2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
Both the ZLE and GT500 CFTP are my favorite cars right now, but I'm buying a ZLE because the great deals. Here's my take:

I don't think the base GT500 will compete with a ZLE on a road course, but I do think it will beat a base ZL1. I don't think the base GT500 can carry enough speed through the turns even though it will be faster in the straights. The ZLE carries even more speed through the turns than the C8 and should be slightly faster through the straights than the C8 looking at trap speeds in the quarter.

I'm still not sure what's going to happen with CFTP vs ZLE on a road course. It's going to depend on the ZLE making up lost ground in the turns.

Both the CFTP and ZLE will give a C7 Z06 a close race but be slightly slower. Neither would touch a ZR1. I'm talking about pro drivers at the limit of these cars of course.

Keep in mind with a CFTP you get ZLE laptimes, ZR1 1/4 mile times, and a comfortable ride.

It's a win. No need to defend the car.
The ZLE is a helleva bargain for track performance.

Definitely agreed that the CFTP will put down similar performance with a more comfortable ride.

On tracks like VIR the CFTP will very likely win, but I predict closer results, perhaps even leaning to the ZLE, on more technical tracks. The difference in acceleration is going to be significant, and with those massive brakes the ZLE is going to have a lot of work to make up in those turns.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Humiliated and embarassed.
Yep....dude couldnt figure out how to put oil in his car. Buys a camaro. Then pops in to talk sh!t. He should be embarrassed.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
What MT Posted is the the C8 was faster in the 1/4 mile @11.1 sec.

But the Mustang guys said the ZL1 has 650hp and the GT350 only had 526hp so of course the ZL1 will win. Now it is the other way around. The GT500 has 265hp more horsepower and it barely beat the C8.

upload_2019-12-17_20-0-34.png
You know better than that.

Mustang and Camaro are Very similar Cars. Ford na’ vs sc is unfair. Vette is a total different 2 seater platform League of car. That is mice engine! And way lighter. The fact that the Mustang can to Dust the Vette like that is really something.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
The ZLE is a helleva bargain for track performance.

Definitely agreed that the CFTP will put down similar performance with a more comfortable ride.

On tracks like VIR the CFTP will very likely win, but I predict closer results, perhaps even leaning to the ZLE, on more technical tracks. The difference in acceleration is going to be significant, and with those massive brakes the ZLE is going to have a lot of work to make up in those turns.
That's what I'm thinking. Can't wait to see the head to head. I'd REALLY like to see what the CFTP would do at the ring.

Sponsored

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
You know better than that.

Mustang and Camaro are Very similar Cars. Ford na’ vs sc is unfair. Vette is a total different 2 seater platform League of car. That is mice engine! And way lighter. The fact that the Mustang can to Dust the Vette like that is really something.
At some point they are going to have to decide.

You can't brag about the C8 beating the GT500 in the 1/4, then turn around and claim the HP advantage makes the track comparison unfair. Is the C8 faster or not?

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
If they keep it NA it will be interesting to see how that flies if the C8 Z06 has less horespower than the C7 Z06. There could be a backlash.
I don't think it will be N/A

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
No way it's true that they lose money on every car under $80k.
Hard to believe, I know. Apparently they had originally planned on the starting MSRP being closer to that $80k number...and they reduced it as they feared sales would tank. It's interesting to see that all of these C8's that they have been testing are optioned to have an MSRP north of $80k.

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
I am not sure the 5.5 qualifies as news. There was speculation all along that the mid-engine C8 might have a 5.5L engine based on the GTE class Corvette 5.5L built by Pratt & Miller. Past GTE class rules in IMSA limited N/A displacement to 5.5L, with smaller displacement (under 4L?) to use forced induction. It maybe that GM will bring the 5.5L to the street, but I would expect that to come at a cost. I.E. I doubt it will be available under $100K. The Ferrari 488 racing against the Covertte in the GTE runs a 3.9L turbo V8. as does the GTB. It's out of my price range at somewhere north of $256K.

The comparison to the GT 500 needs to stop. It seems clear GM is aiming to take the Corvette upscale. Why would GM build a mid-engine Corvette, equip it with a GTE class power plant to compete with a $75K sports coupe? Anyone cross-shopping a Mustang with a Ferrari 488 GTB? (I don't think so). However, comparing a 2-seat mid-engine production car to a 2-seat mid-engine production car that races in the same GTE class makes (dollars and cents) sense. GM can leverage Ferrari-like styling, Ferrari-beating performance (maybe), and price their product up to $200K and still have buyers consider it a bargain in comparison to a Ferrari 488, GTB, or spider..

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I am not sure the 5.5 qualifies as news. There was speculation all along that the mid-engine C8 might have a 5.5L engine based on the GTE class Corvette 5.5L built by Pratt & Miller. Past GTE class rules in IMSA limited N/A displacement to 5.5L, with smaller displacement (under 4L?) to use forced induction. It maybe that GM will bring the 5.5L to the street, but I would expect that to come at a cost. I.E. I doubt it will be available under $100K. The Ferrari 488 racing against the Covertte in the GTE runs a 3.9L turbo V8. as does the GTB. It's out of my price range at somewhere north of $256K.

The comparison to the GT 500 needs to stop. It seems clear GM is aiming to take the Corvette upscale. Why would GM build a mid-engine Corvette, equip it with a GTE class power plant to compete with a $75K sports coupe? Anyone cross-shopping a Mustang with a Ferrari 488 GTB? (I don't think so). However, comparing a 2-seat mid-engine production car to a 2-seat mid-engine production car that races in the same GTE class makes (dollars and cents) sense. GM can leverage Ferrari-like styling, Ferrari-beating performance (maybe), and price their product up to $200K and still have buyers consider it a bargain in comparison to a Ferrari 488, GTB, or spider..
People aren't cross shopping these vehicles because they are in racing classes. They are cross shopping them because they offer similar levels of performance in areas and are available in a similar price range. They absolutely should be compared. People cross shop vehicles for many...may reasons.

And GM isn't aiming to take the corvette upscale. They were stuck with RWD performance...and had to go mid engine or face being behind the eight ball. They wan't to compete with the high end cars...but on a budget. The big boys were jumping ahead....and the mustang GT and camaro SS was catching up.
Sponsored