Sponsored

Why is it that the 2022 mustang gt has 10 less horsepower yet is 2 thousand dollars more expensive?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
When asked what exactly was changed on the engine to meet these requirements, a Ford spokesperson clarified, “For 2022, the Mustang’s 5.0-liter V8 engine’s hydrocarbon traps were modified, with a new mass airflow sensor location and updated engine calibration.”
Sponsored

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Much ado about nothing, ordered my '22 and didn't give this a 2nd thought. Difference won't even be noticeable.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Much ado about nothing, ordered my '22 and didn't give this a 2nd thought. Difference won't even be noticeable.
Yeah. I just checked and can't find a single post from a year ago saying they wouldn't have ordered or even agonized over it if the rating had been 10 lower.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
When asked what exactly was changed on the engine to meet these requirements, a Ford spokesperson clarified, “For 2022, the Mustang’s 5.0-liter V8 engine’s hydrocarbon traps were modified, with a new mass airflow sensor location and updated engine calibration.”
Modified "hydrocarbon traps?" In other words, we now choke the engine more.

"New" mass airflow sensor location? Sounds like something in the tract was reconfigured to be more restrictive as well.

And an updated engine calibration...updated in what way? Say it Ford...

When I see minimalist/ambiguous responses from Ford such as this I get the sense this is simply careful wording used to ease us towards the death of the ICE, without actually stating the obvious.

Politicians ruin everything, everytime.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It is also saying don't buy a new Mustang . Not many here will go buy a slower Mustang .

Sponsored

Fingers

Can't re Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Various Ford vehicles
Depends on what you want.
I was very close to ordering an Ecoboost High Performance, it was just that I found my previous Ecoboost a lot harder to sell than my previous GT that swayed my decision on the '22.
I'm unlikely to modify the GT for more performance, as it's pretty hard to use the power on the street, and would only put it on the drag strip to see what it's capable of.
I have another car to race if required.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Those saying "it's only 10 hp, it means nothing" are ignorant. The car will be slightly slower, no doubt, with 10 less hp, whether you can feel it or not. People pay $1,500+ for green headers to gain about 15-20 hp. So, if 10 hp is nothing, why do people pay a lot of money for minor hp gains? A loss of 10 hp is something, and it's a negative against the car.

A small loss in trap speed is still a small loss.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So, if 10 hp is nothing, why do people pay a lot of money for minor hp gains?
because they are dumb? headers (in isolation) has gotta be the dumbest thing to spend money on.

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Sponsored

ShadowCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zachary
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So I own a 2022 Mustang GT premium with blackout package and active exhaust. I bought it back in February of this year from a local dealer and I have about 1600 miles on it. It has already had damage as you can see in one of my other posts, but it is all fixed. An opinion I have about it is it feels quicker in track mode over normal mode and it opens the exhaust butterflies wide open so maybe it’s 460hp in track and 450hp in normal mode? It’s also the fastest car I have ever driven so I can’t say I miss the 10 hp as I don’t know any different lol. I also believe that it will be a long journey to special order a 2022 and even longer to get a 2023, but hopefully not.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Because we all hate capitalism

R3G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 TRX, 2020 Shelby GT350
You know, when I was 18, my dad helped me buy my first Mustang, a 98’ GT that had like 225HP but some of my best memories were in that race red 5-speed. I’ve had a couple others since then but was never quite as fond of any of them as that first one (and its also been 7 years since i’ve owned one. I think the Grabber Blue GT PP I have on order with 450HP is going to be the most fun I’ve had since then and cant wait to make some new memories with my dad and his grandson. I’ve watched just about every youtube video on the GT i can find. So stoked, its supposed to be built this month so hopefully i’ll get it before the model year is over.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
You know, when I was 18, my dad helped me buy my first Mustang, a 98’ GT that had like 225HP but some of my best memories were in that race red 5-speed. I’ve had a couple others since then but was never quite as fond of any of them as that first one (and its also been 7 years since i’ve owned one. I think the Grabber Blue GT PP I have on order with 450HP is going to be the most fun I’ve had since then and cant wait to make some new memories with my dad and his grandson. I’ve watched just about every youtube video on the GT i can find. So stoked, its supposed to be built this month so hopefully i’ll get it before the model year is over.
My first mustang was a 97 GT Auto, rio red, with a k&n and a short exhaust that dumped just below the back seat. Flowmasters. Wasn't the fastest by today's standards for sure, but sounded amazing and in my opinion sounded better than my stock 22 does with active exhaust in most situations. I loved driving it any time, just to hear that exhaust rumble. Lots of good cruises in it.

That being said, the coyote has twice the horsepower stock and screams all the way to red line in a way that my old one never did (though it did surprise many a person when gunned it). I love having the ability to dial in the growl, and at some point I'll throw an H pipe on it and close the gap on the sound. For me, THAT is why I love these cars, being about to unleash the thunderclap and just hold on!!

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),