Sponsored

Clutch burned out questions.

kammrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 crown vic
Has anyone replaced or repaired their clutch on the GT350 yet, I have only had the freakin car for three weeks literally drove it home approx. 300 miles car has 36,900 on it, took it to my local dealer last week for oil change went to take it out for a sunday afternoon ride and the clutch is burnt up can smell it as well as feel the slippage drove the car normally. Anyone else with the same issue, what can I expect as far as warranty? I did purchase an extended warranty plan when I bought the car. Hopefuly the car will be ok with this clutch issue corrected?
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Has anyone replaced or repaired their clutch on the GT350 yet, I have only had the freakin car for three weeks literally drove it home approx. 300 miles car has 36,900 on it, took it to my local dealer last week for oil change went to take it out for a sunday afternoon ride and the clutch is burnt up can smell it as well as feel the slippage drove the car normally. Anyone else with the same issue, what can I expect as far as warranty? I did purchase an extended warranty plan when I bought the car. Hopefuly the car will be ok with this clutch issue corrected?
I see your past your bumper to bumper warranty. I hope your extended warranty will cover it. Most won't (and don't believe bumper to warranty does either) since the clutch is considered a wear item like brakes. I'm sure someone that knows for sure will chime in. Good luck!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Clutches are wear items and not normally covered. My dealer said mine has 70 percent life at 30k.

Last edited:

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Did you stay at the dealer during the oil change? Any chance someone took it for a joy ride when it was at the dealership and drove the crap out of it?

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Did you stay at the dealer during the oil change? Any chance someone took it for a joy ride when it was at the dealership and drove the crap out of it?
That never happens.:crackup:

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Pretty sure your other post containing the following:

I did lay into the car before taking it to the dealer to see just how powerful it is running, I placed it in "sportmode" released the traction mode & realy smoked the tires 1st.-3rd. had smoke coming throught the a/c vents never had a car do that before, didnt really smell like burnt rubber though smelled like something burning
Your saga with this car is turning into an absolute dumpster fire. You purchase the cheapest GT350 you can find, hoon on it when you don't know what you're doing, and wanting to tune and mod it for more power when you barely just got the car.

Your extended warranty does not cover clutches, that's the premium care maintenance plan. Assuming you can still get it, people are paying anywhere between $2000-4000 for these plans.

IIRC, new clutch is going to cost you around what it costs for a set of tires, $1500~.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Your saga with this car is turning into an absolute dumpster fire. You purchase the cheapest GT350 you can find, hoon on it when you don't know what you're doing, and wanting to tune and mod it for more power when you barely just got the car.

Your extended warranty does not cover clutches, that's the premium care maintenance plan. Assuming you can still get it, people are paying anywhere between $2000-4000 for these plans.

IIRC, new clutch is going to cost you around what it costs for a set of tires, $1500~.
Nah. Clutch pack is about $450

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
I did lay into the car before taking it to the dealer to see just how powerful it is running, I placed it in "sportmode" released the traction mode & realy smoked the tires 1st.-3rd. had smoke coming throught the a/c vents never had a car do that before, didnt really smell like burnt rubber though smelled like something burning

Like this?

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
^ That's probably what happened. OP had the audacity to say he "only had the freakin car for three weeks literally drove it home approx. 300"

The car can handle being driven hard. It can't handle misuse and abuse.

If you could be so kind OP as to mention your VIN so we can start getting a blacklist going of which GT350s to avoid like the plague on the used market.

Sponsored

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
I had a customer bring in a GT500 engine that was a victim of a failed burnout attempt. The insane heat generated buy the slipping clutch traveled through the flywheel into the crankshaft melting the aluminum thrust washers on the rear main. this allowed the crankshaft to be pushed forward 1/4" at 7000 rpm. this ground up the complete short block. The remains of the melted thrust washers were found among the shredded metal in the oil pan, it looked like melted solder.

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)

Like this?
I can remember watching this video years ago and thinking to myself “what an idiot!”

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I had a customer bring in a GT500 engine that was a victim of a failed burnout attempt. The insane heat generated buy the slipping clutch traveled through the flywheel into the crankshaft melting the aluminum thrust washers on the rear main. this allowed the crankshaft to be pushed forward 1/4" at 7000 rpm. this ground up the complete short block. The remains of the melted thrust washers were found among the shredded metal in the oil pan, it looked like melted solder.

I’ll be the first....

OoOoOoooooo - any pics?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Great catch! LOL....

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
That's pretty insane, and the first time I've heard of such a chain reaction of failures just from frying the clutch. You're probably scaring the bejesus out of OP. He was praying the engine doesn't let go on him whilst also wanting to void the power train warranty by tuning the car.

As a side note OP, even though you have the extended warranty you should be careful. If you blow your motor, not only will they go through cars computer to check for any modifications, Ford will also ask them to pull the oil pan and look for signs of abuse.
Sponsored