Sponsored

Getting in shape

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Doc says I need to lose 20#, I figure why not 30 while I'm at it. I lifted a lot back in my 20s (no 'roids) and still have most of the bulk mid-torso and up.
Being 50 with an intermittently bum knee doesn't help, not to mention I like beer (the cause of the different bulk mid-torso to the waist).....
Diet is definitely the way you will lose weight. Being in shape requires some cardio and strengthening activities, but if all you want to do is lose weight it only requires you consume fewer calories.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah....it's the beer. Which I've cut out entirely during the week as of recently.

Sitting at a desk for a good percentage of the workday doesn't help matters.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Yeah....it's the beer. Which I've cut out entirely during the week as of recently.

Sitting at a desk for a good percentage of the workday doesn't help matters.
Same here. No more beer during the week. Although, the four day weekend kind of killed that. Drinking a ton of water now. Cut out almost all of the diet pop a while back. I might have one a week, just to mix things up. I went to the eye doctor with an issue, and she asked if I drank a lot caffine or alcohol. I told her I drink as follows: coffee, coffe, coffee, diet mt. dew, beer, beer. She was not pleased.

It doesn't help that the wife has a bad knee. She tripped over a laundry basket and broke her leg. She now has a plate and 7 screws, so walking long distances for her is out. We used to walk a lot. She always wanted to bring the dogs, which is a huge pain in the ass. The male has little dog syndrome. He barks at everything and everyone until someone, or another dog comes to check it out. Then he hides behind her and barks. The other one just rolls over for a belly rub if you get within 5 feet of her.

I don't mind the treadmill, if I have time. But between work, senior sitting, the grandkids 2 to 5 night a week, and all of the other chores, finding time for the treadmill is tough. I really do need to drop 20 and get back under the 200 mark.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A while back, my doc told me that there's nothing wrong with 1-2 beers a day, beyond that, not so much. I asked if you could bank those 1-2 beers per day for Friday nights. She was not amused.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
30 years playing rugby (still do) since I was in middle school keeps me in somewhat shape. I referee now more than I play, but still get a good, hard 80+ minute run in every weekend. Run or bike about three times a week to the local gym and back home. Plus...being married to registered dietitian helps!

Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Plus...being married to registered dietitian helps!
That's just plain cheating.

We had my grandson's 3rd birthday party at our house a month ago. He had a Paw Patrol ice cream cake. Grandma gave him an appropriate sized piece, which he didn't eat. SO.. here comes grandpa to the rescue. I get one little spoon full, I used his spoon, and turned around to chase the damn dogs out of the house. When I got back, the piece of ice cream cake was gone. I said "Hey, where'd the shrimp's piece go?" She looked at me and said, "You don't need it." That was harsh. :punch:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
When I was in my 20s, I did strength training (to keep me from having the physique of a stick), and then at some point got into cycling until I was in my 30s. Then... I sat on my butt. I'm almost 54. My doc kept bugging me to work out, and recently our neighborhood association built a fitness center. So, I dove back in, doing both strength and cardio workouts. Been doing it for a month now and feel so much better. It had been on my mind for a while. Seeing how my parents declined in old age in regard to mobility, has been a huge motivator. Some of their issues was age but it also has to do with bad choices/inactivity. My Dad spent the last year of his life essentially bedridden. I'm not going down without a fight!

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
About two weeks ago I started going to a gym with a trainer. Most of my life I was in very good shape. Athletic, natural muscular build, and I didn't have to work for it. Had active jobs that helped, but for the last 6 - 7 years I have literally no physical activity at this engineering firm and I let myself go. I'm in my late 40's now going 3 times a week. I'm starting to feel better and having more energy. But d*mn I hate those kettle bells.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I walk a lot, like at least 7 miles a day. Today I'm at 12. I don't run, I've got too many friends who WERE (note past tense) runners and have had or are waiting for hip, knee or ankle replacements. One guy I know was a marathon dude, he has had 5 out of the 6 joints below the waist replaced, two of them multiple times and the last untouched joint is gone now too. It's all about the impacts. I do 75 sit ups and 50 pushups a day. I eat whatever I want, was previously having issues with cholesterol, that's done with. I drink beer and wine daily in moderation, never more than 3 drinks a day. I've lost 20 pounds in the last year, now 165 lbs on a 5'10" frame. I feel great. I see people pounding by me jogging and I feel like I should be giving out sheets with the phone numbers of good orthopaedic surgeons on them. Swimming is good too, though I developed a reaction to chlorine so that's off the table.

Buy a step tracker watch and get out there and do at least 11,000 a day.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I walk a lot, like at least 7 miles a day. Today I'm at 12. I don't run, I've got too many friends who WERE (note past tense) runners and have had or are waiting for hip, knee or ankle replacements. One guy I know was a marathon dude, he has had 5 out of the 6 joints below the waist replaced, two of them multiple times and the last untouched joint is gone now too. It's all about the impacts. I do 75 sit ups and 50 pushups a day. I eat whatever I want, was previously having issues with cholesterol, that's done with. I drink beer and wine daily in moderation, never more than 3 drinks a day. I've lost 20 pounds in the last year, now 165 lbs on a 5'10" frame. I feel great. I see people pounding by me jogging and I feel like I should be giving out sheets with the phone numbers of good orthopaedic surgeons on them. Swimming is good too, though I developed a reaction to chlorine so that's off the table.

Buy a step tracker watch and get out there and do at least 11,000 a day.
A lot of that is older runners. Shoes, technique, they've all changed. Running is very safe now.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A lot of that is older runners. Shoes, technique, they've all changed. Running is very safe now.
Agree to disagree. I think there are things you can do to manage it, but running should be moderated like everything else. Even walking too many miles a day is hard on the joints. It's definitely good to move, but miles and miles of walking every day I would try to avoid. Especially outside on hard surfaces.

Quite a while ago I completely stopped running outside and when I run now I always try to keep it relatively short 1-2 miles max and on a treadmill for extra cushion. I don't think I have all the answers - none of us do - but IMO common sense would say the body isn't designed for hours of repetitive motion day in day out.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Agree to disagree. I think there are things you can do to manage it, but running should be moderated like everything else. Even walking too many miles a day is hard on the joints. It's definitely good to move, but miles and miles of walking every day I would try to avoid. Especially outside on hard surfaces.

Quite a while ago I completely stopped running outside and when I run now I always try to keep it relatively short 1-2 miles max and on a treadmill for extra cushion. I don't think I have all the answers - none of us do - but IMO common sense would say the body isn't designed for hours of repetitive motion day in day out.
I agree that moderation is the key. I run some, but mostly on a treadmill. Even at that I invested in some decent running shoes to help avoid injury.

Cycling is more my thing. As long as I keep the rpm up and don't try to stand on the pedals it's no impact and a fantastic cardio workout. That said, I used to do 60-80 miles a week on a road bike and one of my knees didn't like that.

About a month ago I bought a fitness watch and it's been very helpful in tracking my heart rate. I can adjust the intensity of my workout on the fly. The GPS on it is cool, because I don't have to use a bike computer necessarily. It tracks speed and distance for me. I've done enough cycling that cadence is pretty much ingrained so I really don't need that part.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree that moderation is the key. I run some, but mostly on a treadmill. Even at that I invested in some decent running shoes to help avoid injury.

Cycling is more my thing. As long as I keep the rpm up and don't try to stand on the pedals it's no impact and a fantastic cardio workout. That said, I used to do 60-80 miles a week on a road bike and one of my knees didn't like that.

About a month ago I bought a fitness watch and it's been very helpful in tracking my heart rate. I can adjust the intensity of my workout on the fly. The GPS on it is cool, because I don't have to use a bike computer necessarily. It tracks speed and distance for me. I've done enough cycling that cadence is pretty much ingrained so I really don't need that part.
I used to really enjoy biking - too hard on my knees though.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Most of the people who own Mustangs are older owners.
If ya like running knock yourself out, if you're young you'll have 30 years or so to find out whether it is "safe" or not. My brother in law used to think running was the be all and end all and was convinced it was "safe". He's been waiting 18 months for a hip replacement, doesn't think running is so great anymore.
Thing is it is just not necessary to run to stay in shape, there are many kinds of exercise that are kinder to the body and will keep you in fine shape. But whatever floats your boat.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Most of the people who own Mustangs are older owners.
If ya like running knock yourself out, if you're young you'll have 30 years or so to find out whether it is "safe" or not. My brother in law used to think running was the be all and end all and was convinced it was "safe". He's been waiting 18 months for a hip replacement, doesn't think running is so great anymore.
Thing is it is just not necessary to run to stay in shape, there are many kinds of exercise that are kinder to the body and will keep you in fine shape. But whatever floats your boat.
I don't run to stay in shape. I run because I like it.
And I meant older, as in years passed. Not age
Sponsored