Gt350 or C8

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
"Ding-Ding-Ding" Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner...!!!
This guy is SPOT ON (with the exception of the back seat in an R).
My thoughts exactly as far as exhaust and manual gearbox.
yes sir, but you can add the back seat if you want. That's why I say back seat. there is no option for that in a C8.
Sponsored

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
What I stated wasn't an opinion. It's a fact. That's why Chevy continues to use the small block architecture. That and cost. But consequently because of the stoich points being optimized for the 6.2 displacement, it won't ever rev extremely high without a serious rework of the top end, camshaft, and intake. It will also then lose its stoichiometric advantage within the RPM range that the engine has been tuned for.

Personally I think both Chevy and Ford diehards are fools because they miss out on quite a bit including learning opportunities to become more EMPOWERED. Cars don't have cooties people. It's more than okay to understand what goes on outside of the Ford Modular block. You may learn a thing or three.
I was talking to the other poster Cosmo not you and I do know about other engines and models I’m not claiming to be an engineering expert but I know enough to know I valued the 350 and it’s engine tech above other ones and let’s be real I can’t take apart engines like some of the other super knowledgeable and capable people on here but I obviously researched a ton before I got my 350 and I’m not missing out on anything if I would of wanted a Chevy then that’s what I would of gotten I’ve driven a Camaro with the 6.2 and it is a torque monster compared to fords but that’s not what does it for me in an engine I like to rev it out and have blip ability on downshifts which the 350 provides.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I find these to be odd comparisons -- one should pick whatever one finds appealing - how could that be wrong (and who's going to care enough to convince you otherwise? ;-)
Next stop going to a brunet model dating site and hem & haw over the pros & cons of blondes.

yes sir, but you can add the back seat if you want. That's why I say back seat. there is no option for that in a C8.
Not sure, aside from taking the younger kiddies for a ride, the 350's backseats makes sense let alone rationalizing a reinstall into an R for thoese rare occasions. But it is fold down storage space for those golf clubs & fishing poles ;-)

I brought a scandanavian work bench home in my non hatch LX 5.0 sedan (pushing the limits of common sense and seat contortion) and more regularly would cart around my drum kit in that car....things I'd say no, not going to happen these days. They're sports cars not sports utes. 2 seats isn't plenty?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
At $60k base on the C8 it will be on almost every street corner.
And that's alright and ALL AMERICAN. The Corvette has always been advertised as the affordable sports car for Americans.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Or if we can ever get a motor from GM that revs to over 6500 and isn't rebranded a LT2 with probably about 2 changes and some calibration to bump the power to 495 then act like its a modern marvel of technology when in fact push rod tech is older than some senior citizens.
The 5.5 FPC is going to cause waves.

Your right because Chevy definitely had the balls to engineer the worlds first front engined flat plane crank V8 while also figuring out the worlds first dampening system for it while Chevy was developing what a completely normal V8 that makes more torque which everyone who has common sense would know. Also 6,600 damn a entire 100rpm increase! Give the engineers an award. Also the mustang gt has port and direct injection which again is more tech than chevy can ever handle
Chevy was waiting for Ford to build it so they could steal it. They are now unfortunately going to potentially have the better engine with the 5.5 FPC. 600 HP, higher redline and more refined.

Flat Plane Crank is great but releasing it with the amount of engine exchanges they're having is not. Oil Consumption, filter issues, cracking blocks and exhaust manifolds, etc. This is many years into production, too. Not year one issues.

The whole point that people praise DOHC engines isn't necessarily the redline itself, rather the feeling of the engine in that the higher the revs go the harder it pulls. By that metric, the LT2 is superior. If you just want to say my engine redlines at X RPM, then go get an E92 or a GT3 or even an S2000.
For starters, the engine replacement numbers are low. They are hyperboles thanks to the internet.

Oil consumption is not uncommon on FPC and high performance engines. Especially those with low tension piston rings and high compression like the Voodoo.

What filter issues? Haven't heard of a single failure due to a properly installed oil filter.

Haven't heard of a single block cracking on its own.

Again, another non-existent issue. What exhaust manifold issues?

Mass production will inherently have issues with manufacturing (supply) defects. The GT350 is no exception but to imply it is above the industry standard for defects is ridiculous.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
What filter issues? Haven't heard of a single failure due to a properly installed oil filter.

Mass production will inherently have issues with manufacturing (supply) defects. The GT350 is no exception but to imply it is above the industry standard for defects is ridiculous.
I hear ya... but this is the internet and this is an internet forum. This is common place (i.e. "fake news").
The few Keyboard Cowboys and Internet Engineers can surely start a story and stir the pot.
I take a fair amount of whats said by them not with a grain of salt, but with an ocean of salt.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The ZR1 has dual injection. Part of the reason why the Small block doesn't have it in the other iterations is because it just doesn't need it. Truth is, that small block has better stoich efficiency with all of its displacement and utilizes fuel better. Think why Ford went to the 7.3 in the Super Duty. Same reason why The LS and Gen 2 LT's work so well.
The small block has better efficiency? That doesn't sound right to me. Is that why the GM products have to turn off cylinders and force 1-4 shifts? Does the small block have air/oil separators incorporated to prevent coking of the intake valves?

I like the small block, but I hate all the things that the EPA makes GM do with the SBC. DOD is terrible. Direct injection without dual injection I really dislike. And 1-4 shifts suck bad too.

I'd much rather have a Ford engine in a modern situation where those goofy additions are not needed.

I bet with the LT2 in the 'vette there will be annoying programming in the DCT similar to the 1-4 setup for fuel economy.

Chevy was waiting for Ford to build it so they could steal it. They are now unfortunately going to potentially have the better engine with the 5.5 FPC. 600 HP, higher redline and more refined.
Chevy doesn't need Ford's help to build a FPC engine. The mid-engine configuration is a good one for a FPC engine, since they will be able to set up two individual throttle bodies and go with a Ferrari firing order. It should be good.

Too bad it still won't have a manual transmission.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

For starters, the engine replacement numbers are low. They are hyperboles thanks to the internet.

Oil consumption is not uncommon on FPC and high performance engines. Especially those with low tension piston rings and high compression like the Voodoo.

I hear ya... but this is the internet and this is an internet forum. This is common place (i.e. "fake news").
The few Keyboard Cowboys and Internet Engineers can surely start a story and stir the pot.
I take a fair amount of whats said by them not with a grain of salt, but with an ocean of salt.
I've been here since the GT350 launched and watched these issues as they started occuring. I work in the Dearborn area as an automotive engineer, and know many Ford engineers who I pick their brain on. I'm not reporting anything false. Don't believe if you want, but the truth doesn't care about what you believe.

The issues I listed apart from the filter are listed in the link below. Zitrosound's first GT350 had a cracked block and posted about it here. A buddy of mine had his A/C Compressor replaced, and when they were reinstalling it they found a cracked block. There are a few others listed who had a block problem.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/replaced-voodoo-engine.104010/

The spin-on filters used to have issues with backing off before they switched to canisters in 2017.

Manifolds: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/exhaust-leak-cracked-manifold.114240/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cracked-header-opinions-please.100316/

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The small block has better efficiency? That doesn't sound right to me. Is that why the GM products have to turn off cylinders and force 1-4 shifts? Does the small block have air/oil separators incorporated to prevent coking of the intake valves?

I like the small block, but I hate all the things that the EPA makes GM do with the SBC. DOD is terrible. Direct injection without dual injection I really dislike. And 1-4 shifts suck bad too.
Not from a fuel efficiency MPG standpoint but from a stoichiometric standpoint. Basically that's asking how effective is one measure of AFR mixture at producing power. This is extremely hard to explain and there's a lot that can be countered without going super in depth but for now, just look at the torque curves RPM for RPM between say a Coyote and an LT1. The LT1 is pulling way harder for pretty much its entire RPM band and the Coyote doesn't peak until the LT1 is passed its own peak where it then drops off. LT1 and Coyote fuel consumption is actually quite similar so this is a reasonable comparison. Obviously there's more to a complete vehicle's overall fuel efficiency though, gearing, tires, etc. We're just talking strictly the engine traversed through its RPM band here.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not from a fuel efficiency MPG standpoint but from a stoichiometric standpoint. Basically that's asking how effective is one measure of AFR mixture at producing power. This is extremely hard to explain and there's a lot that can be countered without going super in depth but for now, just look at the torque curves RPM for RPM between say a Coyote and an LT1. The LT1 is pulling way harder for pretty much its entire RPM band and the Coyote doesn't peak until the LT1 is passed its own peak where it then drops off. LT1 and Coyote fuel consumption is actually quite similar so this is a reasonable comparison. Obviously there's more to a complete vehicle's overall fuel efficiency though, gearing, tires, etc. We're just talking strictly the engine traversed through its RPM band here.
Are you talking about brake specific fuel consumption?

RPM bands and where peak power hits has to do with how the engines are cammed and the sizes of the ports with respect to the engine displacement. The functional RPM band doesn't have to do with OHC vs. cam in block (although it is easier to make an OHC engine breathe really well).

Ford's setup allows cam overlap to be adjusted throughout the RPM band, so you can get more flexibility in how the engine makes power without messing up emissions. Emissions are really the thing that limits what the engines are doing right now, more than anything else. Cam in block engines can rev to 10,000 RPM and make power way up high if you want them to. Just look at the NASCAR 5.7 V8 engines. Those don't meet EPA emissions guidelines though.

Sponsored

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

I'd much rather have a Ford engine in a modern situation where those goofy additions are not needed.

I bet with the LT2 in the 'vette there will be annoying programming in the DCT similar to the 1-4 setup for fuel economy.

Chevy doesn't need Ford's help to build a FPC engine. The mid-engine configuration is a good one for a FPC engine, since they will be able to set up two individual throttle bodies and go with a Ferrari firing order. It should be good.

Too bad it still won't have a manual transmission.
My thoughts exactly way easier to do a FPC engine with a mid-engined setup

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are you talking about brake specific fuel consumption?

RPM bands and where peak power hits has to do with how the engines are cammed and the sizes of the ports with respect to the engine displacement. The functional RPM band doesn't have to do with OHC vs. cam in block (although it is easier to make an OHC engine breathe really well).
No not exactly. There's a video out there from Ford talking about the 7.3L which actually relates exactly to what I'm referring to. I'll try to find it. It's kinda ironic that Ford released poewr numbers for the Godzilla today and we're talking about this as well. That's going to be a great work engine.