Totaled 2019 GT, get 2021 GT?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
It’s not going to matter one bit if the OP buys and drives another S550 GT OR buys a 5 year old Prius...

He’s still young, immature and inexperienced in road manners and how to cope or handle a vehicle when an unpredictable event comes up unexpectedly.

In no way is it meant as a bash, it’s just facts really.

The hydroplane would not have occurred if the OP was driving at a more controlled pace, was aware of his surroundings and fully knowing the pavement was saturated, but apparently was not in complete control of the vehicle.

Inexperience is inexperience - he can wreck, kill/injure himself or kill/injure someone else just as much in a Prius or an S550 with substantially more power... it’s not the type of car or the power it has, it’s the total lack of on the road experience. I don’t care if the OP drove 3,000 miles or 50,000 miles before his recent wreck, he’s still only 18 and most likely only has been legally driving (in some states) for either 1 year or less. The experience comes in YEARS of driving and dealing with all sorts of Highway settings and weather types, let alone thoroughly KNOWING your car’s capabilities in and out.

The OP should consider driving school or going to a driving event to be trained on how to control a vehicle during XYZ situations. It will not only be a learning experience, but it will help with future unexpected Highway events. Upon successful completion of the course, he might qualify for an Insurance discount (maybe).
100% agree with this. Driving well is in the head not how slow or fast your car is. Even the slowest car on the road can kill you or others.

If you ask Lotus how to modify their cars to go faster, they say go on a driving course !
Sponsored

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
It’s not going to matter one bit if the OP buys and drives another S550 GT OR buys a 5 year old Prius...

He’s still young, immature and inexperienced in road manners and how to cope or handle a vehicle when an unpredictable event comes up unexpectedly.

In no way is it meant as a bash, it’s just facts really.

The hydroplane would not have occurred if the OP was driving at a more controlled pace, was aware of his surroundings and fully knowing the pavement was saturated, but apparently was not in complete control of the vehicle.

Inexperience is inexperience - he can wreck, kill/injure himself or kill/injure someone else just as much in a Prius or an S550 with substantially more power... it’s not the type of car or the power it has, it’s the total lack of on the road experience. I don’t care if the OP drove 3,000 miles or 50,000 miles before his recent wreck, he’s still only 18 and most likely only has been legally driving (in some states) for either 1 year or less. The experience comes in YEARS of driving and dealing with all sorts of Highway settings and weather types, let alone thoroughly KNOWING your car’s capabilities in and out.

The OP should consider driving school or going to a driving event to be trained on how to control a vehicle during XYZ situations. It will not only be a learning experience, but it will help with future unexpected Highway events. Upon successful completion of the course, he might qualify for an Insurance discount (maybe).
Your argument completely ignores human nature and assumes that a teenaged boy/man will drive a Mustang GT the same way he will drive a Prius. I don’t think that conclusion is valid or supported by observed accident rates.

Question , are higher insurance rates for teenagers in sports cars driven by the value of the cars, or the propensity of teenagers to wreck sports cars?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Your argument completely ignores human nature and assumes that a teenaged boy/man will drive a Mustang GT the same way he will drive a Prius. I don’t think that conclusion is valid or supported by observed accident rates.

Question , are higher insurance rates for teenagers in sports cars driven by the value of the cars, or the propensity of teenagers to wreck sports cars?
Both. Insurance companies aren't dumb, they know the liklihood of an inexperienced driver crashing a high powered car is many times higher than the normal adults who buy them. Normal meaning the median age of the buyers, which is typically around 50 for most muscle cars. I suspect there's also a rate spike for first time owners of such a car, or for a certain policy period when you first acquire it, at least for those below a certain age. I'm still in my 20's and my insurance dropped about 15% after I hit the 1 year ownership mark on my car. And I'm not using any safe driving discounts or anything, it just went down.

But also, the cost to repair modern cars is getting quickly out of control. I mean damn, each headlight for the refresh cars is $900. Not a pair, each individual. And the taillights are almost as expensive.

JUNQDAWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT 5.0 10 SPEED
WHY ALL THE SMART A** REPLIES TO THE YOUNG GUY ? EVERYONE ON HERE WAS HIS AGE ONCE AND EVEN IF YOU COULDN'T AFFORD WHAT HE'S ABLE TO BUY .KEEP YOUR JEALOUSY TO YOURSELVES.IN HIGHSCHOOL 1967 MY BEST FRIEND HAD RICH FOLKS BUT HE STILL PAID FOR HIS OWN 426 HEMI /4SP YELLOW PLY.SATELLITE. HE RACED HELL OUT OF IT FROM DAY ONE AND ANY OF YA'LL FROM THAT ERA KNOWS THEY WERE REAL "BEASTS" . WELL GUESS WHAT ? HE STILL HAS IT TO THIS DAY ! WRECKS HAPPEN WHETHER YOU ARE EXPERIENCED OR A ROOKIE . THE KID JUST GOT ON HERE ACCORDING TO HIS "JOIN" DATE . YOU HOLIER THAN THOU REALLY MAKE HIM FEEL WELCOME. I ALREADY EXPLAINED WHY I USE "CAPS" IF IT BUGS YOU .DON'T READ IT . IF YOU AIN'T GOT A NICE FRIENDLY ANSWER TO THE KID THAN GO WASH YOUR MUSTANG . SON .I'M 71 . HAD A 66 FASTBACK RED/271HP 4 SP/ IN HIGH SCHOOL . NO WRECKS /LOTS OF TICKETS/ DIFFERENT LIFE BACK THEN . BUY WHAT YOU WANT AND IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A WEEKEND RACE SCHOOL COURSE . WOULDN'T HURT ANY OF US EXCEPT THE ONES ON HERE THAT THINK THEY ARE "EARNHART" WANTA BE'S . GOOD LUCK WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE . JUNQDAWG 2018 GT 5.0/10SPEED .. WISH I HAD THIS IN HIGHSCHOOL . BY THE WAY ,THOUGHT THIS WAS A TIGHT GROUP OF "STANGERS" THAT WANT TO HELP EACH OTHER WITH INFO .NOT BULLY AND TRY TO EMBARRASS A NEWBIE FOR FUN . YOU'RE REAL TOUGH CATS ON THE KEYBOARD .

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
WHY ALL THE SMART A** REPLIES TO THE YOUNG GUY ? EVERYONE ON HERE WAS HIS AGE ONCE AND EVEN IF YOU COULDN'T AFFORD WHAT HE'S ABLE TO BUY .KEEP YOUR JEALOUSY TO YOURSELVES.IN HIGHSCHOOL 1967 MY BEST FRIEND HAD RICH FOLKS BUT HE STILL PAID FOR HIS OWN 426 HEMI /4SP YELLOW PLY.SATELLITE. HE RACED HELL OUT OF IT FROM DAY ONE AND ANY OF YA'LL FROM THAT ERA KNOWS THEY WERE REAL "BEASTS" . WELL GUESS WHAT ? HE STILL HAS IT TO THIS DAY ! WRECKS HAPPEN WHETHER YOU ARE EXPERIENCED OR A ROOKIE . THE KID JUST GOT ON HERE ACCORDING TO HIS "JOIN" DATE . YOU HOLIER THAN THOU REALLY MAKE HIM FEEL WELCOME. I ALREADY EXPLAINED WHY I USE "CAPS" IF IT BUGS YOU .DON'T READ IT . IF YOU AIN'T GOT A NICE FRIENDLY ANSWER TO THE KID THAN GO WASH YOUR MUSTANG . SON .I'M 71 . HAD A 66 FASTBACK RED/271HP 4 SP/ IN HIGH SCHOOL . NO WRECKS /LOTS OF TICKETS/ DIFFERENT LIFE BACK THEN . BUY WHAT YOU WANT AND IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A WEEKEND RACE SCHOOL COURSE . WOULDN'T HURT ANY OF US EXCEPT THE ONES ON HERE THAT THINK THEY ARE "EARNHART" WANTA BE'S . GOOD LUCK WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE . JUNQDAWG 2018 GT 5.0/10SPEED .. WISH I HAD THIS IN HIGHSCHOOL . BY THE WAY ,THOUGHT THIS WAS A TIGHT GROUP OF "STANGERS" THAT WANT TO HELP EACH OTHER WITH INFO .NOT BULLY AND TRY TO EMBARRASS A NEWBIE FOR FUN . YOU'RE REAL TOUGH CATS ON THE KEYBOARD .
At least we know when the caps lock is on, troll.

Sponsored

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
If you'll look on the left side of your keyboard you should see a key that says "caps lock". You might consider using it.

It's hard for me to believe you're actually 71 and wrote a post like that. Color me skeptical. Most of the posts I've seen here have been motivated by concern for this guy's safety and/or the safety of those who may encounter him on the road.

I doubt that anyone on here is actually jealous of an 18 year old who has already totaled a car. Pity more likely. When I sold my RX7 twin turbo to an 18 year old my thoughts were "I hope he survives and I hope he doesn't kill anybody". I suspect that's what most are thinking on this thread.

BTW, yeah some 'wrecks happen' and it just is what it is, but most wrecks happen because someone made a stupid choice, like driving faster than the conditions warranted and hydroplaning.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
If you'll look on the left side of your keyboard you should see a key that says "caps lock". You might consider using it.

It's hard for me to believe you're actually 71 and wrote a post like that. Color me skeptical. Most of the posts I've seen here have been motivated by concern for this guy's safety and/or the safety of those who may encounter him on the road.

I doubt that anyone on here is actually jealous of an 18 year old who has already totaled a car. Pity more likely. When I sold my RX7 twin turbo to an 18 year old my thoughts were "I hope he survives and I hope he doesn't kill anybody". I suspect that's what most are thinking on this thread.

BTW, yeah some 'wrecks happen' and it just is what it is, but most wrecks happen because someone made a stupid choice, like driving faster than the conditions warranted and hydroplaning.
Seems like a kooky old man to me!

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Dale Earnhardt wouldn't be impressed by you shouting his name out wrong!

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I don't either lol. And I've had a CDL since I was 19! It's madness.
Got my CDL (only class B) through work about 10 years ago. Been squeaky clean ever since. Easy to get a CDL, a driver with a clean record AND a CDL is much more valuable.

Sponsored

MagicMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike Hunt
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 MT droptop / Race Red
Shoo troll - get back to your online middle school classes.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Except if you get rear ended then things go boom!
Only if you have Estes model rocket motors wired in under the car (granted, that was for the GM truck story, but, still ...).

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
giphy.gif

freudianfloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
From my limited time on this forum I have learned the following:

1. There is some good information.
2. The "Mustang" guys seem to be limited to only liking S550 Mustangs, and anything previously is garbage.
3. Young guys should not have Mustangs
4. If you don't work your whole life and save every penny to pay cash for one of these, you don't deserve it.

To the OP, if you want a Mustang GT, get one. Who cares what these self-riteous old farts think. If you can afford the Premium, get the premium. Do dumb stuff while you are young, and get it out of your system.

I would've killed for a car like this at your age, best I had back then was a Fox body LX 5.0, with 2.73 gears and an aod. I am lucky enough that my dad was a real car guy, and anything fast was cool, and he enjoyed me getting fast cars because it was a tradition he was passing down to me.

With that said, hopefully you learn something from your previous accidents, whether it is to be less stupid, or atleast a better driver. And if you are doing stupid dangerous things, do them out where you aren't going to hurt anybody else. That's what back roads in the country are for.

I would like to think if I was in your shoes, I would wait for the S650 Mustangs, but I just picked up my 2021 a month ago, because I didn't want to wait.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
FF,
So you ARE saying the same thing all of us are saying. We want to make sure this guy learns or at least recognizes that the accidents are really his fault and to drive more responsibly and that if he doesn't, someone is going to get hurt, either himself or others.

You had the luck of a father who taught you about respecting a powerful car. I am not too sure the OP does. There are lots of words of wisdom in these forums, not just old farts. An old fart is a person with knowledge you just choose not to respect. Others would call them people with knowledge and wisdom that should at least be respected for that.

As for stupid things on back roads, that tends to be where good people live. Respect them too. Go to a track and get your jollies off. Back roads have too many homes and trees that seem to jump out in front of you.

Just don't be this guy
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-crashes-through-a-house-in-hicksville-ny.138329/

As for old Mustangs, I love them and so do many others here. No, they do not perform like an S550 but they have their own magic that makes them special.
Sponsored