RazorRS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 1
Fellow 5.0 brothers,

It's been difficult having to choose either a Drop in air filter on my (2019 GT PP1 )or go with a Closed air intake (For Performance) or a Open intake (style&performance)

I've heard aftermarket some aftermarket intakes really don't do justice in providing a cooler temp to the engine.....

I've also heard the stock intake that the S550's have keep it cooler than most aftermarket intakes...

Which is why I'm here wanting to have many of you debunk myths I hear.

Which intake did you go with and why?

What do you recommend?

My purpose of choosing one is for Full performance...Closed intake? Open? or stock with a drop in filter?
Sponsored

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Do a kit with a new calibration - you'll get some gains.
CAI on its own might get you 5hp, same as a k&N drop in in the stock - but you'll never feel it,

Im leaning to the Ford power pak kit with new throttle body, but I prefer the looks of the Rousch kit, decisions .......

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
I went with the Injen Evolution mainly because it looks like it belongs in the given space more so than the stock box.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a video providing you with the differences between the closed & open elements:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I went with the one that came with my Mach 1 because I can't see anything wrong with it. I replaced the paper filter with the Airaid one. GT350 manifold likes high rpms and open element does well with it.

The 2018+ intakes are fine and provide a smooth MAF and the best intake temps. Get a drop in filter and call it a day. The only cold air intake that really works is forced induction.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Cervini upper and lower grille. The 2019 Mustang grille actually blocked the air intake. Cervini gives it an open shot! I also added the second tone horn Ford chose to delete in this yr model. 🙃

2019 intake with K&N drop in stock box. Great designs both. No need to go to a different box unless the air tube from box to throttle body diameter is larger than stock and a custom tune is done right.

I have 4yrs of powertrain warranty left. That keeps me from doing more for now.

Last edited:

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
We've always had great success running JLT intakes on our shop cars paired with a custom tune from Lund Racing. We also sell a bunch of PMAS intakes which our customers get really good results from. As others mentioned a no tune intake really doesn't offer the gains a custom tuned setup does so if you go with one I'd recommend either the JLT or PMAS along with a Lund Racing or Palm Beach Dyno custom tune for the best results.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I went with a PMAS (no tune requires) to gain clearance for my nitrous and fuel solenoid mounting bracket. If I hadn’t needed to make the switch, I would have kept the factory CAI, although the PMAS is larger and does look much better to me.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Fellow 5.0 brothers,

It's been difficult having to choose either a Drop in air filter on my (2019 GT PP1 )or go with a Closed air intake (For Performance) or a Open intake (style&performance)

I've heard aftermarket some aftermarket intakes really don't do justice in providing a cooler temp to the engine.....

I've also heard the stock intake that the S550's have keep it cooler than most aftermarket intakes...

Which is why I'm here wanting to have many of you debunk myths I hear.

Which intake did you go with and why?

What do you recommend?

My purpose of choosing one is for Full performance...Closed intake? Open? or stock with a drop in filter?
Go with a PMAS or JLT intake which you need a required tune. If you don't want to spend the coin on a tune required intake and tune your next best option would be a drop in K&N air filter. We sell either or here at www.lethalperformance.com!

JLT CAI-FMG-18 Cold Air Intake System (2018-2020 Mustang GT)

PMAS N-MT14-1 Velocity Air Intake System - Tune Required (2018-2020 5.0L Mustang GT)

K&N 2015-2020 Mustang Replacement Panel Filter - 33-5029

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I went with the one that came with my Mach 1 because I can't see anything wrong with it. I replaced the paper filter with the Airaid one. GT350 manifold likes high rpms and open element does well with it.

The 2018+ intakes are fine and provide a smooth MAF and the best intake temps. Get a drop in filter and call it a day. The only cold air intake that really works is forced induction.
+1 for drop in filter with oem intake on 18+ . Flows efficiently, keeps iats down, smooth maf curve (which is especially important if you plan on flex tuning).

Sponsored

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Keep the 18+ intake and drop in a filter. This is coming from a guy who ran a jlt intake from the time I bought my car until the time I went boost. Roughly 42k miles. It sounded great and didn't heat soak as bad as some other guys but doesn't produce the gains you would expect.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Go with a PMAS or JLT intake which you need a required tune. If you don't want to spend the coin on a tune required intake and tune your next best option would be a drop in K&N air filter. We sell either or here at www.lethalperformance.com!

JLT CAI-FMG-18 Cold Air Intake System (2018-2020 Mustang GT)

PMAS N-MT14-1 Velocity Air Intake System - Tune Required (2018-2020 5.0L Mustang GT)

K&N 2015-2020 Mustang Replacement Panel Filter - 33-5029
Hi. Have you dynoed the Steeda Pro closed air box with JLT and PMAS?