Sponsored

Getting in shape

Runner12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550
So I've quit smoking, cut down on the burger/fries and have been getting more into running at least a few times a week (hence the username). I used to be a decent athlete in high school (football mostly) but have sort of let myself go since then,, so I am trying to get back to form.

Also recently joined a gym but find it really boring. Looking into maybe boxing classes or cross fit but I've heard it is tough if you are not already in shape.

Any thoughts? What do you guys do for fitness?
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I have renewed my interest in getting back in shape.

Joined a local CrossFit gym (Box) a couple months ago. I love it as we do a ton of Olympic style lifts. I did bodybuilding in my early 20's. Steroid free of course. Crossfit was the natural step for me. I only go 3 times a week, sometimes 4 depending on schedule, etc. I love it! The wife is going as well as we met in a gym 20 years ago.

Unlike me, she has has always kept herself in shape, still weighs exactly the same. Me? Not so much. I plan to drop 70lbs or so as I want to get back down to 200lbs and have my six pack back.

I signed up for a local personal coaching thing at my Box. Went to our goal setting meeting tonight. This will run for 8 weeks. Before and after photos, body fat and composition analysis is performed as well as a before and after CrossFit fitness assessment.

Looking forward to getting back in shape and being lean again. I still play tennis 2-3 times a week and this includes singles. I move well for a fat guy :D

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I'm sure Todd will agree, make sure u ease into it and are used to lots of barbell work if you decide to go the Crossfit route.

I tried out the new one by me in LA and it is no joke. Tons of barbell/kettlebell workouts. Not everyone there is fit but the attitude is not one where they will baby you either. Some even look down on people who can't keep up but depends on the place I guess.

I'm back at my regular gym and just doing the WODs (workouts of the day) that I learned there. They are REALLY good for, both strength and cardio.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
I stay fit by playing sports. Badminton and Softball. Badminton really gets you worked up. 1 hour of badminton is approx 500 calories burned.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure Todd will agree, make sure u ease into it and are used to lots of barbell work if you decide to go the Crossfit route.

I tried out the new one by me in LA and it is no joke. Tons of barbell/kettlebell workouts. Not everyone there is fit but the attitude is not one where they will baby you either. Some even look down on people who can't keep up but depends on the place I guess.

I'm back at my regular gym and just doing the WODs (workouts of the day) that I learned there. They are REALLY good for, both strength and cardio.
Agree 100%!! Gotta ease into if you are out of shape.

I love my Box and the 2 owners plus their 3 coaches. They don't push anyone as everyone is at different fitness levels. They even offer modifications for anything that is in the WOD.

My son does their pre-teen classes as well. He loves it at 12 years old.

I have belonged to many, many gyms over the last 25 years and this is by far the best staff ever. I feel lucky to be a part of this. They have cookouts, Christmas parties, New Years celebrations, pool parties, etc all at different members houses over the course of the year.

Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Im getting back into the fitness game after taking an almost yearlong layoff. I suffered a panic attack one night while lifting. It was so bad i thought i was having a heart attack, so i was transported to the hospital. Since then i stayed away from the gym. But now im taking a different approach and skipping the gym (mostly to save money) and basically doing bodyweight workouts and cardio. (Push ups, situps, squats, lunges, etc) Its a good regimen for general fitness and what not but not if you wanna build a good physique (although you can build one with bodyweight exercises too.)

OP
OP

Runner12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did watch the crossfit games on ESPN and don't think my body can handle that right now :)

Do they actually do one of those WOD's each day you go to the class?

I might try an intro class and see if the Crossfit place is friendly towards all levels of fitness.

Running is great for cardio and energy levels but not getting much for building muscle. If only shooting pool got you in shape, I can do that all day :D

OP
OP

Runner12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550
I stay fit by playing sports. Badminton and Softball. Badminton really gets you worked up. 1 hour of badminton is approx 500 calories burned.
I wish I had time for some kind of sports league. There was one at my job but it was mostly just messing around. I'm into team sports and most of my guy friends are too busy with kids to organize anything.

Tennis would be good, but I'm terrible. :doh:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did watch the crossfit games on ESPN and don't think my body can handle that right now :)

Do they actually do one of those WOD's each day you go to the class?

I might try an intro class and see if the Crossfit place is friendly towards all levels of fitness.

Running is great for cardio and energy levels but not getting much for building muscle. If only shooting pool got you in shape, I can do that all day :D
Yep on the WOD. Each day is a new WOD. They mix them up so you are working different body parts and strength moves.

You can go at your own pace in the workouts. It is really a great workout and atmosphere. I highly encourage you to try it:thumbsup:

You'd be better of doing HIIT. Run sprints once or twice a week. That will do wonders for you.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
One of the things I found is daily cardio, about an hour a day split into two 30 min sessions, followed my strength training is really doing well for me.

Day1: Chest and Back
Day2: Shoulders and Arms
Day3: Legs
Day4: Chest
Day5: Shoulders and Arms
Day6: Light Cardio (going for a walk, hike/etc)
Day7: Rest

Running that routine, with cardio every day, high protein (1 gram per 1.5 lbs body weight) and tons of water has helped ALOT. Since I work in an office I do not have a really physical job and that keeps me sane. Plus I find I do not need anything like melatonin or Tylenol PM to get to sleep at night :D

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.

I like your style. :)

Love Badminton. Love Baseball/Softball. Actually took a Badminton course in college 20 plus years ago as my one required PE credit. My Chinese instructor was always tickled when I would dive after the birdie on certain times. Easiest A I ever got in college. ;) Would love to get back into it if you were closer. Not sure my 44 year old back would hold up to the stress as it has been over 20 years since I played. You are correct, it is a good calorie burner. :)

jrease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
My heart rate goes up a lot when I'm tracking my car, does that count? :)

Joking aside, I used to be really into rock climbing. Its not only an awesome workout but it's a pretty social hobby so you can meet lots of people if you're into that.

Best part, the more weight you lose the better you get.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Ive been walking a lot at work and doing kettle bell workouts and cardio at home. Gotta lose 25lbs for kart racing season this year. Need to get below my minimum weight limit for me and my kart so I can add weight back where I need it.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Ive been walking a lot at work and doing kettle bell workouts and cardio at home. Gotta lose 25lbs for kart racing season this year. Need to get below my minimum weight limit for me and my kart so I can add weight back where I need it.

Google intermittent fasting. Helped me lose 20 lbs quickly. I didn't have Time to hit the gym so this worked wonders for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Without igniting a heated debate, I'd suggest that you be very careful and weary of any crossfit classes/programs. A lot of what's out there right now is more likely to seriously injure you rather than get you back into shape.

Todd mentioned it earlier, but HIIT is really good for leaning down while retaining muscle mass. Depending on your current body composition, you may be better off easing your way into it and sticking to regular cardio for a couple of months. HIIT, if done properly, is extremely effective but also very hard on your joints and lower back.

Also, I can't emphasize this enough but your diet and nutrition is extremely important. You can kill yourself in the gym 7 days a week and run sprints all day long, but if your diet isn't on point it'll all be for nothing. And congrats on quitting smoking, that's a huge step in the right direction.
Sponsored