GT pulls to left on lift-off from acceleration

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, MT-82, Ruby Red
Just had an alignment done. rear toe was out of spec, but did not fix issue. Alignment tech could also feel it even at just 30-40mph. It's really bad at 80+. I have new Pilot Sport AS3+ tires and the pressures are all good. 2017 about 35K miles.

I'm going to schedule a dealer appt but they always blow me off. What could this be?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check everything for loose connections. A properly aligned car with no bad parts definitely won't do that. Listen for knocking noises.

Lift steer may indicated the problem is with the front suspension (lifting shifts weight back to the front axle). I had a control arm ball joint go out and the car liked to pull to that side, even tho the static toe was fine. It was the dynamic toe from the ball joint moving around that was the problem. I've also had a torn rear control arm bushing show up one day, and one time I lost a bolt in the front strut which caused a lot of steering funness when I lifted versus being on-throttle. Rear hubs go out, I've had three of those replaced. Sometimes that might cause some dynamic behavior on/off throttle.

Find the problem, then get it aligned. You can tweak the alignment all day and all night and if the problem is a bad part it won't matter.

Some tires will also just pull to one side. Try rotating your tires left/right and see if the behavior changes. My last alignment issue (bad control arm ball joint) was exacerbated by a tire which just seem to like to pull a little.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
make sure rear swaybar is neutral with driver in car

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Also - I know this sounds silly, but check to make sure tire pressure isn't way off. I had that happen to me when I didn't have tpms sensors in and the rear pressure was way off left to right and couldn't see it visually. Culprit was a faulty valve stem that was causing a slow leak. Before I noticed it the car would pull violently on and off throttle. Always good to check the easy stuff first.

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Tire pressure is good. After doing some driving this morning I’ve realize that it pulls right under acceleration and pushes left after lift-off.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Tire pressure is good. After doing some driving this morning I’ve realize that it pulls right under acceleration and pushes left after lift-off.
Could be driver induced. Make sure your clutch leg isn’t pulling back towards your left elbow. You can unconsciously steer left. Compensating for the rightward steer-ahead under acceleration can do the same when you lift off.

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Could be driver induced. Make sure your clutch leg isn’t pulling back towards your left elbow. You can unconsciously steer left. Compensating for the rightward steer-ahead under acceleration can do the same when you lift off.
Does it with hand off the wheel unfortunately - first thing I tested

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Did they check the bearings ? I would start with that just to be sure they are fine. Lift the car and just move the tires if you see play and light knocking the bearing is bust.
Not sure what they checked they were not detailed on the phone - I'll check the paperwork when I get it. I did have the car by a performance mechanic for some exhaust work and I mentioned the issue - he did an inspection on the rear wheel bearings specifically and didn't see an issue with them but I'm not sure what he did to come to that opinion.

It's possible. Sometimes you can get a radial tire pull.
The tire shop says that radial tire pull would happen at all speeds and not just lifting off after acceleration. Is this accurate? They seem like they don't want to be involved.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The tire shop says that radial tire pull would happen at all speeds and not just lifting off after acceleration. Is this accurate? They seem like they don't want to be involved.
I would concur.
If tires are pressures are still good, it's got to be something mechanical. Double check what Ford looked at to eliminate potential culprits. If not, might want to seek another opinion from another shop. How long has it been doing this? Did something change?

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
I would concur.
If tires are pressures are still good, it's got to be something mechanical. Double check what Ford looked at to eliminate potential culprits. If not, might want to seek another opinion from another shop. How long has it been doing this? Did something change?
I just bought the car exactly a week ago in Oklahoma and drove it to Colorado the same day. The issue was prevalent the first time I gave it a little gas (1 mile from purchasing it), and was prevalent the entire drive home (500 miles) to this point. The selling dealer put these tires on it for me (new) and did the initial alignment. As far as I am aware it's completely stock with exception to the exahaust. I had a PPI done, this didn't come up on the PPI.

[edit] The service advisor from my appointment did mention that they moved the fronts to the back and the issue is reduced quite a bit but still there. Not sure what this means from the perspective of whats wrong but it does point to tires?
Sponsored