Sponsored

Transmission failure at 9600 miles, lost reverse months ago and dealer says not warranty for clutch in pieces

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
My car has about 11.5k miles now, but it lost reverse at 9600 miles (I could get into reverse fine, but releasing clutch caused grinding and kicked the selector out), all other gears worked fine. I waited about 5 weeks, never using reverse in the mean time, for the car to get to see the transmission guy at my dealer. Right before I took it in, I started having problems getting into 5th, as it was grinding.

So I just got a call and all I know now is they said my transmission failed and it's being replaced under warranty. However, as the clutch is a "wear item" they want me to pay $2,800 for a new one. I am getting more details later tonight, but told them I'm not agreeing to that right now as this isn't a "wear" issue in that plates are thin and something is slipping, they are saying parts of the clutch itself are broken off. Given that the trans itself has "failed" I don't see how they can say it's my duty to cover the clutch as a wear item, particularly at 11k miles.

I'll have more info later tonight when I go there. Here is a little background, and also the VCT related issues I've been having: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-rough-idle-reoccurring-problem.145848/page-2

Would appreciate any thoughts on this transmission and clutch failure. Also, I mentioned that I have helicoil's in my engine block due to a AC compressor bolts sheering off. Ford does not allow this, but my dealer did it anyway and never consulted them. I have service record saying as much. At this point, I am trying to get them to replace the motor as well since the trans is already being replaced. They obviously don't want to do this voluntarily and I'm getting the run around. Anyone in particular I should contact at Ford to force this helicoil issue? I mainly want this done as the car is now in 6 times to fix VCT related surging issues that have not been corrected (more info in thread above) and a replacement long block comes with new VCTs that should fix this issue too.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Have you tried another dealer? Finding one that will be your advocate will go a long way than one who is constantly trying to screw you over. My advisor is always helpful whenever I have issues, and does his best to negotiate and reason with Ford on the various issues I've had throughout ownership.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I think you have a pretty good argument on the clutch personally, but it is technically excluded from the warranty. I'd fight for it if I was in your shoes!

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
If the plates are worn out then I’d be fine paying, but they are not and the clutch is not slipping. It has chunks missing I’m told whcih is a catastrophic failure, not wear and tear.

Also, $2800 seems high? How much does a clutch, flywheel (or resurface) and TO bearing parts cost? if they already are replacing the trans under warranty why do I have to pay full labor rate on the clutch?

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
agreed. looks like list for flywheel, slave and clutch is $1800 and change, but actual is more like $1200 ish for parts... thinking you are right about the extra labor should be pretty low to replace those while the trans is out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not an expert, but I think the term here is grenaded. Tons of metal shavings (see magnet covered in it). Bell housing has chunks missing and cracks, input shaft is missing chunks of teeth and similar among other components. The secondary cylinder bearing is also bad and grinding, but not leaking fluid. Something failed (they don’t know what) and set off a chain reaction. Halariously they think ford may want to rebuild the entire trans vs a single replacmeent trans, but he said he will fight that hard and I certainly don’t want a ton more potential failure points from a total in house rebuild. Will know more tomorrow.

Dealer agrees with me that the clutch that is missing chunks is not wear and tear issues but a catastrophic failure related to the trans going out, so are gonna try to get it approved to be covered by warranty but can’t promise it. The quote is 1.5 hrs labor $2750 total for clutch flywheel and to bearing otherwise whcih again seems high.

waiting to hear response on helicoils in motor regarding motor replacement too.

I don’t see a reason to be unhappy with the dealer at this point, we just have to see what ford says they will cover I guess.

4D85B507-4BEE-492A-90E4-4D950AD8756D.jpeg

CF6C553F-C3D4-447F-B8AF-C7F6FB1FBF52.jpeg

929DE792-A526-4B8E-BFA7-8F9EE832AA16.jpeg

AA8C13FE-7866-4B21-9C8E-645B4FA4A387.jpeg

42E9E0CA-B0D3-4E5B-AA9D-4F702F47CDE8.jpeg

0D36A7FB-2C74-4859-AD80-01EC697437DF.jpeg

99EB7936-CBB0-49CB-ABF6-02F5B31EFC6C.jpeg

BCB0E35A-92FC-45F7-81CA-7883CD33279D.jpeg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
All that from just 'losing' reverse? Looks like it was thrown into reverse at some decent forward speed.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I’m surprised they even opened it up. Most times they just order a new one. Dealers these days don’t rebuild them.

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
I guess I’m not seeing how the trans affected the clutch. Disclaimer: My trans/clutch grease monkey days were from the single disc/Muncie era so my knowledge may be obsolete, but here goes.

Reverse was not synchronized on my Muncie box, so if you had a weak/failing clutch, shifting into reverse was one of the first places you'd see a problem. Next, the difficulty would come in the higher gears at higher speeds, as the failing clutch would begin to degrade the synchros in the forward gears. Once the synchros started to go, the gear teeth were next. So when reverse went, did you talk to the dealer and receive the OK to keep using the car? I think I would have sidelined it, suspecting a bad clutch. Someone educate me on how the transmission can fail independent of the clutch and how that then can wipe out the clutch. I trashed a few Muncies in my day, but that was usually due to WOT powershifting that degraded the clutch and degraded the synchros.

Have you owned this car since new? Self-edit, I see you posted earlier you've owned since new

Last edited:
OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All that from just 'losing' reverse? Looks like it was thrown into reverse at some decent forward speed.
No, It's not necessarily from losing reverse. I didn't use reverse the 5 weeks I had the car after that presented and while waiting to get into the transmission dept. I asked multiple times and they really don't know what happened first to cause all this. I guess I don't really care so long as they don't fight on the warranty, what's done is done damage wise.

The trans shifted perfectly fine into all gears except 5th at the very last day before I took it in.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m surprised they even opened it up. Most times they just order a new one. Dealers these days don’t rebuild them.
That is the complete opposite of what the foreman told me, that Ford almost always wants them rebuilt and it will come down to the costs calculation on the decision of full replacement or rebuilt. He said almost everything needs replacing so it would be nuts here for them to say rebuild it.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Wow, that thing is jacked up. Looks like a drag strip incident with the bell housing and clutch fractures - but not hearing any of that was the case. Glad they owned up to owing you a clutch in addition to the transmission.
Sponsored