Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
It probably isn't totaled since it doesn't look like there was any serious damage to the actual frame itself mostly panels and the front support that, but once they take it apart we can be wrong
Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Nothing wrong with normal driving on stock Pirellis in cold weather. Just let them heat up normally and drive like you are suppose too.

There is a blue & white decal in the driver's door jamb in any Mustang with summer-only performance tires that clearly says not to drive on these tires in cold weather.

I had an '11 Brembo Package GT with summer-only Pirellis that absolutely sucked when the temps were below 50. I ended up replacing them with high performance all season tires and am so much happier for doing so.

Glad to hear the OP is okay. Not buying the hydroplaning story, though, as there's no standing water in any of the pics. The real culprit is the summer-only tires. Ford should really offer a no-charge all season option on PP models. They finally starting offering this option on Taurus SHO's, as well as Focus & Fiesta ST's.

jtiedemann4

2015 Magnetic Mustang GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Live in LA also. Switch to Winter Mode in the rain and you won't have the problem. Drives like a 4 cylinder and keeps things in check. Also when it's cold out until the tires warm up.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
So I was just on a road trip to a Church convention and hydroplaned and went head on in the wall. Needless to say I'm very thankful to God me and my friend were completely okay without a scratch, although I'm sad about my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear about your car...and glad to hear you're ok.

I hope you can be honest with us and tell us how fast you were going so people can somewhat be relieved/or not about their PP tires

Sponsored

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Glad everyone is ok. Though I doubt that you literally hydroplaned, that happens when there is more standing water than your tire can displace and your car literally turns in to a boat. Looks more like summer tires + damp road + cooler temps conspired against your tire traction. Also throw a little thanks to Ford engineers and government crash mandates while your at it.

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Race Red
I was just going to parrot what Caballo said. "Hydroplaning" and getting the rear out are two separate things. This is my first RWD car and I've already realized 3 things: A) I need to be careful on the throttle and B) I need all seasons or snows (I'm planning on going skiing and I live in rainy ol' Seattle, and C) Though "Snow / Wet" mode seems like cheating, I need to use it.

These cars do seem like they're built like tanks though. I REALLY want to point out some irony, but I'm just glad you're ok :D

<Edited to remove (some) snarky comments >

Pokergeneg

POKERGENE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO
Glad you are o.k., sorry about the car; noticed the road was wet--can't tell
in the photos--but cold enough maybe some ice. I won't be taking my GT
Premium CO out 12/30 or 12/31 because here in Las Vegas will be raining
Tue and turning into snow Wed-------Yes I said Las Vegas. "I will date a
Plain Jane but I will never drive one".

Celestias

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (Silver Ingot)
Sorry to hear this as that is quite Scary. Glad your ok though. Recently it's rained heavily where I live and winter/rain mode helped me out. Sometimes there's nothing u can do to prevent a crash though and knowing it will hold up like that to keep us safe is nice.

Sponsored

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Read some old reviews on the Pirelli P Zero tires specifically in a Road and Track "Blind" comparison tire evaluation and the results were pretty damning I must say. Out of nine tires tested in "General" daily driver road conditions, the P Zeroes came in dead last! The testers at R &T were very surprised (and I'm paraphrasing here) how poorly the tires handled anything but track-like dry road conditions overall especially considering the cost per tire After reading that review, I may be considering other tire options in my immediate future

P51Guy

P51Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premiun GT Guard PP
Really sorry to see this. Glad you & your friend are ok. Hope to see you up and running soon.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Some info on hydroplaning versus wet traction.
As a rule, tread design affects hydroplaning resistance at high speeds and in deep water. Tread compound affects wet traction at lower speeds or in shallow water.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=16

Tire Rack tests are a useful source of comparative tire performance data. Also sometimes you can compare, for example, the wet cornering g's of summer tires with that of all season tires. In general with good tread depth a summer tire will actually do better in the wet than the equivalent all season tire until the weather gets "cold". Tread depth is the biggest factor in many situations. This video comparing wet braking distances for different tread depths is interesting. http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=5&tab=tires

Dick

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Glad you are ok! How was the weather conditions when u had the accident? I see you live in LA and have the PP wheels.

GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V-6