Liquid Moly Ceratec

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
It's like the Frank's Red Hot of the automotive world.... I put that sh!t in everything! Tell me what you use, and lets discuss the engine oil additives that you swear by. Warning....butthurt feelings and hate for oil additives which some people think is voodoo in 3...2....1.....because this for some reason is a controversial subject to say the least! But I swear by Ceratec (and Marvel Mystery Oil).
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have tried it versus their MoS2 anti-wear and am not that impressed. MoS2 had better results for me.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
This one: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2009-Anti-Friction-Treatment/dp/B003U4O414/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16KB337SJIC0Z&keywords=mos2+liqui+moly&qid=1558097359&s=gateway&sprefix=MoS2,aps,224&sr=8-1
Did you have a tick and this stopped it? Seems to be much much cheaper, so I would prefer it if the results were the same.
I'll let him reply also. Just wanted to weigh in, I've tried both, and like most people (if you read reviews) I prefer the Ceratec. But I don't think you can go wrong with either product... Definitely worth the money. As for "tick" (A YouTubers myth in my opinion) mine's an early 2018 build, and I've never heard a noise from mine except for loud injectors and a little DI pump sound. I put Ceratec in mine at 500 miles when I ditched the factory oil, then again at 3k miles when I switched from 5W20 Mobil to a far superior diesel oil Rotella T6 5W40...I did so because it has better additives to help deal with the extra acidic blowby that comes from running an E85 tune. I recommend a heavier oil, in all n/a coyote engines whether you are boosted or not, its just smart insurance and costs the same, so why not? Mechanics in the know do this, and so do drag racers.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This one: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2009-Anti-Friction-Treatment/dp/B003U4O414/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16KB337SJIC0Z&keywords=mos2+liqui+moly&qid=1558097359&s=gateway&sprefix=MoS2,aps,224&sr=8-1
Did you have a tick and this stopped it? Seems to be much much cheaper, so I would prefer it if the results were the same.
Yes that one. No tick but I noticed a non-placebo reduction in engine noise under load (like 6th gear cruise) and a few other conditions from that, which returned when I switched to ceratec. Not knocking ceratec, as I know that people have had great results. I just didn't notice anything significant.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I’ve personally spoken to lube oil formulators and their greatest challenge is finding the right “balance” of additives. Some additives work with each other to improve the anti-wear film, while some work against each other and compete for surface area. Too much of one might be completely wasted or rob surface area from another that is needed. Then, they are faced with the solubility limit of the base oil (group 1>group 3>group 4) that also limits the amount of additive, so it could just wind up laying in the bottom of the oil pan or worse, prevent the oil from dissolving varnish or carbon. They basically scared me out of trying any additives. PP euro 5w40 here, fwiw.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'll let him reply also. Just wanted to weigh in, I've tried both, and like most people (if you read reviews) I prefer the Ceratec. But I don't think you can go wrong with either product... Definitely worth the money. As for "tick" (A YouTubers myth in my opinion) mine's an early 2018 build, and I've never heard a noise from mine except for loud injectors and a little DI pump sound. I put Ceratec in mine at 500 miles when I ditched the factory oil, then again at 3k miles when I switched from 5W20 Mobil to a far superior diesel oil Rotella T6 5W40...I did so because it has better additives to help deal with the extra acidic blowby that comes from running an E85 tune. I recommend a heavier oil, in all n/a coyote engines whether you are boosted or not, its just smart insurance and costs the same, so why not? Mechanics in the know do this, and so do drag racers.
My early build (second production run) has rattled forever. However, Ceratec changed the RPM range of the rattle, which is more livable. I have a very mild tick that started around 5200 miles (last month), but I have only used a half bottle of ceratec up to this point. I am going to pour the other half in and see if the tick disappears. Ceratec is pricey stuff though.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I do not know more about oil and additives than the engineers and chemists at the oil company so I use their products as is. I also do not know more about my engine than the engineers at Ford so I follow their specifications for 5W-20 with no extra additives.
Ymmv...

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@1MEAN18

Could you explain why 5w-40 is the smart solution? I thought in colder climates like the one I live in you shouldnt use that thick of an oil. I'm an oil noob so any info you can throw my way is much appreciated.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve personally spoken to lube oil formulators and their greatest challenge is finding the right “balance” of additives. Some additives work with each other to improve the anti-wear film, while some work against each other and compete for surface area. Too much of one might be completely wasted or rob surface area from another that is needed. Then, they are faced with the solubility limit of the base oil (group 1>group 3>group 4) that also limits the amount of additive, so it could just wind up laying in the bottom of the oil pan or worse, prevent the oil from dissolving varnish or carbon. They basically scared me out of trying any additives. PP euro 5w40 here, fwiw.
I've been meaning to try that. I'm going to try Redline 5W30 here relatively soon in prep for the summer's events (several autocrosses and a couple track days, along with aggressive DD'ing).

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
I do not know more about oil and additives than the engineers and chemists at the oil company so I use their products as is. I also do not know more about my engine than the engineers at Ford so I follow their specifications for 5W-20 with no extra additives.
Ymmv...
And 5w 30 is acceptable. The manual says so....

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
@1MEAN18

Could you explain why 5w-40 is the smart solution? I thought in colder climates like the one I live in you shouldnt use that thick of an oil. I'm an oil noob so any info you can throw my way is much appreciated.
I use it, in a diesel spec because I run E85. It helps with the more acidic blowby and gives the oil a chance to last a bit longer between changes. If I only ran gas, I wouldn't feel the need for this spec of oil. Ford recommends 5W50 use in our coyotes for racing, its in the manual actually. Anyone running boost, or E85 and cares about seeing their engine last longer, uses it. I use it exclusively in my 5.0 L as well as my little 1.6 L turbo in my Fiesta ST (which I run an E30 tune on). Great stuff! Hope that helps.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
My early build (second production run) has rattled forever. However, Ceratec changed the RPM range of the rattle, which is more livable. I have a very mild tick that started around 5200 miles (last month), but I have only used a half bottle of ceratec up to this point. I am going to pour the other half in and see if the tick disappears. Ceratec is pricey stuff though.
I use 1 1/2 bottles of Ceratec per oil change. Yeah, its expensive, but so is the hassle of engine failure (even if its covered under warranty). I buy 3 bottles at a time for approx. $17.50 a bottle. I use it in both of my new Ford engines...and they both purr like a newborn kitty. Zero tick. 3,300 miles on the clock so far.