Floored my new mustang at 650 miles and worried something got damaged

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Engines require heat and pressure to bed things in. Beating on them regularly is the best thing you can do, right from the start.
Two schools of thought on this ... One says to drive it like you stole it during break-in. Another says give all the moving surface a chance to wear a tiny bit first. The theory goes that the sharp edges on sliding components can prevent a proper oil film from forming under heavy loads, which leads to excessive wear on the mating surface. Once the moving parts start to wear just a little bit, the sharp edges break off (microscopically).
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I feel pretty bad because I was driving at the red light one of those assholes in a lifted turbo diesel pick up truck was all revving at me and I couldn't control myself

When the light turned green I gave it some gas and he was still keeping up so then I floored it and just completely gapped him by like a train length!!!

I watched my tachometer just rev all the way up and then i realized "oh crap i only got 650 miles!! :(" hoping nothing got damaged!

At the next light I went the normal speed limit and he did the whole flyby thing. How can I check to make sure nothing got damaged?

I saw ford recommends taking it easy for first 1000 miles. Do you need to keep it under 55 first 1000 miles too?
Man don't worry, after 300 Mike's of break in, I drove my car like I stoled it, and still due. It's fine. Enjoy

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Two schools of thought on this ... One says to drive it like you stole it during break-in. Another says give all the moving surface a chance to wear a tiny bit first. The theory goes that the sharp edges on sliding components can prevent a proper oil film from forming under heavy loads, which leads to excessive wear on the mating surface. Once the moving parts start to wear just a little bit, the sharp edges break off (microscopically).
The other school of thought says that heat and pressure help to bed-in things like rings, valve-to-seats, bearings, etc.

This BS about a "break-in" hasn't changed since the 1920s with the first car manuals.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I think it's time to sell the car, no offense. If this is what you are worried about, it's going to be a long and tumolous tumultuous ownership.

I suggest getting into a Corolla or Camry, those are more suitable for your needs.
Spelling Nazi arrives.....

mldonovan82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I drive it as if it were already broken in since there’s 2 schools of thought. Drive it hard and baby it. I stay in the middle of those extremes. I don’t hit redline over and over for the first 1000 miles just to pay respects to the manual. 😂

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
i read somewhere ford runs each engine a few hundred miles on a dyno before putting them on t he shelf.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
If you have ever been to an assembly plant, the 'kids' that are employed to drive them off the final inspection station to the holding lot certainly don't baby them. They hit the throttle as they pass out the plant door and screech it out to the lot.

I would assume every engine is dyno tested before it leaves the engine plant.

I put my GT through heavy load 3-4 times before it had more than 600km (375? miles) on it. Not to red line but since family members wanted their first rides in it, I hit the throttle hard, but not wide open, from a standing start 3-4 times to give them a thrill.

As I understand it, some relatively brief bursts of hard loads are what is required in break-in to set the rings, etc. No biggie... no worries....

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Don't worry, you didn't do any damage to the engine.
During the first 1.000 miles it's better not to go after 4000RPM, avoid heavy loads and not go past say 80-90 mp, in other words, drive normally (this last one only really applies for the first 100 miles to let tires and brakes wear in).

This to let parts wear in appropriately and don't create heat spots during the break in process.
If you just run the engine at heavy load for a short period don't worry, just be easy to her for the remaining part of the break in and any heat spot you should have done will cure themselves during the break in process (although I really don't think you did).

Happy break-in.

Lastly, don't get paranoid and don't sink in theories like "2k rattle" or "idle ticking". These are normal characteristics of this engine.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I don't lie to new hires about what the job entails, I don't lie to my motor about what kind of life it's going to live. I find it's best to get the expectations clear right from the beginning.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Definitely not joking.

Drive it off the lot like you stole it.
i would only advise against this for thins like brake pads and clutch disks wearing in a little. the engine is only one piece of the puzzle but 650 miles is plenty imo.

S550pp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (performance pack)
You may end up with a bit of oil consumption down the line, other than that it’ll be fine

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Don't listen to anybody's nonsense. Going WOT once at 650 miles is nowhere near enough to even begin damaging anything. Motors from the 60's are much tougher than that and motors today are so far past that it wouldn't even register. I've broken in many motors, both new and rebuilt, and never once hurt one with anything but the absolute dumbest of moves.
Sponsored