Sponsored

GT350R: value impact of a replacement engine?

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
Are GT350Rs with replacement engines selling for any less than those with original engines?

I am looking at a 2019 GT350R for sale with 14K miles for about $75K. The engine was replaced under warranty at 10K miles. The car looks pretty flawless with ceramic coating, front PPF, and a 5 year / 60K mile Ford Protect plan. It has a roll cage installed, which is a benefit for me, since I plan to track the car.
Sponsored

Whopperman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Viper GT, 2019 GT350R
Are GT350Rs with replacement engines selling for any less than those with original engines?

I am looking at a 2019 GT350R for sale with 14K miles for about $75K. The engine was replaced under warranty at 10K miles. The car looks pretty flawless with ceramic coating, front PPF, and a 5 year / 60K mile Ford Protect plan. It has a roll cage installed, which is a benefit for me, since I plan to track the car.
I have no clue, but I'm sure in the distant future it might be worth a bit more since out of the ~2.3k Rs ~1k will have original engines, but probably with no miles. That probably wont matter much since you'd have a roll cage so try to get some $ off for it not being stock or original

Hye Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang, 1985 mustang

If you plan to track it then why you worried about resale of an engine replacement. I would think tracking it would hurt the value more than a engine replacement would.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
If you plan to track it then why you worried about resale of an engine replacement. I would think tracking it would hurt the value more than a engine replacement would.

this is the correct answer : )

Sponsored

1.8t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Did they ever explain why the original engine failed? The 19’s have the Gen 2 Voodoo and it “seems” the failures are fewer and via different mechanisms than the Gen 1’s. Either way, as long as it is a documented factory replacement I don’t foresee a measurable impact on resell.

OP
OP
Mr. Maboomba

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Did they ever explain why the original engine failed? The 19’s have the Gen 2 Voodoo and it “seems” the failures are fewer and via different mechanisms than the Gen 1’s. Either way, as long as it is a documented factory replacement I don’t foresee a measurable impact on resell.
I found the original owner's posts on Facebook and it's kind of an unbelievable story... the car was having hesitation/surging at speed and stumbling at idle. There was no CEL or codes. The original owner was advised by the enthusiast community that the issue would likely be addressed by TSB 19-2135 (loose transmission output shaft nut) but their local dealer ignored the advice and swapped out the engine. That did not fix the problem; eventually replacing the transmission output shaft nut did. The original owner ended up buying the original engine from the dealer and reselling it since it had no issues.

It's amazing what you can find on the Internet. And when you hear stories like this it's no surprise that Ford gives dealers a hard time about engine replacement claims. That's an unnecessary $25K expense when a $10 part and 1.6 hours of shop time would have done the job.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I found the original owner's posts on Facebook and it's kind of an unbelievable story... the car was having hesitation/surging at speed and stumbling at idle. There was no CEL or codes. The original owner was advised by the enthusiast community that the issue would likely be addressed by TSB 19-2135 (loose transmission output shaft nut) but their local dealer ignored the advice and swapped out the engine. That did not fix the problem; eventually replacing the transmission output shaft nut did. The original owner ended up buying the original engine from the dealer and reselling it since it had no issues.

It's amazing what you can find on the Internet. And when you hear stories like this it's no surprise that Ford gives dealers a hard time about engine replacement claims. That's an unnecessary $25K expense when a $10 part and 1.6 hours of shop time would have done the job.
That may sound unbelievable but I believe it. Guy I see at the track regularly has had two engine replacements in his 2017. One because of a valvetrain ticking noise (engine otherwise ran fine) and the second time because of a slow oil leak (they could never find the source). Pretty crazy.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)

Something tells me I would had kept that engine!

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP

the internet can be an amazingly useful tool in the right hands. lol.

crazy find and story.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Well if you read BAT and Barn Finds, you will see quite a few of the big muscle cars of the 60’s with new factory engines that were dealer installed long ago, and they still hold their values. But in 25 to 30 years it’s going to be all electric cars anyhow, so no big deal. As for that dumb dealer, I had to threaten Ford with buyback in my 2018 as it was making the trash bag in the wind noise….even though I showed the service manager at Ford it was the rear cylinder block plate and that’s all it needed. The service manager told me to live with it……well once I had corporate involved, the ahole changed his mind….and this was after I got a new engine…..

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
If you plan to track it and its in your price range then I dont see it being a bad transaction. It has a roll bar in there for you so that's $1500 you dont have to spend on one then getting it put in. Like others said, its under warranty so have at it.

I see you have a Gt350 already but I think you also posted in a thread if it was worth upgrading to the R.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The value effect will always be in the perception of a given buyer. One member here said he did have trouble selling his car for as much following an engine replacement, but this was before the Covid bubble of demand. Since you're the buyer you'd have to decide for yourself.

Many engines have been replaced without explanation of why or whether it was even needed. Ford later mentioned in a bulletin that a good number of gen 1 engines were replaced for excessive oil consumption but in retrospect were likely mechanically still fine.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

How was the original owner able to buy the removed engine? I thought the VooDoo engines were not allowed to be purchased after a warranty claim and it was a requirement of Ford NOT to release hardware like a VooDoo back to the public, that it HAD to be returned to Ford?

OP
OP
Mr. Maboomba

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
How was the original owner able to buy the removed engine? I thought the VooDoo engines were not allowed to be purchased after a warranty claim and it was a requirement of Ford NOT to release hardware like a VooDoo back to the public, that it HAD to be returned to Ford?
I have no idea; however, I did see photos of it out of the car on Facebook. Maybe Ford rejected the warranty claim after they realized what the dealer had done and the dealer tried to recoup part of their out of pocket costs?

1644351844962.png
Sponsored