Sponsored

Mid Corner Throttle?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don't take this wrong, but if Exotic Driver guy was any good, he wouldn't be there. Randy will have much better advice.
I disagree with this. Just because you aren't the best of the best at executing doesn't mean you don't know a heck of a lot of theory. The Exotic Driver was probably correct in the given car and the given situation. I'm sure what Randy P. says is correct as well in a different situation. I've been at Exotic Racing and the guy I worked with had been a pro driver for years. I would be surprised if any of the instructors at a place like that aren't better than 95+% of us who only get on track a handful of times a year. Or at least they are certainly more knowledgeable and have more experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
street-level avoidance is by far a factor of SIPDE and regular practice, practice of maximum braking and swerving. Most riders, even those claiming to have 20 years experience suck at all the above.
SIPDE?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
did you sleep thru the MSF course? :) Ok, that wasn't fair - I taught for 10 years. The toughest exercise to get students to do correctly was #10 on day 2: "Stopping Quickly in a Curve".

Search
Identify
Predict
Decide
Execute

For the life of me I can't remember what the new curriculum changed the acronym to.

2 or 3 times a year hopefully. Got a kid coming next month so that'll put a cap on things.
Just tell the wife you're training and improving your defensive and evasive driving skills for the coming zombie apocalypse and getting out of Phoenix with all due haste should it come to that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I disagree with this. Just because you aren't the best of the best at executing doesn't mean you don't know a heck of a lot of theory. The Exotic Driver was probably correct in the given car and the given situation. I'm sure what Randy P. says is correct as well in a different situation. I've been at Exotic Racing and the guy I worked with had been a pro driver for years. I would be surprised if any of the instructors at a place like that aren't better than 95+% of us who only get on track a handful of times a year. Or at least they are certainly more knowledgeable and have more experience.
Being on the same track every day has to make you a pro at it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did you sleep thru the MSF course? :) Ok, that wasn't fair - I taught for 10 years. The toughest exercise to get students to do correctly was #10 on day 2: "Stopping Quickly in a Curve".

Search
Identify
Predict
Decide
Execute

For the life of me I can't remember what the new curriculum changed the acronym to.

Just tell the wife you're training and improving your defensive and evasive driving skills for the coming zombie apocalypse and getting out of Phoenix with all due haste should it come to that.
I remember that slide now at orientation. First time I ever heard of it. Anyways, my wife is completely fine with me going. It's just that a new born needs a lot of attention.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It depends is the best answer.

High speed sweepers like some acceleration through them. Slow quick turns generally like a stab, point and shoot version. Then thee is all the other types of corners in between. Want to learn how to drive, find a rally driver to teach you.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... the racing line is a double apex.:)
Which is either an offensive line to gain a position or a defensive line to prevent losing one. Single-apex would be your qualifying line (absent traffic) and arguably the line for most HPDE driving where there shouldn't be any sense of "finishing position".

Norm

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends is the best answer.

High speed sweepers like some acceleration through them. Slow quick turns generally like a stab, point and shoot version. Then thee is all the other types of corners in between. Want to learn how to drive, find a rally driver to teach you.
I thought in an FR for a tight corner you'd want throttle and higher speed corners, brush the brakes to put weight on the nose for more grip?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I thought in an FR for a tight corner you'd want throttle and higher speed corners, brush the brakes to put weight on the nose for more grip?
Again it depends. There is no set way for every corner.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Let's all remember he was driving a GT3. Porsche mantra is maintenance throttle through the turn, never let off. This advice is not relevant to a Mustang.
Bullshit. Porsche guys make a big deal out of rear engines, but it's much ado of nothing. Ok, if you're driving a 1975 935 with garbage geometry & 3 Mississippi turbo lag, it can be tricky, but anything from a 993 on up is driven conventionally (regardless of what the PCA guys might tell you).

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
This is why the fast line through 2 at Laguna is a single apex and the racing line is a double apex.
:)
No. The fast line is the racing line. If you don't hit the first apex, then you never get to the second. Do you really think pro racers are *that* wrong?

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
No. The fast line is the racing line. If you don't hit the first apex, then you never get to the second. Do you really think pro racers are *that* wrong?
No, I don't think they're wrong. My point was that it is faster from a lap time perspective (in the majority of cars) to make turn 2 a single (late) apex. If there is someone behind you in a race, taking that line will get you passed. If no one is threatening, then the single apex is generally faster. No?

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
This is why the fast line through 2 at Laguna is a single apex and the racing line is a double apex.
:)
That's mostly true but still depends on car and driver. That's why racers look at segment times to do exactly that at T2 at laguna and see what attack makes time, what looses time, and what is lost from double apex park in the turn while trying to defend or if you can beat the guy late single apexing on the outside. Both can work because of how T3 sets up at laguna. I have passed cars racing in T2 both inside and outside lines.

Shogun might hate that guy who parks at the apex but that's how it is done racing. Unless you are getting blue flags and allow the easy pass. An interesting side note is how much HPDE people yap about point bys and parking at the apex as shogun describes. A faster car is going to find a way to pass or you are going to point them by. I think the fun is in the corners so if shogun hates the parkers then it would be in his best interest to point the guy early so shogun's fun is not taken away. On the flip side if the faster car isn't getting the point then if open passing group needs to do the doble apex pass and park instead of complain during downloads that shogun isn't letting him by. I wasn't picking on shogun just trying to make a point about working together or not working together on track.
Sponsored