Frustrating to park it all winter

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
The Mustang sits in the garage all winter because of having a truck for a DD. It's the definition of garage queen - it always looks nice because I never drive it unless the roads are dry, and it rains in Pittsburgh all the time (when it's not snowing). But it SUCKS looking at it sitting there doing nothing from November till April. I'll start it up for a few minutes while plowing snow in the driveway but that's about it. When money it tight the feeling is "damn, why I am making payments for it to sit there?" The rest of the time it's "damn, I can't wait to be able to drive it with the windows down again!" Today I put the winter wheels and tires on my wife's car as the Mustang was sitting there all quiet and shiny, and it was so frustrating thinking that it's gonna be months before being able to smell the warm fresh spring air as I'm cruising around looking at all the buds popping up on the trees. RRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! Wife and I are moving to Arizona as soon as we retire!
Sponsored

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
i know that pain all too well, i am from buffalo ny and hated parking stuff for 6 months at least so i finally said enough and moved to texas now i drive it all year round!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Nah.. that's when you get shit done.
gears ✓
maintenance ✓
clean top to bottom ✓
etc., etc. ✓

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
The Mustang sits in the garage all winter because of having a truck for a DD. It's the definition of garage queen - it always looks nice because I never drive it unless the roads are dry, and it rains in Pittsburgh all the time (when it's not snowing). But it SUCKS looking at it sitting there doing nothing from November till April. I'll start it up for a few minutes while plowing snow in the driveway but that's about it. When money it tight the feeling is "damn, why I am making payments for it to sit there?" The rest of the time it's "damn, I can't wait to be able to drive it with the windows down again!" Today I put the winter wheels and tires on my wife's car as the Mustang was sitting there all quiet and shiny, and it was so frustrating thinking that it's gonna be months before being able to smell the warm fresh spring air as I'm cruising around looking at all the buds popping up on the trees. RRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! Wife and I are moving to Arizona as soon as we retire!
I too feel your pain as I live 60-70 miles above you but I been doing this for4 yrs now and does get a little easier noing its safe. spring will be here before yo know it :)

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Nah.. that's when you get shit done.
gears ✓
maintenance ✓
clean top to bottom ✓
etc., etc. ✓
My man from up north. I'm on that same wavelength. Winter project will be taking out the Recaros and figuring out how to make them more comfortable, damn side bolsters squeeze my ribs. Also gonna black out the green Bullitt stitching. BTW bucket list includes attending Penguins games in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton!!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Put winter tires on it and drive it then. At the end of the day it's a car,,not an investment. If it's not paying enough happiness dividends then its not doing its job. Fluid film, PPF and winter tires will do just fine.
I've considered doing just that. In the end it's a compromise - on days where it's above freezing and there's no salt on the road, I'll take it out for a spin.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I'm about 150 miles west of you just outside Cleveland, and having a convertible, it gets put away every year also. But I planned on storing it every winter before I even bought the car.

Last edited:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I drive mine all winter. Its out in the cold, no garages. Just a car cover for when it snows. The absolute worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit. Indoors is better if you have to, but its meant to be driven all year round..

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
I’ve sold many mustangs over the years for this exact reason. When you drive them you fall in love all over again, but the minute they go into storage, the thought of selling the expensive garage sculpture crosses the mind. In the end we need something to look forward to, for me that is spring and bringing the cars out. Especially in this messed up world, we have few things left that can clear the mind as quickly as a stab of the gas pedal.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've considered doing just that. In the end it's a compromise - on days where it's above freezing and there's no salt on the road, I'll take it out for a spin.
Salt does little to nothing without moisture. Water is the necessary ingredient to create those damaging ions. Salt brine is an issue but I'm doubtful you plan to drive it right before a snowstorm lol

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Haven't thought about selling mine once since I bought it.
I have too much fun with it during the 6 months I get to enjoy it every year.
I sure do miss driving it during the Central Oregon winters, though.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The cars have a 5 year unlimited miles corrosion warranty. As long as you maintain them and do an undercarriage wash there really is nothing to worry about. Snow tires and drive it. Heck if like most people you'll trade or sell it before the 5 year warranty is up anyway. I mean heck you already contemplating selling it cause you don't use it, so use it. I trade cars about every 3 to 4 years anyway so I don't pay it attention. Once a week through the undercarriage sprayers at the car wash and IM good. And I'm in NC where they salt the roads in July cause someone said snowflake... kidding but serious they salted the roads till they were white about 30 times last year it snowed once for 20 mins. NO rust Im good :)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ve owned (20) Mustangs to date and never once did one sit during the winter.....

If you wash the car during the winter especially after a snow, there’s really no other concerns that would be presented while driving it any other time during the year... including in the rain.

As far as actual snow or ice driving, it’s just common sense. Full tank of gas, 75lbs of kitty litter or rock salt in trunk, snow or all-season tires and just keeping distance between you and the next person will get you from A-B as if it were dry outside.

DogNPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Royal Crimson, 2019 Bolt EV LT
I'll start it up for a few minutes while plowing snow in the driveway but that's about it.
Just letting it idle for a few minutes is probably not doing it any favors. It's my understanding that if you start it, you should drive it long enough to bring the oil up to normal operating temperature before shutting it down again.
Sponsored