Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Had someone look at it and the dealer put 3X the appropriate coolant in the compressor and too much oil in the system. It still makes occasionally very low volume groaning noises. Not as bad as when they first swapped the motor but more than before they swapped they motor. I wonder if the compressor is damaged slightly and there’s only a matter of time before it fails..

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
D
Had someone look at it and the dealer put 3X the appropriate coolant in the compressor and too much oil in the system. It still makes occasionally very low volume groaning noises. Not as bad as when they first swapped the motor but more than before they swapped they motor. I wonder if the compressor is damaged slightly and there’s only a matter of time before it fails..
Did you take pictures? I would let the dealership know they overfilled it and that there may be an issue and you expect them to replace it if there are issues later.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
D

Did you take pictures? I would let the dealership know they overfilled it and that there may be an issue and you expect them to replace it if there are issues later.
No, but I’m definitely going to talk to the service manager tomorrow

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Can you share the name of your dealership so we can all stay FAAAR away from them? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::explode:

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ford authorized the engine replacement, and my engine has been sitting at the dealer for almost 3 weeks because they (the dealer) haven't had time to fit me in. They told me to bring in the car last Monday 11/11, and was told it would be done by Friday 11/15. They called me Thursday and let me know they hadn't even started and wouldn't be able to get to it until maybe next week. Adding insult to injury, they left it sit outside the whole time even though they told me it would be garaged.

I could go to another dealer (nearest is 40 miles away) but I would have to start the whole process over again beginning with 2-3 oil consumption tests. This would set me back at least 1-2 months .......Ugh, what should I do?!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
That’s terrible. If Ford authorized the new motor then I’d find another dealer and have it sent over. I only took mine to them for it when it was scheduled. My motor was in for a week till they could do it. So it stayed in my garage till then. I’d call Ford Customer Cate and open up a case for bad service.

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I already have a case open with Ford Motors, it was the Ford rep that told me I would have to start over and if I went with a new dealer they would have to buy the replacement engine from the old dealer. I feel like I'm stuck with the old dealer if I want it replaced anytime soon.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Close to 2000 miles on the new motor in a week and haven’t lost a drop of oil. I’m so fucking happy. Now they just have to fix my a/c compressor!

Ron Swanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW & Lexus
Whoa this is pretty eye opening... In a few ways.

I've owned many performance cars, and a lot of these engines have inherent issues... It's often the name of the game. I'm not a mustang guy but I've always loved the S550 platform and almost pulled the trigger on a GT350 about 18 month ago. Other fantastic engines I've owned with inherent issues: BMW S54, S65 and the MB M156.

What scares me about the Voodoo is we don't seem to know the issues with the engines. Ford is keeping it way too tightly under wraps, and since they warranty almost all of them, very few people are pulling them apart.

I won't buy a Gen1 engine anymore and it's not necessarily because they blow, but because I have no clue what the underlying reason(s) are.

IMO Ford should be stepping up like Porsche did with the 991.1 GT3 and extending the engine warranty on these vehicles.

Good thread guys. I hope we can figure out the inherent issues in these sooner than later.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
The GT3 problem was a rod cap nut that would break off and shoot through the case and cause oil leak that would catch on fire. It was a safety issue. The most recent was the DLC coating flaking off the followed. In the first one they did replace every engine. Not sure the outcome of the second problem. But neither is like the Gen1 350 problems

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
That’s a touchy subject on Rennlist. Most of the failures seem to be people going off track and hitting curbs or ditches

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That’s a touchy subject on Rennlist. Most of the failures seem to be people going off track and hitting curbs or ditches
Happened to a guy on 129 in north GA. I was driving by when he was at the top of the route checking on the damage. I know the bump/dip he went over. It used to bottom out my VW Golf R front suspension and the same happen to this particular GT4 that had less travel. It’s a very light car with low suspension travel. GT3s have had some strut tower failures too. It seems to be more common on GT series Porsche more than other makes...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That's one problem you get when engineers live in a country that has good roads and color their strength calculations accordingly. I'm being facetious but BMW, VW et. al. probably should circulate a memo that cars shipped to USA need to be equipped with sacrificial suspension mounts and 1/4" of plate welded to the shock mounts.

Ron Swanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW & Lexus
The GT3 problem was a rod cap nut that would break off and shoot through the case and cause oil leak that would catch on fire. It was a safety issue. The most recent was the DLC coating flaking off the followed. In the first one they did replace every engine. Not sure the outcome of the second problem. But neither is like the Gen1 350 problems
You're combining two issues.

The first issue you describe effected 700 something cars (don't feel like googling) and Porsche told the owners not to drive them and replaced them right away.

The warranty wasn't applied until 2017, as a result of misfires at high RPMs. Iirc it was some sort of valve train issue, it's been a while since I researched it so I don't recall what they traced the issue back to.

So, the extended warranty does parallel the G1 issue. In fact, the G1 issue could be worse, we don't know. As I said that's what really concerns me.