Sponsored

Tips after accident

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
That puppy is totaled. I'm surprised your eyesight and dexterity is the same after that accident. Let alone the nightmares and sleepless nights that causes you to miss work/lost wages. :gossip:
Truth.
Glad you're OK, and even if you are, see a Doctor - Now.
That tight, burning sensation in your wrists from bracing for the impact will take over a week to go away even with steroids. Same with the pain in your hands...
After a day or so your teeth will hurt from the clinching, see your dentist - stress fractures in enamel will come back to haunt you later.
Save all the receipts and be 100% prepared to go to court for the difference between what you are offered in insurance and what you put into it (minus depreciation) - including mods.
I hope you had a dash cam or a LIST of witnesses, even with what may appear to be a cut and dry case. The other person almost always changes their story...
The vehicle. Well...
I had a 1995 Ranger that was in incredible shape, modded to the max with all sorts of stuff - an Internet "star" back in the day. 2002 I got rear ended and it pushed the entire rear flush with the Class III hitch. Common theory was, if the frame was straight, it's not totaled, but they gave me the option.
1 month later it was "fixed" - looked GREAT, but the engine/trans shifted 1" forward and on turns there were noises. After 3-4 trips back to the shop the differential went (pinion bearing seized), and a month after that the pilot bearing in the clutch seized - all due to stresses from the accident. The pinion bearing was squished in the seat and the pilot bearing was pushed over half way out of it's seat from hydraulic action - like when you pack it with grease and hammer a dowel in the center to remove it.
Within 6 months the transmission went - post mortem was not as certain but they determined it "could" have been related - no leaks, no breakage, but essentially every thrust bearing in the driveline was affected by the massive impact.
Total or not, that's up to you...
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
A good insurance company should have a check in your hand a week after it's been determined if the car is totaled or not. It's always a lot easier when someone else is at fault. I've only had one accident and I totaled the car (passed out while driving). Even then, Progressive had a check in my hand the next week for the value of the car which ended up being 5k more than what I paid thanks to my EX wife's great ability to haggle deals.

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Hello,

just had mine totaled. File a claim with your insurance and pay the deductible. Get the police report. Get the car repaired or totaled, while insurance companies fight for liability. My car was totaled at 22k 2015 mustang gt/pp. I got 32.5k actual cash value and i only owed 24k. So i have about 8.5k to buy a new car in the meantime, while they fight for liability. I got my check in about a week. I am not accepting any shared in my case, guy made an improper left turn at an intersection without green arrow and hit me directly. He was even ticketed for improper turn, even though he believes its not his fault. I did not run a red light. We may have to go to Arbitration Court to have a 3rd party decide if his insurance does not take fault. May take months. If he is 100% at fault ill get my deductible and rental back another 1k. Now i am looking for a new car, might get the SS 1LE.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yeah, probably totaled.

We can't tell you what to expect, it's your insurance co. and you know better than us.

Be happy you're o.k., and I'd plan on suing the other driver's insurance for a bit extra to cover whatever you lose through your insurance. You should be compensated fairly, get a new 2018 car of the same spec.

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
That is such a sad sight to see. Glad you are okay, as others have said GO TO THE DOCTORS and get checked out. One thing some forget about is the eye doc - airbag fumes and impact can affect your eyes, so get them checked as well. Hope they total it to be honest - means you can get an '18 or a '17 at a GREAT deal :)

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
you can expect dreams about still having the car, random emotional crying, and cravings for strange foods in the middle of the night that you would have to drive to get...

...like pregnancy without the nasty results.