Sponsored

PCMtec

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I would call that "lugging". .3-.4 load and 1500 rpm is right smack where these cars cruise at 65-75 mph.
and precisely why I refuse to drive an automatic car and why I pathologically hated the C8 and it's lug the engine at every turn programming.

Anything below 2000 RPM is lugging. Even my F150 (equipped with 3.5TT) I locked out the A10 so it couldn't shift higher than 7th unless I was OVER 70 MPH. I kept it on the "boil" never going below 1800 RPM (most times 2300 RPM) unless rolling to a stop. It's criminal how Ford et. al. dog these motors. They are designed to SPIN. And there is no fuel savings worth a damn in cruise between 8th and 10th gear.

Unless I'm over 80mph I don't even think about using 6th gear in the MT82-D4 paired with 3.73 gears.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yes exactly. Sounds like we’re on the same page finally.
Great. See below.
I also was able to demonstrate the "real" problem this causes. In this log, a full 10 seconds after the false KR came in, I gave it some more throttle to force an rpm and load increase, and a downshift. You can see that the 6 deg of KR had only advanced to about 3 deg of KR (keep in mind this is AFTER the cal was improved). Even going to 3100 rpm and 1.06 load AND downshifting, the KR didn't reset to zero until I let off the throttle. In the past I've seen up to 14 deg of false KR and if you go WOT just after, you might only be running 6 deg of spark.
I see none of that. This you're tune, ya ? You're FI. All my comments were directed at k4 whatever, cause he and I are NA.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
there's no point to flooring the throttle at anything less than 3000 RPM. you're missing out HUGE not spinning the engine. This isn't some crappy-ass pre-'73 v8 engine which can't get out of it's own way.
From a dig my converter will not hit 3000 RP

Anything below 2000 RPM is lugging.
Not at .3 to .5 load.

And there is no fuel savings worth a damn in cruise between 8th and 10th gear.
Don't know about the A10 but if I set my trans to upshift at 2500 at light throttle, it is a lot more fun but costs me at least 5 mpg. I set mine to hit 6th gear (A6) right around 50 mph at light throttle. If I want to accelerate quickly it downshifts. I see no point in wasting my money needlessly on gas.

If I want to rip around the back roads, that is what sport or manual mode is for.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
All my comments were directed at k4 whatever, cause he and I are NA.
It's all the same, easing away from a stop in first gear is where I get the false knock. Very low load. If I floor it off idle there is no sign of knock.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It's all the same, easing away from a stop in first gear is where I get the false knock. Very low load. If I floor it off idle there is no sign of knock.
Yer not racing in those conditions.. so who cares ? Unless your towing a boat with your mustang.

IF you want Ford F150 low rpm/low load performance, by a F150.

Sponsored

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Yer not racing in those conditions.. so who cares
There is this.

I have OCD so it bugs me to see red on the avg knock log. I'm not worried about it cause I know it's false. The VCM scanner will show min, max and avg numbers. It drives me nuts to look at the max* numbers cause Ford runs these engines into knock constantly. So I have taken a lot of time to limit the knock advance to stop just short of knock on 93.

* or min depending on which knock channel you monitor.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ok at least on gen3 there’s a table to change knock retard “amount” as a function of ethanol. The blend table is zero’d from ford. So basically, you could zero the amount at 1000-2000 rpm and .3- .5 load on e85 only. I certainly feel this is safe but doesn’t fix the issue on pump gas.
The gen 2 trucks have this and many more tables that are disabled in the mustang code. I tried to get PCMtec to add them to the mustang cal but after looking at them told me they are not active. So adding them would do nothing as they are not accessed.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
and precisely why I refuse to drive an automatic car and why I pathologically hated the C8 and it's lug the engine at every turn programming.

Anything below 2000 RPM is lugging. Even my F150 (equipped with 3.5TT) I locked out the A10 so it couldn't shift higher than 7th unless I was OVER 70 MPH. I kept it on the "boil" never going below 1800 RPM (most times 2300 RPM) unless rolling to a stop. It's criminal how Ford et. al. dog these motors. They are designed to SPIN. And there is no fuel savings worth a damn in cruise between 8th and 10th gear.

Unless I'm over 80mph I don't even think about using 6th gear in the MT82-D4 paired with 3.73 gears.
That's your driving style and fine and all, but not mine. Either way, the engine calibration shouldn’t limit someone to a certain driving style. Imagine if yours had false knock at 2500 rpm and forum posters said “easy, just keep it under 2000 rpm”.

But that’s not the point. The point is the capabilities of the pcmtec logger and the math behind how the knock determination works.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The point is the capabilities of the pcmtec logger and the math behind how the knock determination works.
Right. And from what I've seen, it's not like Burger King.. can't have it you're way. Unless you're willing to rewrite the engine mustang engine management software.

I mean, you could always get a aftermarket ECU, then the sky's the limit.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Unless you're willing to rewrite the engine mustang engine management software.
Pcmtec has custom OS capability, just waiting for them to roll it out to us in the US

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Pcmtec has custom OS capability, just waiting for them to roll it out to us in the US
I know that. But it ain't here, and who knows if it'll ever be released to the average Joe Schmoe. I doubt it will.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@WildHorse if I’ve learned anything since I started tuning, it’s that the engineers at ford, Volvo, and Bosch are way smarter than any aftermarket or hobby tuners, including myself. There’s a couple million lines of code there that I don’t want to mess with. I’m doing good to understand it and even better if I can manipulate the constants to match my application and preference.

@K4fxd I have the customos capability. It’s released on a case by case basis, but I haven’t had time to work with it yet.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
@engineermike Now you're just bragging... :wink:

I'm itching to play. How far can we take "custom"? Native pwm fuel control with external sensor added? I've got a few things beyond flex I'm more interested in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
@engineermike Now you're just bragging... :wink:

I'm itching to play. How far can we take "custom"? Native pwm fuel control with external sensor added? I've got a few things beyond flex I'm more interested in.
I asked about adding tables that don't exist and was told it is possible to custom write them. So I think your PWM can be written