Beware of Lund

az89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I purchased a Lund nGauge back when my car was naturally aspirated, and then purchased custom tunes and support when we added the Whipple. They did a 91 octane tune, a race gas tune and fuel drain tune. First time at the track it was obvious something wasn't right as the car would fall on it's face on the 1-2 shift; after reviewing the datalog it was pretty apparent that's because it was flaring to 8,200rpms and taking a really long time to actually shift. This was at an event in Vegas so I immediately told them what was going on and they sent me revised tune the next morning - Great turnaround, but that was the last positive in all of this. That new tune did nothing different...

After the event I sent them more logs and told them it was still a problem. At that point they told me my 6R80 was bad and was slipping. The car had 26k miles on it and we were sure the transmission was good, but they wouldn't budge. I ended up buying a new 6R80 from PBH to the tune of $6k+ and guess what? It shifted EXACTLY the same. Lund's response? Yep, you guessed it - They told me the PBH transmission was bad as well.

After a lot of back and forth they finally started modifying the tune to change the shift points, referring to that as a 'hack tune'. I'm guessing they use that terminology anytime they can't just sell a 'canned tune', despite the fact they advertise custom tuning. Their first attempt had the 1-2 shift happening at 5,000rpms, and the 2-3 and 3-4 too low as well. Now we're on rev 11 (yeah, crazy right since these guys are supposed to be professional tuners) and it still isn't right. The 1-2 shift is actually dead on, but the 2-3 and 3-4 are about 500-800 rpms too low.

I sent them the datalog on Thursday and their response was that they wouldn't continue to help me unless I paid for more tuning support. I understand this has been a lengthy process, but I can't get the car out that often, and I've changed nothing on the car, so it's not like they're trying to hit a moving target. For a professional tuner, I find it absurd that even after 11 revisions they can't get it right and are trying to squeeze more money out of me; if they hadn't of insisted my 6R80 was bad and cost me all that money it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but their incompetence and unwillingness to admit their shortcomings cost me a bunch of money, and that's 100% on them.

At this point I'm done with them and told them as much, and not surprising me whatsoever they didn't even bother to reply to the email. So with all of that said, this is an honest review of a company that many people either purchase from, or are considering purchasing from. Be warned, they will screw you too given the opportunity!!!

So, I would love to hear any recommendations others have for tuning. I'm not going to bother changing out the 91 octane tune or fuel drain as they work well enough and I already paid for that and the nGauge. I just need a 108 octane tune that works properly, and don't care if it costs me a lot more than I'd have to pay Lund - They will never get another dollar from me, and I will continue to spread the work on their horrible Customer Service and lack of tuning ability.
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
That’s disappointing to hear.

Post up if you change tuners and what your results and process was like.

What’s your combo?

OP
OP
az89gt

az89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Check my sig for combo.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
You get it rebuilt or was it a different trans? New valve body/solenoids?

Sponsored

dreamvillian_9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
This seems to be the new up and coming trend with Lund. A lot of folks over on the S550 FB group have been mentioning Lund’s poor customer service recently. I’m not tuned at all or knocking Lund, just mentioning what I’ve observed.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Matt, a juggernaut has been doing a great job for us

We had lots of issues and literally just it got so bad that we completely dropped them as a company

Mats been great to work with more personal attention and talks to you like an adult?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, that all tracks kinda normally.

Being a remote tuner, they can't easily diagnose all the quirky cars or operators out there, most of their business is (hopefully) smoother. Other remote tuners will also start talking about cutting you off or asking of more money for tune service after a similar number of troubleshooting sessions.

Anyway, find a local guy or gal is my advice. They can iterate a lot faster with the car in hand and rapidly datalog and adjust. Remotely it takes days to do what a local tuner can do in minutes.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
This is disappointing to hear. As a new owner, Lund Tunes are what everyone is raving about. A good friend of mine who we served together recommended them once I was ready to start modding and tuning. I have a couple of local tuners so I’m going to give them a try. One’s been around for about a decade and the other I was referred to by my mechanic.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
talks to you like an adult?
That adds insult to injury. I asked Lund Sr some questions that a tuner should know and he treated me like I was 6. I did not buy a tune from him.

This was back around 2012.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Lund insisting the problem is mechanical and not tune...........now way dude, that never happens (sarcasm).

A Trump style move would have been to get PBH on a conference with Lund and let them fight about whether the trans is bad. Oh wait, you can't call Lund on the phone. Nevermind.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Had similar issues with Lund. Spoke to me like I was an idiot or a child when I had concerns about some of the shift points and timing in the tune they sent me. After I blew my rings and had the engine rebuilt I had questions regarding said tune and they basically told me I must have done something wrong, that their tune was perfect and that I'd have to pay again to get a revision. Not likely I told them, after they ignored my concerns in the first place and then I blew my engine. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, well that's on me fam.

I use a local guy now.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I used Lund way back in 2014 and had nothing but odd ball issues. He’s also a total A hole to deal with even worse than Shaun Perry who used to have a reputation of being mean. Lund let all the fame and money get to his head NeverMind the baked in tunes y’all Lmfao

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Matt, a juggernaut has been doing a great job for us

We had lots of issues and literally just it got so bad that we completely dropped them as a company

Mats been great to work with more personal attention and talks to you like an adult?
Lund will eventually find the door on his way out