Sponsored

10r80 SUCKS!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Im just venting my frustration, 4th set of Mcleod clutches going into my car......made close to 1200 wheel on the dyno but so far i havent been able to use even 1000 of it......these 10r80's are weak sauce!!!!
If you’re having multiple failures using the same parts - then the problems lies within:
  • The shop or person rebuilding the transmission.
  • Deficiencies with the actual parts being used.
There’s been plenty of high HP S550’s using the 10R80 with much success, read through this one with 1,433HP:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/1-433-hp-put-through-10r80.126488/

Maybe something in that article can help or you can reach out to their sources to determine what is causing all of your failures.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Easy fix, put in a 6R80. Done.

Or up the 10R80 line pressure, machine the apply pistons thinner to hold more clutches, and set the stack height to minimum clearance.

If you triple the HP, you will need more than upgraded clutches.

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT pp Paxton e85
Having same issues. Replacing clutches again with only a little north of 1k. About to replace clutches again when built motor goes in and about to be pushing like 1200whp. I can't imagine what it will do after this. I wish we could get some upgrades on this trans to hold some manly power!!!!

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I'm definitely not surprised. but I figured with the aftermarket clutches, it would hold better seems how that is what is going wrong every time. What's thepthe point in having aftermarket clutches if it can't handle a lot of power???

And I'm more concerned about when somebody is going to make aftermarket parts to hold the power

Sponsored

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
There is nothing but clutches and converter to build lol. They don't have anything for it yet is the issue.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Now there's 4 more gears that have to fit into a transmission for the space available. Just spit balling here, but something or things had to be made smaller and less strong.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

NotQuik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Have you noticed how many people are going TH400 when getting to 1200+ RWHP in the 18+ cars? There's a reason for it.

You mentioned Brett LaSala but bare in mind he "only" went 7.78 on the 6r80 not bottom 7's...he swapped to a glide shortly after in which the car went 7.33 and I think more ran recently 7.25 with the help of Real Street. His 6r80 record was broke last year by a Lund car that went 7.67 which currently holds the 6r80 record. I'd imagine that you're not far off on them have additional units ready to swap out when needed.

That was beside the point...Remember, everything has its limit...you're asking for a lot and the 10r80 clearly isn't there yet. Many of us are watching as well.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Even the older TH400 needs to be built to handle lots of HP. I have built TH400's for drag racing.

If you don't up the line pressure to dramatically increase the hydraulic apply pressure on the clutches, they won't last long.

Any high HP trans must have substantially higher line pressure hold, any good trans builder knows this.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
People keep saying there is only clutches and converter for 10r80's... Well no other parts you "make stronger" is going to allow it to hold more power. By changing the friction material you're basically moving to a rougher sandpaper in a sense. But not actually increasing anything.
The other issue I'm having here is that no one has mentioned tuning issues. It is not hard at all to burn up a set of clutches.

My car when it was stock motor and transmission made 959whp @11lbs. I ran it like this from 7lbs being my lowest to 13lbs my highest for months. With no issues. Including everything from street racing to tonsss of passes at the track.

Now onto a "built 10r80". To really get something that is going to hold more power like I said you can't just change the friction material, you need to add more clutches and steals. Limitless Performance and Fabrication has modified the clutch baskets to where each basket is holding 3-4 more frictions/clutches.
One thing the OP does mention is that "the bottom 8" guys have multuple transmissions. I am on my one and only 10r80 that I have. You're more than welcome to check out my youtube where I have shown pulling the trans out before. Multiple times actually! First time of course was to swap from stock to adding in mcloed clutches and packing extras in each clutch pack. Second time wasn't until I went built motor, in which Justin inspected all of the clutches and they looked fresh, even after running 8's. So now built motor is in and head off to Georgia from Texas for Mod Nationals. After 5 passes, each one below 8.6 with a fastest of 8.2, the front bushing in my new Circle D converter pushed itself out. Get back home to Texas, pull the trans swap back to stock converter, throw on a 50 shot of nitrous and back to the track. Multiple bottom 8's with fastest of 8.1. Get the converter back from Circle D,slap it in, back to the track and make it about 10 passes then at flashlight shootout in Dallas the bushing does the exact same thing. During the start of TX2K pull the trans again, take the circle d converter back to circle d, replace valve body and filter, inspect all the clutches, 95% looked new, replaced a couple, got the converter back and slapped it back in. Haven't had any headaches with the converter or trans since.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
People keep saying there is only clutches and converter for 10r80's... Well no other parts you "make stronger" is going to allow it to hold more power. By changing the friction material you're basically moving to a rougher sandpaper in a sense. But not actually increasing anything.
The other issue I'm having here is that no one has mentioned tuning issues. It is not hard at all to burn up a set of clutches.

My car when it was stock motor and transmission made 959whp @11lbs. I ran it like this from 7lbs being my lowest to 13lbs my highest for months. With no issues. Including everything from street racing to tonsss of passes at the track.

Now onto a "built 10r80". To really get something that is going to hold more power like I said you can't just change the friction material, you need to add more clutches and steals. Limitless Performance and Fabrication has modified the clutch baskets to where each basket is holding 3-4 more frictions/clutches.
One thing the OP does mention is that "the bottom 8" guys have multuple transmissions. I am on my one and only 10r80 that I have. You're more than welcome to check out my youtube where I have shown pulling the trans out before. Multiple times actually! First time of course was to swap from stock to adding in mcloed clutches and packing extras in each clutch pack. Second time wasn't until I went built motor, in which Justin inspected all of the clutches and they looked fresh, even after running 8's. So now built motor is in and head off to Georgia from Texas for Mod Nationals. After 5 passes, each one below 8.6 with a fastest of 8.2, the front bushing in my new Circle D converter pushed itself out. Get back home to Texas, pull the trans swap back to stock converter, throw on a 50 shot of nitrous and back to the track. Multiple bottom 8's with fastest of 8.1. Get the converter back from Circle D,slap it in, back to the track and make it about 10 passes then at flashlight shootout in Dallas the bushing does the exact same thing. During the start of TX2K pull the trans again, take the circle d converter back to circle d, replace valve body and filter, inspect all the clutches, 95% looked new, replaced a couple, got the converter back and slapped it back in. Haven't had any headaches with the converter or trans since.

How did you pack in extras?

OP
OP

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you’re having multiple failures using the same parts - then the problems lies within:
  • The shop or person rebuilding the transmission.
  • Deficiencies with the actual parts being used.
There’s been plenty of high HP S550’s using the 10R80 with much success, read through this one with 1,433HP:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/1-433-hp-put-through-10r80.126488/

Maybe something in that article can help or you can reach out to their sources to determine what is causing all of your failures.
appreciate your input, i have a very capable shop doing the 10r80 stuff....that being said im sure there a a very limited few with 10r80 and over 1000 wheel surviving....my car is likely one of the heavies cars on the planet S550 wise as i weigh 450lbs and have little to no weight reduction other then basic stuff to go fast like a DS and brakes to fit welds, i see these cars no exhaust, kirky seats 200lb drivers etc etc much lighter....also my car made 1209 on the dyno in 6th gear BUT i didnt get to even a 1000 wheel setting on my controller and am having issues....

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT

Thank you, for your Explanation, James.

Would you mind sharing the final race weight on your car ??

My build is almost ready and I'm afraid for my car's 10R80 specially with the extra torque of the built sleeved stroker motor + the twin 64s, I'm thinking here, I will be having the same issues (if not worst) as Heinz is at the track. I was at the track with him several times and have seen first hand what he is going throught and it's very frustrating. We had supercharged and turbo 6R80 cars in the past and never experienced anything like that before. Matter of fact, most of our other friends running the 6R80 Gen 2 cars are constantly smiling and having fun at the track.

I will be calling Limitless performance this coming week to order this extra baskets or whatever the "solution" is because there is nothing more embarrassing to me than building (me) a mega turbo project with built everything to be running 7-10 lbs of boost MAX everytime and running 9.7-10.0s LMAO. I don't wanna go the TH-400 route, unless it's inevitable.

Thank you, one more time for your reply, and I really hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel with the 10R80 and a way to make it bullet proof like we are able to do with the 6R80 and other transmissions available for us today.
Sponsored

Last edited: