Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

H2P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
After much prep work, I painted the calipers with a G2 kit. I'm not happy with the results. I tired brushing it on lightly but that left brush strokes and exposed metal even after 3 coats. I ended up putting a 4th heavy coat on to hopefully smooth things out... now it's just a bumpy uneven mess.

Brush on is a no if you want an even finish. Wish I used a spray gun. Well I may strip it all and spray, or just live with it. IDK. Also, I missed some bit with the tape off. I am disappointed. :(

IMG_2044.jpeg

67685706136__92D3F2DC-C333-4343-9CAE-B1B11291F5CE.jpeg
If you decide to go in a different direction, look into SuperWrap spray vinyl. I did it on my previous calipers and it came out perfect without being blotchy everywhere.
Sponsored

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
If you decide to go in a different direction, look into SuperWrap spray vinyl. I did it on my previous calipers and it came out perfect without being blotchy everywhere.
Will that hold up to the potential high temps the calipers can get to? 500°F+

I have a set of rear calipers, off the car, that I'm currently prepping. Then VHT gloss black spray followed by clear.

Wish I just used VHT's red on the fronts instead of this $90 kit of disappointment.

H2P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Will that hold up to the potential high temps the calipers can get to? 500°F+

I have a set of rear calipers, off the car, that I'm currently prepping. Then VHT gloss black spray followed by clear.

Wish I just used VHT's red on the fronts instead of this $90 kit of disappointment.
Yes it absolutely held up for me. I never saw any cracking/flaking or anything of that sort from them. Keep In mind i daily drove the car and beat on it quite regularly with long weekend rally trips and highway runs. If you actually prep the surface and do the correct amount of coats with curing time necessary they stand up to super high temps. I was blown away and I’m gonna do it again on my new calipers.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Brush on is a no if you want an even finish. Wish I used a spray gun. Well I may strip it all and spray, or just live with it. IDK. Also, I missed some bit with the tape off. I am disappointed. :(
wow, so it wasn't just Em's foray into failure... Dayum. I bought some spray VHT in green from an alternate supplier.

If you need to strip it, the PowderCoat guys in Lorton have a sand/bead blaster. I can also check my local rolodex of machinists and see who has a blast cabinet.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
wow, so it wasn't just Em's foray into failure... Dayum. I bought some spray VHT in green from an alternate supplier.

If you need to strip it, the PowderCoat guys in Lorton have a sand/bead blaster. I can also check my local rolodex of machinists and see who has a blast cabinet.
No it wasn't just Em and her sparkles. This stuff sucks if you don't want it looking like amateur hour.

Thanks, but I can strip it off with all my new wire wheels.

Sponsored

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
After much prep work, I painted the calipers with a G2 kit. I'm not happy with the results. I tired brushing it on lightly but that left brush strokes and exposed metal even after 3 coats. I ended up putting a 4th heavy coat on to hopefully smooth things out... now it's just a bumpy uneven mess.

IMG_2044.jpeg

67685706136__92D3F2DC-C333-4343-9CAE-B1B11291F5CE.jpeg
:(

Dude, im selling oem red front and back. Get em lol

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sierra, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
Added the Ford performance front brake vent scoops.
7B554715-BA9D-4442-A884-4C3439C1AA5A.jpeg
C2D0192B-AEFD-413D-ACEF-083DCA59BD33.jpeg
First time I’ve seen them! Been thinking about getting those for mine. I may pull the trigger. Are they just held on with 3M tape.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
:(

Dude, im selling oem red front and back. Get em lol
I know. I saw. You wanna drop them prices to "I'm unemployed" levels?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Added the Ford performance front brake vent scoops.
I can't find anything by that name. Have a link? Are they maybe from someone else than Ford Performance?

Sponsored

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Was in same place this weekend.
Used spray paint can. - Duplicolor shade
Red is the hardest color to cover with.
Heavy coat caused bubbles .. so while wet, wiped it off.
Light sand and (grey primer this time) it covered much better.
Also sprayed down and wiped with brake cleaner before priming
Did 6 coats, half hour between to get where I wanted. Took a day per side.

Next time I'll stick to good old Tremclad - it covers better than Duplicolor

Was a good time to wire wheel the pins and cross bolt. They had corrosion and difficult to remove.
Brake grease on 'em , and pad ends (where they slide on caliper) for assembly.

FLfree

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Performance
I can't find anything by that name. Have a link? Are they maybe from someone else than Ford Performance?
Great vender on eBay or buy direct. Blue Oval Industries. Best prices on ford OEM parts.
BB9384A5-EC36-4305-9198-C6735BCB8A3D.png
Sponsored

Last edited: