Tips after accident

Tahoe15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP, 2004 F-150, 1971 Chevy K10
Driving home, other driver decides to turn left right in front of me. I was doing about 55 mph, no time to react, jammed on the Brembos, doubt I slowed at all. Really impressed with the safety of these cars, was able to open the door and get out. First time I had driven it in 6 months due to our winter. It was a 2015 GTPP, 50th trim, with 20,000 miles on it. No decision yet on if it's totaled, or will be repaired. My insurance is handling the claim at this point, will go after other insurance.
Anybody have any advice or tips on what to expect and how to handle this?
IMG_1237.jpg
IMG_1238.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg
Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Totaled, if the engine shifted.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
Sorry this happened and hope you are alright ...just remember a car can always be replaced A life can't

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
That's a sickening pic, I have the same car. Glad ur OK

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well, you get the check and go buy another one pretty much.

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I'm gonna say it's totaled, glad you're ok. Another example of the S550 chassis holding up and people walking away.

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
You want it totaled, never be the same. Glad you are ok!!

OP
OP

Tahoe15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP, 2004 F-150, 1971 Chevy K10
Thanks for nice thoughts, not injured just a little sore.
I guess my question was more of, what to expect from the insurance company. How bad are they going to try to screw me, and is there anything I can say that might benefit me?
I know I want it totaled, they said if it's repairable, they have to repair it.

trbstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
87 5.0 LX, 16 PP GT Premium
Depends on your insurance company and the other driver's if you deal with them. In my experience, all with State Farm as mine and luckily the other party's insurance, I was more than happy with the results. I had a claim denied by the other insurance due to a not authorized driver, so had to use mine on one claim, just had to eat the deductible. On the total, they offered me MORE than I paid for the car 2 yrs prior. This was in line with the average cars for sale in my area at the time. I got about 6 comps, ran all of the valuation websites, and came up with a retail value number I wanted. State Farm was $47 off from my number! I did get them to pay me about 50% for some mods I did to it, cai, hitch, wiring, so I didn't bother removing them. But if they won't give you at least that much, you can remove the mods and sell them separately. Make sure you get any sales tax and title & license fees since you will have to pay all of them on the new car. They need to make you whole.

You don't have to take their first offer if you have pretty good research about the value.
It is a negotiation process and of course they want to pay as little as possible. Hopefully you will get a good offer though. On my 16 GT I did finance everything since I got it for 1.9%, so I got GAP coverage just in case. At least it will be fully paid off if anything happens in the next 5 years.

Good luck on it!

Last edited:

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for nice thoughts, not injured just a little sore.
I guess my question was more of, what to expect from the insurance company. How bad are they going to try to screw me, and is there anything I can say that might benefit me?
That puppy is totaled. I'm surprised your eyesight and dexterity is the same after that accident. Let alone the nightmares and sleepless nights that causes you to miss work/lost wages. :gossip:

Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
First off, I would not fear them saying "oh yeah we'll fix this", that car is done.

Secondly, not an insurance expert, but I'm pretty sure if its within a grand or two of being a loss, you could argue for them to total it out. Especially if the body shop were to say "once we get in there, the cost may go up" or something like that. I know I've seen people do the opposite and argue the number down to save themselves from a salvage title.

The car did its job, you're safe. I wouldn't expect to see this back on the road again.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
That's totaled in my eyes and I hope so too for your sake. The throttle body and probably its bolts are probably banged up and the motor got a love tap.

PIsenhour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray Metallic
Damn shame. Hope your ok.
It is totaled. Just get plenty of pictures and let your insurance company do the rest.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Pleased you are ok, that looks pretty nasty,
Did the Police nick the other driver ? for dangerous driving
so many A Holes just don't look these days
I had a 4x4 the other day, just decide to pull over into my lane, lucky i was alert and saw him start to move, slammed on the brakes done the hooter and gave him a right mouthful

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
That puppy is totaled. I'm surprised your eyesight and dexterity is the same after that accident. Let alone the nightmares and sleepless nights that causes you to miss work/lost wages. :gossip:
No joke, go see a doctor. I was in an accident years ago, and a week later I had 40% reduction in neck movement. 3 pinched nerves. Get it all documented for the lawsuit.
Sponsored