Floored my new mustang at 650 miles and worried something got damaged

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I drove mine out of the dealership and onto the first windy road I could find and went for it... soft break in doesn't work. Opening that can of controversy there.
Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
When I test drove mine, it had between two and five miles on it - it was at 3 or 4 miles on the ODO when I jumped it HARD getting on the freeway - stressed out the salesman, but the car didn't seem to mind.

Drove it relatively easy at first due to just city traffic. That said, it had some hard pulls thrown in randomly - it has 11,000 miles on it six months later, and all is good. Put the hammer down. It won't hut anything.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
engines need to be broken in with cylinder pressure. you never want to baby it. people get this wrong all the time and the rings never seat correctly. car starts using oil early and they can't figure out why

Gerry_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Fastback - Antimatter Blue, 10sp
My car is a 21 A10 and when I first owned it, maybe 30 miles old - I mistakenly left it in first gear by knocking the paddle shifters while in S mode. Took off hard one day at the lights and expected it to change automatically, which it didn't - and it took me a few seconds to realise it was bashing the limiter :) - It's now at around 2500 miles and it doesn't make any strange noises or any impact to the way it goes.
Engines these days aren't like the 70's where you had to properly break them in for the first x number of miles due to the tolerances they had - modern engines like the Coyote are toight like a tiger from the start, so shouldn't really need an extended break in period.

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
I'll legitimately answer your question. Your fine especially at 650 miles. If anything now is a good time to vary your rpms. The worst thing to do during the break in is lug the engine along.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I feel pretty bad because I was driving at the red light one of those assholes in a lifted turbo diesel pick up truck was all revving at me and I couldn't control myself

When the light turned green I gave it some gas and he was still keeping up so then I floored it and just completely gapped him by like a train length!!!

I watched my tachometer just rev all the way up and then i realized "oh crap i only got 650 miles!! :(" hoping nothing got damaged!

At the next light I went the normal speed limit and he did the whole flyby thing. How can I check to make sure nothing got damaged?

I saw ford recommends taking it easy for first 1000 miles. Do you need to keep it under 55 first 1000 miles too?
I took mine to the road course for 2 hours total track time with 800 miles on it. On the OEM oil. Then again a month later, still on the same 5w20.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'll legitimately answer your question. Your fine especially at 650 miles. If anything now is a good time to vary your rpms. The worst thing to do during the break in is lug the engine along.
650 miles?

Nah....OP is waaaaaay past "break-in". The first 50 or so miles are the important ones. After that, whatever......doesn't matter.

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
I couldn't control myself
That happens to me occasionally. The car keeps asking for it. Thanks for being human. I gotta watch it they are hiding everywhere I live.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I feel pretty bad because I was driving at the red light one of those assholes in a lifted turbo diesel pick up truck was all revving at me and I couldn't control myself

When the light turned green I gave it some gas and he was still keeping up so then I floored it and just completely gapped him by like a train length!!!

I watched my tachometer just rev all the way up and then i realized "oh crap i only got 650 miles!! :(" hoping nothing got damaged!

At the next light I went the normal speed limit and he did the whole flyby thing. How can I check to make sure nothing got damaged?

I saw ford recommends taking it easy for first 1000 miles. Do you need to keep it under 55 first 1000 miles too?
No worries, I raced a crotch rocket on the way home from the dealer, and hit the drag strip at 800 miles. It's fine.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
What the manual doesn't tell you is that it is GOOD to redline the car a few times during break in. It will help get a good seal on your rings and less chance of having an oil drinking Coyote.
Sponsored