Sponsored

Transmission failure at 9600 miles, lost reverse months ago and dealer says not warranty for clutch in pieces

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Yeah, mines been in the shop a while, going on 2 months. I've had it all of 1.5 days, it's a used 2017 GT350 and the transmission was starting to fail, it had a whining noise.

Supposedly they had all the parts/tools 3 weeks ago and now they say they need to order more stuff today... what PITA, I also have a 19 Raptor... I will say once I am done with these vehicles I am not buying another Ford again... At least until there is a complete overhaul to where they give a sh*t about their customers.
I have a 17 Raptor that I mentioned also got a new transmission in Dec that I posted about in this long thread. Everything was smooth with that process. Now my buddy just mentioned there is a cam phaser TSB on the Raptor and Navigator I get to take it back in for at some point. Already did 4 trips for freezing door latches, 3 trips for tailgate that was misaligned and would randomly pop open (losing stuff in the bed down the highway like my buddies snowmobile helmet), and a few other issues. I'll probably buy another Raptor when my 8yr warranty is up, but only if Ford get's their shit together. They have definitely lost me as a new track car buyer.

I am pretty sure my Shelby is drinking oil, probably close to the 500 miles per qt cutoff for a new engine. Going to keep an eye on this. I have a loud ticking sound from the passenger side cam's which it's most likely phaser issues, and perhaps the culprit of the surging issues on the highway that are mentioned in this thread and other threads here. I'm hoping these issues can make it through this summer and can deal with a new engine replacement in the fall.
Sponsored

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
I have a 17 Raptor that I mentioned also got a new transmission in Dec that I posted about in this long thread. Everything was smooth with that process. Now my buddy just mentioned there is a cam phaser TSB on the Raptor and Navigator I get to take it back in for at some point. Already did 4 trips for freezing door latches, 3 trips for tailgate that was misaligned and would randomly pop open (losing stuff in the bed down the highway like my buddies snowmobile helmet), and a few other issues. I'll probably buy another Raptor when my 8yr warranty is up, but only if Ford get's their shit together. They have definitely lost me as a new track car buyer.

I am pretty sure my Shelby is drinking oil, probably close to the 500 miles per qt cutoff for a new engine. Going to keep an eye on this. I have a loud ticking sound from the passenger side cam's which it's most likely phaser issues, and perhaps the culprit of the surging issues on the highway that are mentioned in this thread and other threads here. I'm hoping these issues can make it through this summer and can deal with a new engine replacement in the fall.

I had my eyes on the Raptor R as well, looking into putting a pre order in as soon as they allowed me, now I won't do it. I will let Ford work out all their issues and come back when I feel they've earned my money. I am glad others have had good experiences though, it shows my situation may be a snowflake and I know forums can exacerbate issues thinking there's a plague of issues going on when in reality nobody really comes here to tell us all how much of a good time they had (or those posts are so few and far in between of issues it makes it looks like theres more issues than good times, which I would strongly disagree with).

My fiance just bought a Bronco Sport to replace a totaled Mazda 3...

Sorry to hijack, just figured this would get more eyes on it, I am hopeful you get that new engine and that is something I will lookout for as well. I had planned to install Ford Performance catch can on the passenger side as people suggested it was a good mod to do.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Given that the OP's entire issue started with the AC compressor bolts, and since I've seen several posts and one actual car at a track day that had a failed AC compressor that may have been related to the same issue, I'm thinking of checking those bolts on my car before my next track weekend. Are they fairly easy to access once the belly pan is removed?

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Given that the OP's entire issue started with the AC compressor bolts, and since I've seen several posts and one actual car at a track day that had a failed AC compressor that may have been related to the same issue, I'm thinking of checking those bolts on my car before my next track weekend. Are they fairly easy to access once the belly pan is removed?
I've wondered about checking torque on fasteners too, as well as the crankshaft pulley. When I went to Miller Motorsports back in 2016 (same time as you - haha), the Ford Performance guys said the thing they had to do most frequently (engine related) was to keep re-torqueing the crankshaft pulley. I'm sure they have learned a lot more in the years since then.

Re: re-torqueing the AC stud bolts..... The shop manual says they are single use, but I don't know if that is because they are coated in loctite, are torque to yield, or some other reason. I'm sure someone around here knows.....I have read the same threads you reference where people had AC work done and the bolts weren't replaced, leading to fastener failure and eventual long block replacement!

1618842361766.png

1618842518574.png

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
The AC bolts are torqued to yield, which is why they can’t be taken out and reused. Yes, I had AC compressor fail and the dealer reused the bolts which caused the compressor to rattle lose, knock the ac belt and serpentine belt off and with water pump not running I instantly overheated coolant on track and went into limp mode. This didn’t have anything to do with my transmission issues down the road, which looks most likely the entire trans bell housing was slightly misaligned or mis torqued at the factory and eventually failed after 11k miles.

I have not done a track day yet this year, (May 1 will be my first probably) but I have not had any surging issues since the new clutch and trans. Might need a track day to show that again, but before it was also doing just on the road. Also, I have a pretty clear cam ticking on startup which goes away after a few seconds which means I’ll be getting some cam/phaser/lifter work soon. I’m keeping and eye on oil consumption first though bc if I qualify for a new motor that way, no reason to mess with the cams first.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
good news is the new trans and clutch has so far fixed my surging issue. 2 track days and no surging on the drive home.

bad news is dealer overfilled my trans fluid and on hard braking at temp it’s dripping out the vent and down onto the exhaust which causes a giant cloud of white smoke on corner entry. It’s a slow enough drip now I don’t think it’s a fire hazard, but this pisses me off. Need tires and oil change tomorrow so will address with dealer. The procedure is they are supposed to fill it to the fill Port and then get the car to temp to have the fluid expand and then open the fill to drain excess. They did not do this second part so the thermal expansion is causing red trans fluid to drip out the vent at the back of the engine driver side. I could not get to the fill port with the tools I had at the track and it almost ruined the day.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
good news is the new trans and clutch has so far fixed my surging issue. 2 track days and no surging on the drive home.

bad news is dealer overfilled my trans fluid and on hard braking at temp it’s dripping out the vent and down onto the exhaust which causes a giant cloud of white smoke on corner entry. It’s a slow enough drip now I don’t think it’s a fire hazard, but this pisses me off. Need tires and oil change tomorrow so will address with dealer. The procedure is they are supposed to fill it to the fill Port and then get the car to temp to have the fluid expand and then open the fill to drain excess. They did not do this second part so the thermal expansion is causing red trans fluid to drip out the vent at the back of the engine driver side. I could not get to the fill port with the tools I had at the track and it almost ruined the day.
Man, is this the same Dealership that screwed up with the A/C bolt issue??? If so, time to find another Dealership...

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

They didn't want to burn themselves.

Dicks

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Definitely time to find a new dealership
Sponsored