Rotella users beware....

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Yes, I know whipple says to use 5w50 synthetic.... Lemme start by my car has a stage 2 whipple with fore system on e85. (list in sig). So I had been having some weird sounds, intermittently. If I were to go full throttle and then let off completely I would sometimes hear some clatter echo from driverside front. I went over everything under the car over and over. I originally thought I had a pulley going bad or that my tensioner was taking a poop and bouncing on the decel. Keep in mind this only happened if I went full throttle and would let off completely. I adjusted my lower pulley to make the tensioner a smidge tighter. I thought forsure I had fixed the issue. However, it did not. This was driving me nuts. I was at 900 miles on this oil change using Rotella 5w40 full synthetic with one bottle of ceratec. I finally figured it out. The tensioner on the drivers side for the timing chain guide was dropping pressure and what I was hearing was timing chain/guide due to the pressure drop in the tensioner. I mean it sounded bad the few times it did it. I drained the oil and replaced it with castrol edge 5w50 synthetic and one bottle of ceratec (im sure I will get crap for the Castrol too). I put some miles on it yesterday and then gave er a go. over n over. Absolutely dead ass quiet. never made the sound again. The rotella was so thinned out it was crazy. Cut filter and completely clean, the magnet on the drain plug was clean. Im hoping nothing was hurt but just wanted to give a heads up to any users of rotella 5w40. Apparently their oil formula has been changed and its total garbage now. Im sure I will get crap for using it in the first place but have been for awhile now with no issues until now.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the msds/tech sheet. And get yourself the ratcheting tensioners. It's crazy not to run them.

Or you could just stop driving like that. Roll on, roll off.