Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
that’s the purpose of the fuse
UNless it's a fusible link, like a strip of aluminum running between 2 terminals (which I totally forgot about). But it wouldn't be called a fuse.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The blown fuse is a mystery. The chassis electrical diagram I have shows a 125 Amp fuse on the fuse block that powers exactly one thing - the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM). If that dude's open, the PSCM still has power on the second small connector to run its computer and send out an SOS message that it has no power on the main connector. The BCM responds to this by sending out CAN bus messages shutting down a bunch of other modules; it's programmed to do that ("load shedding") to protect what it thinks is a weak battery. So, your experience isn't out of line with what the car would do if the 125 amp fuse was blown.

upload_2020-2-28_12-35-23.png

As for "programming the battery", it's real. Here's what the factory Service Manual says about it: "If installing a new battery, use the scan tool to carry out the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) reset after the battery is connected" and it also says "If the BMS Reset is not carried out, it [the BCM] holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions."
So if Matt’s dealer didn’t do the reset when they installed the new battery, the conditions will remain. Not necessarily an indication of a bad fuse if it was the failing battery to begin with?

Edit: Anyone know if Forscan can reset the BMS?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That’s splitting hairs. A fuseable link is replaceable as well.

UNless it's a fusible link, like a strip of aluminum running between 2 terminals (which I totally forgot about). But it wouldn't be called a fuse.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So if Matt’s dealer didn’t do the reset when they installed the new battery, the conditions will remain. Not necessarily an indication of a bad fuse if it was the failing battery to begin with?

Edit: Anyone know if Forscan can reset the BMS?
Yes it can.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I installed the battery not dealer. I paid $139
The BMS subsystem will, as @WildHorse said, reset itself (without needing an IDS reset) if the vehicle is allowed to sit in "Sleep Mode" for 8 uninterrupted hours. That means keeping the key far enough away that the sensor can't read it, leaving the doors and trunk closed and letting it sit undisturbed for at least eight hours.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The BMS subsystem will, as @WildHorse said, reset itself (without needing an IDS reset) if the vehicle is allowed to sit in "Sleep Mode" for 8 uninterrupted hours. That means keeping the key far enough away that the sensor can't read it, leaving the doors and trunk closed and letting it sit undisturbed for at least eight hours.
Which begs the question: What about using maintenance (trickle) chargers, mines been on for 5 months, any effects to the BMS?

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
What the hell would cause 120amp fuse to blow, would be my main concern.
I would suspect jumping the car incorrectly on the wrong battery posts would likely do it, other than that maybe a power supply wire grounding out.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Which begs the question: What about using maintenance (trickle) chargers, mines been on for 5 months, any effects to the BMS?
Those Ford guys are pretty clever... the BCM (where the software lives) stays awake and monitors an external charger, so long as the negative charger cable is clipped to the body and not the negative battery terminal. The charging current monitor is on the battery negative wire, and if you bypass it, the BCM doesn't know the battery is being charged.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Guys,

if anyone can kindly walk me through what part needs to change to replace this 125amp component, I would be grateful. Could it be that 125amp fuse is part of the fusebox? And thats why the entire box needs replacing?

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
The diagnosis sounds very suspect to me... especially since they're insisting that the car has to be reprogrammed after a battery swap. Crooked bastards. Looks like you're in a pickle. Good luck.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Looks like there is a “125” etched on the hot post in the top center area of this picture of the fuse box. If someone tried to jump start the car via this post instead of hooking up directly to the battery, they would probably fry a fuse below it. What I don’t know is if this can be replaced individually or if you have to replace the whole fuse box.
I can’t find a part number for this item individually.

upload_2020-2-28_23-46-2.jpeg