Which oil catch can did you use?

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Wanted to come back to this thread and share that I tallied up the replies to the best of my ability. Here are the results of what people went with...

JLT- 19
Ford- 15
UPR- 8
Bob's 7

The interesting thing is that some of the folks using the UPR and Bob's say they caught significantly more oil than the JLT and/or the Ford after having used those in the past.

I came close to buying a catch can last month but the lack of any discounts (even during sales) frustrated me and then I got distracted. But I intend to buy one this month.

-Emt1581
Sponsored

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wanted to come back to this thread and share that I tallied up the replies to the best of my ability. Here are the results of what people went with...

JLT- 19
Ford- 15
UPR- 8
Bob's 7

The interesting thing is that some of the folks using the UPR and Bob's say they caught significantly more oil than the JLT and/or the Ford after having used those in the past.

I came close to buying a catch can last month but the lack of any discounts (even during sales) frustrated me and then I got distracted. But I intend to buy one this month.

-Emt1581
For what it's worth the JLT 3.0 catches about 25% more vs the original JLT on a Coyote platform. So it depends what experiences were had with what version of can.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oil catch cans....

On the passengers side, I decided to go with Bob's. On the drivers side, I've installed the OEM separator. Although, most owners might not find any residual oil on the 'clean' side..... However, due to track use, I feel that it's needed.
IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG

Markbnh1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape & 2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
For what it's worth the JLT 3.0 catches about 25% more vs the original JLT on a Coyote platform. So it depends what experiences were had with what version of can.
I hope this is true or I just wasted $130 to upgrade from the older one to the 3.0. They look identical except for the logo on the cover! What's different? :headbonk:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope this is true or I just wasted $130 to upgrade from the older one to the 3.0. They look identical except for the logo on the cover! What's different? :headbonk:
Where'd you get it for that price? Cheapest I've seen is from JLT's website with their 5% off code. Brings it to $132.xx shipped. I've also seen them go for $60 used.

BTW, I believe the 3.0 holds 3 ounces as opposed to the previous generations 2oz capacity. Could be wrong though.

-Emt1581

Markbnh1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape & 2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
Where'd you get it for that price? Cheapest I've seen is from JLT's website with their 5% off code. Brings it to $132.xx shipped. I've also seen them go for $60 used.

BTW, I believe the 3.0 holds 3 ounces as opposed to the previous generations 2oz capacity. Could be wrong though.

-Emt1581
I rounded it off.....lol. It was $132 at 5% off at CJ Pony. The size looks the same but I read it holds more also. :shrug:

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question on the JLT's design/function...

On the JLT both hoses are connected to the lid compared to others where the air enters the container and then exits the lid/top with the filter separating the in from the out. So it seems like the air/oil mist passes over top of the filter, and then the oil presumably drips down into the cup instead of the air being forced through the filter, and the oil being held back.

Is this correct or does the JLT work some other way?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The can is larger in diameter and about a 1/2" taller. The filtering design is the biggest change. The ports on the inside have been equalized and now have a two stage filter, one fine screen under the aluminum honeycomb vs the old mesh filter. The original can held roughly 1.25oz(to the bottom of the threads and the new holds 3oz.

Question on the JLT's design/function...

On the JLT both hoses are connected to the lid compared to others where the air enters the container and then exits the lid/top with the filter separating the in from the out. So it seems like the air/oil mist passes over top of the filter, and then the oil presumably drips down into the cup instead of the air being forced through the filter, and the oil being held back.

Is this correct or does the JLT work some other way?

Thanks

-Emt1581
The oil that enters the can is a very fine vapor, which with entering the filter is made into droplets that get heavy enough to fall into the collection portion. If you filtered the opposite side the oil collection is cut by nearly half if not more. We want to slow the oil down quickly and allow it to form in the filter before making its way down to the bottom of the can.

See this picture below for a shot of the filter setup in the can.
30filter.jpg

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you filtered the opposite side the oil collection is cut by nearly half if not more. We want to slow the oil down quickly and allow it to form in the filter before making its way down to the bottom of the can.
A few follow-ups here because the physics still isn't making sense for me...

When you said "filtered the opposite side"...is the opposite side the collection cup, exiting hose, or something else?

When we look at something like a water filter or the filter on a gas mask, traditionally you have whatever gas or liquid on one side, then it passes through a filtration system, and finally (hopefully) a purified version of that substance comes out the other end.

In the JLT it looks like the oil vapor passes over top of the filter instead of through it. Just trying to understand why that's a better and more efficient design than one that runs the air/oil through a filter and holds back the oil allowing the air to pass.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A few follow-ups here because the physics still isn't making sense for me...

When you said "filtered the opposite side"...is the opposite side the collection cup, exiting hose, or something else?

When we look at something like a water filter or the filter on a gas mask, traditionally you have whatever gas or liquid on one side, then it passes through a filtration system, and finally (hopefully) a purified version of that substance comes out the other end.

In the JLT it looks like the oil vapor passes over top of the filter instead of through it. Just trying to understand why that's a better and more efficient design than one that runs the air/oil through a filter and holds back the oil allowing the air to pass.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Opposite side meaning the clean exit port, to the intake manifold.

The air entering the can is "dirty air", it isn't oil droplets until the filter condenses enough of it to form a drip.

If the filter was on the exit side, it wouldn't start to form until nearing the exit of the can and much of it would still be pulled through.

Excuse my MSPaint photo(:first:) below but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
20170629_145340.jpg

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Opposite side meaning the clean exit port, to the intake manifold.

The air entering the can is "dirty air", it isn't oil droplets until the filter condenses enough of it to form a drip.

If the filter was on the exit side, it wouldn't start to form until nearing the exit of the can and much of it would still be pulled through.

Excuse my MSPaint photo(:first:) below but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
That pic is helpful. So you're saying the droplet formation doesn't let the oil exit the can.

You mentioned the oil collection being cut by nearly half....that mean a portion of the oil is still getting fed through the exit hose?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That pic is helpful. So you're saying the droplet formation doesn't let the oil exit the can.

You mentioned the oil collection being cut by nearly half....that mean a portion of the oil is still getting fed through the exit hose?

Thanks

-Emt1581
No I meant if the filter were on the exit side(to intake manifold) of the can vs the entry side(From PCV) the oil collection isn't nearly as good on our setups.

Hope that helps.

Vinny

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I meant if the filter were on the exit side(to intake manifold) of the can vs the entry side(From PCV) the oil collection isn't nearly as good on our setups.

Hope that helps.

Vinny
Oh ok cool, got it!

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored