strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
What 18's? Many are larger than 19's.
315/30/18 are too short for 3.73s even with higher rev limiter IMHO. Almost require 3.31s.
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Well picked up some 18s

Now the decision has turned to tires

Houston Heat
2 drivers
315/30/18

RT660 or Nankang CR-1/CR-S

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Well picked up some 18s

Now the decision has turned to tires

Houston Heat
2 drivers
315/30/18

RT660 or Nankang CR-1/CR-S
I try not to sweat over tire choices - they are fast people on literally any top tire available so the driver trumps tire choice every single time and time differences between them are small (look at Hollis' GRM tests - it's like a tenth or two). I'll probably try 295/35R19 Yokohamas, have two new 305 Falkens I bought for $200 each from someone that didn't need them and currently a set of Bridgestones from Tire Rack sale (4119 date) that I ran end of local season here and honestly thought they were great.
Danny Popp early last year run a test (literally - rented a site) and had Yokohamas, Nankangs, BFGs and who know what else. He said something like (it was spring when we talked) "they're all the same" with a correction for how able he is to consistently drive on the limit.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I try not to sweat over tire choices - they are fast people on literally any top tire available so the driver trumps tire choice every single time and time differences between them are small (look at Hollis' GRM tests - it's like a tenth or two). I'll probably try 295/35R19 Yokohamas, have two new 305 Falkens I bought for $200 each from someone that didn't need them and currently a set of Bridgestones from Tire Rack sale (4119 date) that I ran end of local season here and honestly thought they were great.
Danny Popp early last year run a test (literally - rented a site) and had Yokohamas, Nankangs, BFGs and who know what else. He said something like (it was spring when we talked) "they're all the same" with a correction for how able he is to consistently drive on the limit.
Thanks for the insight.

Yeah my 19s have the closeout RE71 with good life that we are using next weekend.

Looks like Nationals had
1-4, 10: Yoks (2-4 double drivers)
5-8: Falken (5, 6 double drivers)
9: BFG (DOUBLE DRIVER)

I know I very well may get demolished at Nationals so I'm sure tire is less important. Just looking for something that will last in the summer heat/concrete combo with 2 drivers.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thanks for the insight.

Yeah my 19s have the closeout RE71 with good life that we are using next weekend.

Looks like Nationals had
1-4, 10: Yoks (2-4 double drivers)
5-8: Falken (5, 6 double drivers)
9: BFG (DOUBLE DRIVER)

I know I very well may get demolished at Nationals so I'm sure tire is less important. Just looking for something that will last in the summer heat/concrete combo with 2 drivers.
Falkens seem to be heat cycling out fairly quick - I've used mine far too long last season. I was generally not a big fan of them. I think you need to count in new set for Nats anyway if you're making the trip, so buy either and see if you like it, especially running two driver car on a concrete.
If I had another set of wheels, would try Nankangs for the hell of it.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
315/30/18 are too short for 3.73s even with higher rev limiter IMHO. Almost require 3.31s.
The V8 cars rev higher than the Eco, so I completely understand. My new tires are 295/35 Yokes, but I considered 295/40 Falkens just for the extra tire height.

I've got a complete AL 3.15 rear end in the garage, which needs to be installed. The problem is the diff, which is a stock Trac-Loc. I've got plans to improve it before the installation actually happens.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I thought those were steel. where did you source?
If they came on a manual transmission car, they're cast iron. Behind the auto, they're AL. They're a dime a dozen, but you're stuck with the Trac-Loc diff, because neither the Torsen nor the Giken fit the smaller 3.15 ring gear.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
If it helps, those FlowOne racespec 18x11's and 18x10'5s are stupid onsale on TR still. I just bought two 18x10.5's for $107 per wheel. I'm not sure I couldn't make money on Craigslist re-selling them, except, that's probably why they are on sale, we have the only use case for them.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
If it helps, those FlowOne racespec 18x11's and 18x10'5s are stupid onsale on TR still. I just bought two 18x10.5's for $107 per wheel. I'm not sure I couldn't make money on Craigslist re-selling them, except, that's probably why they are on sale, we have the only use case for them.
There is a question whether they will work with 6-piston Brembos. There are conflicting reports.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
They work with the little brakes, no problem. I was stoked to get them for ~$125 apiece.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
They work with the little brakes, no problem. I was stoked to get them for ~$125 apiece.
Yeah. It seems one person took pics that they barely rub the 6 piston calipers, someone else said they work. I ordered a set on the word they work...now I may have to return them. Mine arrive Wednesday.

I think grinding the caliper isn't a good idea.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yeah. It seems one person took pics that they barely rub the 6 piston calipers, someone else said they work. I ordered a set on the word they work...now I may have to return them. Mine arrive Wednesday.

I think grinding the caliper isn't a good idea.
Would you mind posting results once you get them ? I've decided against 18" for now since I already have another set of $150 19x11 SVEs in the basement, but nobody died from having too many wheels....
What's the bore diameter on them ?

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
The 18x11’s 52et rub on pedders in the front with the 25mm spacers I have, so I’m trying the 10.5 et50’s. Not sure if that is a better Idea or spacing more and doing more fender work/camber. I’ll probably look at an offset set of coilovers once I work out a few other things.
Sponsored