Sponsored

Transmission failure at 9600 miles, lost reverse months ago and dealer says not warranty for clutch in pieces

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
That is the complete opposite of what the foreman told me, that Ford almost always wants them rebuilt and it will come down to the costs calculation on the decision of full replacement or rebuilt. He said almost everything needs replacing so it would be nuts here for them to say rebuild it.
They rebuilt mine, but I didn't have any case/bell damage. I'm okay with rebuilt as long as it's still under warranty personally....
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Dual mass clutch discs are known to fail. Audiā€™s used to have issues on them coming apart. Back when Audi had manual transmissions of course.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Dual mass clutch discs are known to fail. Audiā€™s used to have issues on them coming apart. Back when Audi had manual transmissions of course.
At the same time as the rest of the trans?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Well what happens is the dual mass disc fails, sending chunks Into the bell housing causing it to crack. If some of it gets into the flywheel teeth then yes it could lock it up causing internal damage to the tranny. On the Audiā€™s yes bell housings and flywheels got damaged.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is absolutely insane to have some schmuck tech rebuild a transmission where 100 different things can be done wrong, when they can toss a brand new one built to whatever constitutes factory QC still on it's pallet onto a Fedex truck. WTH is wrong with these warranty people?

Sponsored

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
Well what happens is the dual mass disc fails, sending chunks Into the bell housing causing it to crack. If some of it gets into the flywheel teeth then yes it could lock it up causing internal damage to the tranny. On the Audiā€™s yes bell housings and flywheels got damaged.
So letā€™s say clutch failure happens. I had not read a post that said the trans locked up. Instead It sounds like the early symptom of clutch failure was responsible for the difficulty in shifting into reverse? That would be my guess. So then the car is still ok to drive on a race track? With no reverse gear? If it were me, Iā€™d take Fordā€™s offer and pay for the clutch, if they give me a new factory-built gearbox. Want to make a small fortune in tracking a car? Start with a large fortune....

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is absolutely insane to have some schmuck tech rebuild a transmission
I wouldn't trust them to instal a replacement trans.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
why not? Its just unbolt the old and bolt in a new one, and hook the shifter back up. They will not give you the parts under warranty for a DIY. Thats not happening.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
If the plates are worn out then Iā€™d be fine paying, but they are not and the clutch is not slipping. It has chunks missing Iā€™m told whcih is a catastrophic failure, not wear and tear.

Also, $2800 seems high? How much does a clutch, flywheel (or resurface) and TO bearing parts cost? if they already are replacing the trans under warranty why do I have to pay full labor rate on the clutch?
No only is that super high price for a clutch, they have to remove the transmission to replace and the clutch after that is no more than an hour.

After looking at the photos, it is my belief that the transmission was not installed correctly. Note the cracks around the pins that align the trans to the engine. I am guessing that when the transmission was installed, the mechanic didn't make sure that the alignment was correct. Then when torqued down, it broke the trans and it was not properly aligned causing all kinds of binding issues.
That's my guess. Real hack job.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I don't know the year of your 350R, but I just googled the parts: $1,050 plus shipping. An hour and a half to unbolt the PP and flywheel and replace with the trans out is ridiculous. It's a absolute max of 1/2 hour. I would raise heck and be a thorn in their side until they just give in and get it done. Tell them if they are pulling this crap, you will order the "Ford" parts and have them install them. That will still allow the car to stay under warranty.

I feel for you totally. It is just awful on a real performance car like the 350R which cost a pretty penny.

But, what about the possibility of the lemon law?

https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/...350r--5-2l-v8-gas/clutch--clutch-and-flywheel

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Push for the engine replacement for the A/C butchery. That is a high vibration system and the fix will fail and might not be repairable later. There is a reason Ford doesnā€™t allow it.

Also push for a new trans and clutch. The wear warranty doesnā€™t cover normal wear. Failure is NOT considered normal wear and is covered.

Push until you get what you want.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it takes some doing to bend a dowel pin too.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Thanks GreenS550 for those thoughts. My car is a december production 2017 R. I will bring up the potential for in incorrect install of the transmission, makes total sense. How else would the bell housing get cracks all around it and chunks missing out of it like that? if I get more pushback about warranty on the clutch, I'll bring this up for sure. They are not giving me any issue on warranty of the trans, and presumably a new one will be authorized, the foreman just warned me that his experience with Ford is they very often want to rebuild it, except there are a ton of damaged parts here.

Also, good point about the Ford parts. They gave me a potential invoice if Ford does deny clutch coverage for $2726.24. It annoyingly does not list the parts descriptions at all, just prices, so there are 3 parts: (1) $586.15 (presumably the $419.10 market price pressure plate FR3Z-7B546-D ), (2) $723.52 (presumably the $610 market priced Flywheel FR3Z-6477-C ), and (3) $1053.70 (?) before tax and $25 shop supplies charge. They add 1.5 hours of time on this estimate for $196.07 labor. Total then $2,726.24.

As for lemon law, yes I have retained an attorney and am looking into this. In MI, Lemon doesn't apply b/c this is out of the first year warranty period and didn't meet the requirements, but we are going to proceed with a Federal Magnusson Act claim based on the ~13 warranty service records and more than 4 months out of service and climbing, along with the 6 trips for the unfixed VCT related surging issue. I'm told the solution inevitably will likely be Ford offering some partial refund of purchase price. I love this car and want it fixed properly and would like to keep it ideally, which is why I'm pushing for the new motor from the helicoils too. If this doesn't work out, I'm gonna have to sell it and hopefully any settlement $ helps cover the cost of getting into a 2019 or 2020 lightly used R over what my car sells for.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Push for the engine replacement for the A/C butchery. That is a high vibration system and the fix will fail and might not be repairable later. There is a reason Ford doesnā€™t allow it.

Also push for a new trans and clutch. The wear warranty doesnā€™t cover normal wear. Failure is NOT considered normal wear and is covered.

Push until you get what you want.
We are on the same page ;).

Does anyone have a document about Ford not authorizing the helicoils in the block of the flat plane 5.2L? The shop foreman is in disagreement with me (of course) about their ability to be used or not, but claims he will still try to get Ford to authorize a new motor and will let me know.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it takes some doing to bend a dowel pin too.
Is it possible for this to be done via driving, or does it pretty much indicate mis alignment or overtorquing during assembly? Presuming the latter, does that make sense how a lot of the gear edges have worn/broken off and chunks missing elseware, along with the clutch? As Greens550 mentions possible binding and clearance issues when under high torque use.
Sponsored