19GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2015 4C, 2019 Ducati, 2008 FJ
Vehicle Showcase
I on the other hand hope for decades more of ICE autos for those of us who want them. Resale value is merely a distant concern. I hope my car-obsessed young boys can one day enjoy these cars as I have/do. EV's are no more reliable especially when in the hands of a powerful few (and some unelected to boot) that have access to simply flip a switch .
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Damn, I guess I should have bought the ESP for my 2017 before my warranty was up. I thought once they got past a certain number of miles they were "good to go" or as reliable as any other engine at that point. Sad to see the 29,000 mile failure.

What's going to happen once these cars haven't been in production for awhile?
Yeah that's my question also. I think that once the Voodoo stockpile is depleted at Ford we'll be SOL when it comes to engine replacement under warranty. I was told the same thing happened with the Taurus SHO.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
My hope with the S550 GT350 is that the push to go all electric - for example, California's mandate to sell all alternatively fueled vehicles by 2035 - will make these cars more desirable over time given that it is most likely the last NA, big V8 Shelby Mustang ever produced.......and folks like us will yearn for the days where a sports car sounded and drove like a sports car. Interesting how the linked article start out "Last week, California Governor Gavin Newson leaned over the hood of a Ford Mustang Mach-E and signed an executive order saying that all new passenger cars and trucks sold in the state must be emission-free by 2035." https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/cars/california-2035-zev-mandate/index.html
This being the same Governor people are trying to recall?
I think people's eyes are beginning to open to all these radical "green new deal" politicians. And the recent events in Texas have certainly soured people's idea of emission free energy.
The next 4 years will be rough. Things could begin to change in 2 yrs with the mid-term elections. Things have to hit a low, before people demand things go back to where they were, to some degree.
That said, EV will continue to grow. But once large segments of the population see the shortfalls of the vehicles, and the infrastructure, they'll start going back to gasoline powered cars.
Remember the 70's with all those horrible cars that were being made to save gas? Eventually people demanded a return to normalcy, and high performance cars were being built once again.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This being the same Governor people are trying to recall?
I think people's eyes are beginning to open to all these radical "green new deal" politicians. And the recent events in Texas have certainly soured people's idea of emission free energy.
The next 4 years will be rough. Things could begin to change in 2 yrs with the mid-term elections. Things have to hit a low, before people demand things go back to where they were, to some degree.
That said, EV will continue to grow. But once large segments of the population see the shortfalls of the vehicles, and the infrastructure, they'll start going back to gasoline powered cars.
Remember the 70's with all those horrible cars that were being made to save gas? Eventually people demanded a return to normalcy, and high performance cars were being built once again.
Just a reminder - the Texas grid failure wasn't because of green energy sources. #fakenews

EDIT: Because apparently some folks are salty:

From AP news: https://apnews.com/article/why-texas-power-grid-failed-2eaa659d2ac29ff87eb9220875f23b34

But planning for this winter didn’t imagine temperatures cold enough to freeze natural gas supply lines and stop wind turbines from spinning. By Wednesday, 46,000 megawatts of power were offline statewide — 28,000 from natural gas, coal and nuclear plants and 18,000 from wind and solar, according to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates the state’s power grid.

“Every one of our sources of power supply underperformed,” Daniel Cohan, an associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at Rice University in Houston, tweeted. “Every one of them is vulnerable to extreme weather and climate events in different ways. None of them were adequately weatherized or prepared for a full realm of weather and conditions.”
Also - important to keep in mind that wind was generating more energy than predicted for these conditions and the the only reason the wind failed was because they didn't add the "winterizing package" when purchasing ;) (same story for thermal generators).

Last edited:

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
My hope with the S550 GT350 is that the push to go all electric - for example, California's mandate to sell all alternatively fueled vehicles by 2035 - will make these cars more desirable over time given that it is most likely the last NA, big V8 Shelby Mustang ever produced.......and folks like us will yearn for the days where a sports car sounded and drove like a sports car. Interesting how the linked article start out "Last week, California Governor Gavin Newson leaned over the hood of a Ford Mustang Mach-E and signed an executive order saying that all new passenger cars and trucks sold in the state must be emission-free by 2035." https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/cars/california-2035-zev-mandate/index.html
A lot of things have to happen in order for that to pass and I think 2035 is a little too ambitious. That idiot will be gone soon anyway.

Yeah that's my question also. I think that once the Voodoo stockpile is depleted at Ford we'll be SOL when it comes to engine replacement under warranty. I was told the same thing happened with the Taurus SHO.
I wouldn't worry about that plus that Taurus SHO engine was made by Yamaha not Ford.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Ohhh the gen 2 SHO (‘96-‘99).... what a disaster that was. I loved my SHO, but those cars had a major design flaw which lead to a massive amount of failures in a short amount of time. Ford replaced all the engines under warranty but never admitted there was a problem. One of the forum members had 3 engines fail within 30,000 total miles, at which time Ford bought the car back. A very large number of SHO owners discovered the issue and had it fixed before the engine tanked. In fact, our signatures at the bottom of posts would include the term “welded”, meaning the problem had been fixed prior to failure.

The Yamaha designed V8 engine in the SHO had an intereference type valve/cylinder design. The fatal flaw existed where the cam shaft and sprocket met. Someone decided to swedge those two pieces of metal together instead of welding. Eventually, the shaft would spin free from the sprocket, and the valves would be crushed by the piston. The fix involved welding the sprocket to the shaft before those two pieces of metal separated. Total labor was 5 hrs. Instead of deploying that fix to the fleet, Ford denied the issue ever existed and decided instead to end production of the SHO prematurely. A lawsuit ensued..... and like all legal action against automakers, nothing happened.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane :)

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Just a reminder - the Texas grid failure wasn't because of green energy sources. #fakenews

EDIT: Because apparently some folks are salty:

From AP news: https://apnews.com/article/why-texas-power-grid-failed-2eaa659d2ac29ff87eb9220875f23b34

Also - important to keep in mind that wind was generator more energy than predicted for these conditions and the the only reason the wind failed was because they didn't add the "winterizing package" when purchasing ;) (same story for thermal generators).
Not sure if you were directing the edits at me but, I just wanted to let you know that I was not being serious.

I like to react to posts as Angry sometimes. I think the emoji is funny, and it never never gets used. I wasn't directing anything towards you :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I like to react to posts as Angry sometimes. I think its funny because the reaction doesn't get used. I wasn't directing anything towards you

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Ohhh the gen 2 SHO (‘96-‘99).... what a disaster that was. I loved my SHO, but those cars had a major design flaw which lead to a massive amount of failures in a short amount of time. Ford replaced all the engines under warranty but never admitted there was a problem. One of the forum members had 3 engines fail within 30,000 total miles, at which time Ford bought the car back. A very large number of SHO owners discovered the issue and had it fixed before the engine tanked. In fact, our signatures at the bottom of posts would include the term “welded”, meaning the problem had been fixed prior to failure.

The Yamaha designed V8 engine in the SHO had an intereference type valve/cylinder design. The fatal flaw existed where the cam shaft and sprocket met. Someone decided to swedge those two pieces of metal together instead of welding. Eventually, the shaft would spin free from the sprocket, and the valves would be crushed by the piston. The fix involved welding the sprocket to the shaft before those two pieces of metal separated. Total labor was 5 hrs. Instead of deploying that fix to the fleet, Ford denied the issue ever existed and decided instead to end production of the SHO prematurely. A lawsuit ensued..... and like all legal action against automakers, nothing happened.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane :)
Yep, had a 96 SHO and had the cams welded when my service manager told me about the cam sprocket issue. The car was out of warranty. After that we put 100K on the car before trading it in on a new car. (not a SHO) We had a 91 five speed manual SHO which we loved. Should have kept it and not traded it for the 96.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; Been following this and other threads for a while. At first I was hoping to find out how common engine failures are. I now know that sort of information is unlikely to find. A question occurred to me. If a person found them selves with a good chassis and a blown Voodoo, Coyote or ecoboost engine, what might be a good replacement engine?
I guess there will have to be some conditions. First would be no factory or other warranty to fall back on.
Second would have to be money is a factor sort of situation. Where a person cannot afford to or is not willing to put back the same type of engine which had just failed. Maybe because they no longer trust the engine or the cost of an exact replacement is high.

In the old days finding a different replacement engine was not a problem. My firs car was a 57 Chevy four door with a straight six. When the six went bad I found a small block V8 and stuck it in. No problems. For example there is currently a thread running about an eccoboost engine failure in a Mustang, but the same sort of question applies to a late model Mustang with a Coyote or Voodoo V8. Is there an aftermarket or crate engine which can be used in place of the factory original?
I am thinking in some ways of the engine management systems as well as the possible better reliability of the replacement engines. May be the case that the computer management system built into a chassis will not allow a substitute.

I get that some swaps would be more desirable than others. Replacing an eccoboost four or a V6 with a V8 might be thought of as a step up. While replacing a Coyote or a Voodoo with a different V8 might be considered a step down. This is not exactly the question I am asking, although I do get as to how replacing a Voodoo with a Voodoo might be the preference, there may be other factors in play. let me make up an imaginary situation. Say a fellow has a decent V8 engine sitting in a shop out of a totaled wreck and a clean Mustang chassis and with a blown Coyote or Voodoo. Can the swap work without a lot of trouble or are things today such that a swap like that is not workable or maybe not even legal?

Is this is a dumb question?
an example..

also check out honey badgers videos.... if the block is good you can rebuild and improve the parts...

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not sure if you were directing the edits at me but, I just wanted to let you know that I was not being serious.

I like to react to posts as Angry sometimes. I think the emoji is funny, and it never never gets used. I wasn't directing anything towards you :)

All good. You weren't the only one :)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
an example..

also check out honey badgers videos.... if the block is good you can rebuild and improve the parts...
Hello; Just watched both videos. In the first one it is not clear to me what they have done in terms of the engine. I gathered there was some sort of failure in the past and they are trying out some new stuff. Not sure if they had used a different type of engine or had modified the type which was stock for the car. They had put a turbo on is one thing noted. They seemed to know a lot about the way the computer management systems worked and much of the video was about them trying to work out the programing.
The connections between the computer, the sensors and systems of a modern engine are what my initial question was about. I guess I could not expect to shove in any engine which would fit the engine bay and have it to work. My take is a non computer controlled engine could not be made to work with the computer stuff built into a chassis. That at some level the replacement engine will have to match up to what the computer is expecting.

A little over a year ago I went to look at a shop in Knoxville TN. The guy makes 50's Porsche replicas. 356 era speedsters and coupes. He welds up his own chassis on a jig he built. He makes fiberglass bodies. He uses Subaru engines and running gear. As he was explaining the process one thing stood out to me. That was he had spent a lot of time getting the engine computer to be satisfied. He buys a wrecked Subaru and pulls the entire wiring harness to reuse. Apparently he had some problems early on getting the engine computer to work with the new chassis.
Anyway he builds mostly speedster bodies. I was interested in a coupe. He had a coupe about half way done but it was spoken for. I ask him to call if the deal fell thru on it but he has not called. Then the virus happened so I do not know what the situation is. He wanted almost 50K for his creation so my interest waned some at that. I can get some nice cars for 50K.

The second video was of interest. I guess the damage to that engine has to be looked at in terms of the abuse. That he was planning to reuse many of the scored parts was of interest. Thanks for the videos.

I will figure at this point, those with late model mustangs are going to have to use some variant of a Coyote engine family if they need a replacement engine.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; Just watched both videos. In the first one it is not clear to me what they have done in terms of the engine. I gathered there was some sort of failure in the past and they are trying out some new stuff. Not sure if they had used a different type of engine or had modified the type which was stock for the car. They had put a turbo on is one thing noted. They seemed to know a lot about the way the computer management systems worked and much of the video was about them trying to work out the programing.
The connections between the computer, the sensors and systems of a modern engine are what my initial question was about. I guess I could not expect to shove in any engine which would fit the engine bay and have it to work. My take is a non computer controlled engine could not be made to work with the computer stuff built into a chassis. That at some level the replacement engine will have to match up to what the computer is expecting.

A little over a year ago I went to look at a shop in Knoxville TN. The guy makes 50's Porsche replicas. 356 era speedsters and coupes. He welds up his own chassis on a jig he built. He makes fiberglass bodies. He uses Subaru engines and running gear. As he was explaining the process one thing stood out to me. That was he had spent a lot of time getting the engine computer to be satisfied. He buys a wrecked Subaru and pulls the entire wiring harness to reuse. Apparently he had some problems early on getting the engine computer to work with the new chassis.
Anyway he builds mostly speedster bodies. I was interested in a coupe. He had a coupe about half way done but it was spoken for. I ask him to call if the deal fell thru on it but he has not called. Then the virus happened so I do not know what the situation is. He wanted almost 50K for his creation so my interest waned some at that. I can get some nice cars for 50K.

The second video was of interest. I guess the damage to that engine has to be looked at in terms of the abuse. That he was planning to reuse many of the scored parts was of interest. Thanks for the videos.

I will figure at this point, those with late model mustangs are going to have to use some variant of a Coyote engine family if they need a replacement engine.
That is what I surmised as well.. if for some reason the voodoo replacement engines were not available and I had to replace mine the Ford coyote would be an option.. I am pretty confident in the engine block in the second gen voodoo is going to hold up and can just be rebuilt
Sponsored