ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
people need to learn how to drive properly... lol
I don't disagree but with all the new technology the definition of "drive properly" is changing.
Cars with hill assist, lane keeping, accident avoidance, adaptive cruise control, park assist, etc takes a lot of driving out of the drivers hands and in doing so causes the skills to be lost.
Take cell phones as one small example. I used to have dozens of numbers memorized but now I'm lucky to remember mine and the wife's...
Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
I don't disagree but with all the new technology the definition of "drive properly" is changing.
Cars with hill assist, lane keeping, accident avoidance, adaptive cruise control, park assist, etc takes a lot of driving out of the drivers hands and in doing so causes the skills to be lost.
Take cell phones as one small example. I used to have dozens of numbers memorized but now I'm lucky to remember mine and the wife's...
exactly my point, people don't know how to drive properly because they want the car to do everything for them.

no more blind spot checking... just check the sensors... no more looking around for backing up... just look at the camera... people have a bunch of accidents for the dumbest basic stuff

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
it took me like 5 years to learn my wife's number. Now i Know 2... mine and hers lol
...I went to get another cell phone when my Grandson was
around 2 or so.
The girl in the kiosk said to choose a number.
I thought; great, I'll get our land line number so the Grandson
will only need to learn 3 new numbers (prefix) to call Papaw....................... :clap:

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
...I went to get another cell phone when my Grandson was
around 2 or so.
The girl in the kiosk said to choose a number.
I thought; great, I'll get our land line number so the Grandson
will only need to learn 3 new numbers (prefix) to call Papaw....................... :clap:
lol i have a friend back home, their family had the whole series from 0 to 9.... same numbers (414)414414X, just the last digit was different. That was cool af lol

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
lol i have a friend back home, their family had the whole series from 0 to 9.... same numbers (414)414414X, just the last digit was different. That was cool af lol
...yea, you know before cell phones, a lot of kids didn't know
phone numbers and parents would panic because their
children didn't know how to call them.
Of course now the point is moot.......................:clap:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
it took me like 5 years to learn my wife's number. Now i Know 2... mine and hers lol
I only remember my current number and my son's number.

I only remember my son's because 31 years ago when he was 3, I bribed a phone company tech to give me a number that spelled his name. Kept that number until he was old enough to have his own phone and let him have it.

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Anyone driving an S550 shouldn't be concerned about hill start assist. C'mon guys. Is this what we've become?

Learn how to drive the car. Please.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
better still, this is an AUTO guy complaining about the hill assist feature that cannot be turned off.

I think they are a candidate for a self driving car.

3 pages so far and the simple answer is learn to use the hand brake or two feet. Sorry that the hill assist doesn't work the way you would like it to.

the real problem is that cars today allow people to pull way too close to other cars. God forbid someone hits a guy from behind, what space do you have to move into ? You are guaranteed to hit the guy in front of you. People need to learn to leave space not because the guy drives a manual in front of you but in case you need to maneuver or avoid hitting the guy in front should you get rear ended.

Does the light or traffic go any faster if you move up 2-4 ft more?

Sponsored
OP
OP

ctang101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I started this thread trying to find out if there was anything wrong with my car. I bought it from CarMax so I could return it within 30 days if I wanted. After some more testing, I think Hill Start Assist is working the way it is supposed to. Thanks for all your inputs.
Just like seatbelt, backup camera, and motorcycle helmet, all these new safety features like, lane departure warning, backup sensor, collision avoidance, and hill start assist, are going to become standard features (required by law) one day. Some people could continue to use the proper driving skills like turning their head to look and using handbrake/two feet as if those features didn't exist. Some other people could make use of all these nice features making the drive more enjoyable to them.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
in the EU starting in July 2022/24 all new EU cars must have the following assistance systems fully enabled by default when starting the car and you have to manually deactivate them if you do not want them being enabled:
  • speed limit indicator signal (display, sound, pulsing gas paddle). the speed limit info comes from the navigation system or traffic sign camera recognition system. cars are allowed to automatically break in order to stay under the speed limit.
  • blackbox, crash data recording: vehicle speed, braking data, position trajectory, state and setting of safety systems, data from ecall system
  • emergency braking system: car will enable brake for the driver in detected emergency situations using data from lidar, radar and camera systems, in 2024 phase two, the car must also react on pedestrians and bike drivers as well
  • lane keeping assistance: sound / steering resistance when lane is changed without indicator or lane is not kept perfectly.
  • emergency lane keeping assitance: this will become a very annoying system because it will actively resist aggressively driver steering in emergency situations (emergency lane keeping)
  • emergency braking rear breaking signalling: when the car in front does a hard brake, your own car's brake will flash showing drivers behind you there might be a sudden stop ahead, when you come to a stop in such a situation, hazard lights will automatically turn on and brake light will be kept on.
  • interface for addition of devices for alcohol detector: only the interface will be mandatory no the device itself for unlocking the car after no alcohol is detected.
  • awareness detector: continuous recording of driver awareness, so should you get tired the system will detect this and warn the driver to make a break.
  • belt warner
  • rear object warner / auto brake
  • tire pressure detection

all assistance systems will automatically re-enable upon the next drive. this will not be an option.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Anyone driving an S550 shouldn't be concerned about hill start assist. C'mon guys. Is this what we've become?

Learn how to drive the car. Please.
I find it more being a burn-out assist: First time I took off in my S550 from a hill and noticed the car got stuck I floored it.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Right...Says the person from FL where it's pool-table flat.

Try creeping up or down this three block hill for an hour in bumper to bumper traffic. You'd probably have to park it and wait it out.

1630770625650.png
That's pretty good camera trickery... I have seen this technique used before.
That is California Street facing eastbound, and the intersection of Hyde Street at the bottom of the photo.
Here is the Google street view of the intersection facing the same direction:

Screenshot 2021-09-09 170315.png