuring it rolls downward into the trunk area when closing the deck lid and does not become trapped between the deck lid and the deck lid opening flange.

This concern may be accompanied by Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) B115E, C1001, and B1A89.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2015 – 2017 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
  • Banned
quick question for you. Do you happen to have the TAIL LIGHT SEQUENCER KIT installed on your ride? I do.. I wonder if its causing issues. Because when it fails to open the tail lights come on.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
As the service bulletin says, it’s usually the exposed wiring harness near the right trunk hinge. Mine did the same thing and the warranty fix was splicing some extra length into that harness where the frayed connection was. Inspect your wiring harness for damage, they may be a little short from the factory?

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
  • Banned
As the service bulletin says, it’s usually the exposed wiring harness near the right trunk hinge. Mine did the same thing and the warranty fix was splicing some extra length into that harness where the frayed connection was. Inspect your wiring harness for damage, they may be a little short from the factory?
Will give that a try. When I replaced the latch I could not see any exposed wires. But I was not looking for that. It cant hurt to look. I so sick and tired of not being able to use my trunk.

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
  • Banned

Hey bro.. was able to locate the problem and fix it. Like NightmareMoon stated it is in the wire harness. I did not find any fried wires. Mine where severed and cut. My problem was located about 3 to 8 inches as the wire harness loops up the truck. If you are working your way down the wire harness from the latch on the trunk. It will be right after the part that has that protective plastic mesh. I spliced in thicker wires and now it works like new. Give this a try. Should take care of the problem and you wont need any more fishing line lol :) Good luck bro.
[/URL][/IMG]
thumbnail_zpsodkuhual.jpg
thumbnail%201_zpsp0tmmjoh.jpg
thumbnail%204_zpswdngqovv.jpg
thumbnail%205_zpsw5lv3jei.jpg

S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Black GT w/performance package
Just turned in my car for this same problem under extended warranty. Trunk stopped opening half way through me washing the car and going in and out of it for rags. Camera had been out for about a week prior. The service tech told me that it was common on the 15's and that they would most likely replace the wiring harness.

Sponsored
OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Just turned in my car for this same problem under extended warranty. Trunk stopped opening half way through me washing the car and going in and out of it for rags. Camera had been out for about a week prior. The service tech told me that it was common on the 15's and that they would most likely replace the wiring harness.
I can see why. Those wires are so thin... Stupid engineering. :doh:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Glad you were able to fix it AND your pics will give a visual reference to future owners who WILL have the same issue. It’s a problem in all 2015-2017’s and usually will reveal itself to those who use their trunk lids more often than those who don’t...

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
How did you guys even manage to get the trunk open in the first place for convertibles? I tried to use the manual key release behind the rear seat but it didn’t work
I believe there is a place where you can incert your key behind the rear back seat and unlock it manually.

2018-07-11_13-09-05_zpsgvlcqawm.png