Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Ron Swanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW & Lexus
That's one problem you get when engineers live in a country that has good roads and color their strength calculations accordingly. I'm being facetious but BMW, VW et. al. probably should circulate a memo that cars shipped to USA need to be equipped with sacrificial suspension mounts and 1/4" of plate welded to the shock mounts.
Lol. Dude many parts of Europe have just as bad, or worse roads than we do.

Every single car had inherent issues. My Toyotas/Lexus have less than most. My M BMWs often have more, lol. I've dealt with rear subframe reinforcements in 3 BMWs, haha.

Its what you accept in a car... IMO. I don't buy a car and expect it to be perfect. That's ignorant (again, IMO).

Not knowing what the deal is with these G1 engines is what really sucks. Just tell me the issues and I'll decide if I can deal with it or not.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I’ve had at least four generations of Golf Rs and drove the dogshit out of them on terrible roads. Never had a suspension part fail other than a strut bearing on aftermarket springs/shocks.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Lol. Dude many parts of Europe have just as bad, or worse roads than we do.

Every single car had inherent issues. My Toyotas/Lexus have less than most. My M BMWs often have more, lol. I've dealt with rear subframe reinforcements in 3 BMWs, haha.

Its what you accept in a car... IMO. I don't buy a car and expect it to be perfect. That's ignorant (again, IMO).

Not knowing what the deal is with these G1 engines is what really sucks. Just tell me the issues and I'll decide if I can deal with it or not.
I wrestled with buying a GT350, but the fact is a small percentage of GT350 owners have experienced catastrophic engine failure. And for the ones that do, it looks like Ford is taking care of them (assuming car is properly maintained and not modified). I drove a lot of stuff out there and the GT350 stood out to me at it's price point. I am not modifying and will take meticulous care of the car and if the engine fails, well, then I will use the warranty. I don't usually keep cars more than 3-5 years and if for some reason I decide to keep this car longer I would just buy an extended 10 year warranty and call it a day.

What I won't do is worry all the time. Or not drive the car out of fear. I drive the car. I check the oil weekly and I let the car properly warm up first before going past 4K rpm. But I also have fun with the car and use it as it was intended. Worst case the engine fails and I dump the car later if I don't trust it anymore.

Ron Swanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW & Lexus
I wrestled with buying a GT350, but the fact is a small percentage of GT350 owners have experienced catastrophic engine failure. And for the ones that do, it looks like Ford is taking care of them (assuming car is properly maintained and not modified). I drove a lot of stuff out there and the GT350 stood out to me at it's price point. I am not modifying and will take meticulous care of the car and if the engine fails, well, then I will use the warranty. I don't usually keep cars more than 3-5 years and if for some reason I decide to keep this car longer I would just buy an extended 10 year warranty and call it a day.

What I won't do is worry all the time. Or not drive the car out of fear. I drive the car. I check the oil weekly and I let the car properly warm up first before going past 4K rpm. But I also have fun with the car and use it as it was intended. Worst case the engine fails and I dump the car later if I don't trust it anymore.
I'm not here to debate anyone's buying decision. It's a fantastic vehicle and that's why I'm here. But I make it a point not buy vehicles that I have no clue of their inherent issues, at least when they are engine related and in this case, catastrophic.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not here to debate anyone's buying decision. It's a fantastic vehicle and that's why I'm here. But I make it a point not buy vehicles that I have no clue of their inherent issues, at least when they are engine related and in this case, catastrophic.
First of all, it's an honor to have you on our forum Ron, I'm a big fan.... :clap::like:
Much time has gone by and at this point I think Ford ventured into unknown territory with this engine (think Star Trek)... They had a lot of engineering puzzles to solve with taking the FPC engine and making it work in this scenario (vibration being one of the top priorities). I don't know if at this point they can say... "this is the issue and doing this will guarantee it doesn't happen again". With the 2019-2020 Gen2 engines there have been rumors that parts have been improved (valve seals, etc) but they are not disclosing this.
At this point i'm not going to grab my torch and lobby outside of Ford for an answer. they are taking care of replacing the engines.. I think the incompetent dealerships are more of a sore spot on this particular forum. That would be more of a nightmare for me is fighting with a dealership for replacement or having them be technically incompetent to replace the engine properly along with making sure hoses and other parts are secure :facepalm:... As I shop now for a 350, that has become an agenda item for me...
1. getting an extended warranty if needed
2. finding a local dealership that is competent so I know where to take it.

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think the incompetent dealerships are more of a sore spot on this particular forum.
This:like:

I don't want to go into all the issues with my local dealership, but if it wasn't for Ford's customer service manager I don't know if I would have ever received a replacement engine. Throughout this process Ford Motors has been great, and let's not forget they didn't just decide to take a Mustang GT and slap on bigger brakes & a super charger and call it a Shelby. The GT350's truly are a one of a kind, and I commend Ford for having the guts to build it!:flag::muscle:

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The 19R motor is definitely better than my 17. Whatever changes, I’m happy.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Lol. Dude many parts of Europe have just as bad, or worse roads than we do...
Bad enough, at least in the 60's, that the T5 Mustangs sent to Germany had an "Export Package" that consisted of reinforcement washers welded to the shock towers and a one piece export brace bolted to a reinforced plate welded to the firewall. Shelby American used those same parts when developing the GT350 and they were used in 65-66, also in 67-68 in modified form.

Ron Swanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW & Lexus
First of all, it's an honor to have you on our forum Ron, I'm a big fan.... :clap::like:
Much time has gone by and at this point I think Ford ventured into unknown territory with this engine (think Star Trek)... They had a lot of engineering puzzles to solve with taking the FPC engine and making it work in this scenario (vibration being one of the top priorities). I don't know if at this point they can say... "this is the issue and doing this will guarantee it doesn't happen again". With the 2019-2020 Gen2 engines there have been rumors that parts have been improved (valve seals, etc) but they are not disclosing this.
At this point i'm not going to grab my torch and lobby outside of Ford for an answer. they are taking care of replacing the engines.. I think the incompetent dealerships are more of a sore spot on this particular forum. That would be more of a nightmare for me is fighting with a dealership for replacement or having them be technically incompetent to replace the engine properly along with making sure hoses and other parts are secure :facepalm:... As I shop now for a 350, that has become an agenda item for me...
1. getting an extended warranty if needed
2. finding a local dealership that is competent so I know where to take it.
Well, I still think they should be extending the warranty, as this issue is obviously very prevalent. Have you looked into extended power train warranties? What are they running? Also yeah the dealership support I read about here is pretty pathetic.

I do agree that's its not on Ford to tell us, I guess tbh that's something I'd expect the aftermarket to know. It's sort of weird to me, this cars aftermarket support makes any and all of my European cars aftermarket support look like child's play, yet I know the inherent issues of those engines within a yr or two of release. Any M engine is a great example. Not a complaint, just a big surprise to me.

Also, I never said and don't think it's Fords job to make a bullet proof engine. In fact I said the opposite. I expect this engine to have issues, there's a reason OEMs don't make a practice of spinning engines with this displacement this high. I just want to know what the issues are I'm going to run into.

As much as I love this engine and platform, a M156 spinning 7800 rpm is sounding a little better right now to me than a voodoo. They just don't mate it to a platform I like as much.

Not trying to troll or anything, hope it doesn't come off that way.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Bad enough, at least in the 60's, that the T5 Mustangs sent to Germany had an "Export Package" that consisted of reinforcement washers welded to the shock towers and a one piece export brace bolted to a reinforced plate welded to the firewall. Shelby American used those same parts when developing the GT350 and they were used in 65-66, also in 67-68 in modified form.
Been to many parts of Germanys roads are better in every way to the roads in the northeast.. Englands aswell. But they deal with less snow and dont salt.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The Germans also use far thicker blacktop material and underlying base material than they do in the USA. The USA completely resurfaces a road and it's cracking and buckling in a couple years. In Germany roads last far longer. The paved secondary roads and autobahns in the Bavaria region of Germany are like glass. Our road building engineers could learn a lot from them; however, I think most US Federal, State, and local governments are unwilling to spend the money to provide a decent, long lasting road. Planned obsolescence comes to mind. Our whole infrastructure in this country is a disgrace.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think most US Federal, State, and local governments are unwilling to spend the money to provide a decent, long lasting road.
There's a huge industry that depends on frequent, repeat business. And anyway it's other people's money...

I was out in out west on travels and where you find a concrete road surface it tends to last a long time. But weather cracking is a problem so it's not used a lot or where there are large temperature swings. Or bitumen is layed on top and that gets repaved every 3-4 years to mask the crumbling concrete below.

Our whole infrastructure in this country is a disgrace.
we have the best roads politicians can buy. :)

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Well, I still think they should be extending the warranty, as this issue is obviously very prevalent. Have you looked into extended power train warranties? What are they running? Also yeah the dealership support I read about here is pretty pathetic.

I do agree that's its not on Ford to tell us, I guess tbh that's something I'd expect the aftermarket to know. It's sort of weird to me, this cars aftermarket support makes any and all of my European cars aftermarket support look like child's play, yet I know the inherent issues of those engines within a yr or two of release. Any M engine is a great example. Not a complaint, just a big surprise to me.

Also, I never said and don't think it's Fords job to make a bullet proof engine. In fact I said the opposite. I expect this engine to have issues, there's a reason OEMs don't make a practice of spinning engines with this displacement this high. I just want to know what the issues are I'm going to run into.

As much as I love this engine and platform, a M156 spinning 7800 rpm is sounding a little better right now to me than a voodoo. They just don't mate it to a platform I like as much.

They have extended some warranties for those that have had issues. But I can’t imagine any manufacturer extending a warranty to the 100% when maybe only 1% have experienced a major issue. Perhaps if more failures keep happening and Ford loses a class action lawsuit.

You can shop around for extended warranties online (Ford warranties) but I’ve seen low mileage premium care ones for $1200-2000 depending on how many years.

The standard powertrain is 5yrs 60K though and that covers most buyers.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

I haven’t heard of more than a couple of complaints about the gen 2 voodoo. It’s probably going to have a long life, relatively speaking. Early M156 motors actually had a ton of problems, probably more than gen 1 voodoo. Many new performance motors do and the issues are fixed with small updates, just like the voodoo.

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Added a vote for oil consumption. Have been trying to get dealers/Ford to take my consumption issue seriously since May. Have been doing a run around with them since that time. Most recently losing > 2 liters per ~500 miles.

Dealer called me today and said they're going to move forward with replacing the engine. Next step is getting Ford to approve.

Ford customer service reps full of lies and bullshit. Next car will not be a Ford.