Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Paid 18,500USD for the V6. Conversion with trade in for low miles V6 and transmission and let’s say 36,000 to have that car. Not bad in the end. It would not make sense for a 5.0 but the V6 guys can do this.
Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Wow
forget-it-hes-nqunii.jpg

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I ran a 428 SCJ with dual quads in a 67 Mustang GT 4.11 Ford top loader and an L71 67 Vette (427 tri-power) 4.11 4 speed. The coyote, stock will run with them no problem at a higher vehicle weight because of A/C, power steering, air bags, power anti-lock brakes, etc. that make the new cars more comfortable and safer while being more fuel efficient. Add a Whipple like I did and there is just no comparison. Both old big blocks didn't get into their power range until about 3500 RPM because of the camming and carbs to make them run about 12 seconds give or take .5 seconds because of track conditions. They also had headers, traction bars and more. Don't forget the smell of no cats exhaust. With or without forced induction, I'll stick with my coyote. Let me know when they put coyote type top end on 427 cubes. That I would love to see work. But yes, I look with back with great memories of simpler cars and times. But I have moved on.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I ran a 428 SCJ with dual quads in a 67 Mustang GT 4.11 Ford top loader and an L71 67 Vette (427 tri-power) 4.11 4 speed. The coyote, stock will run with them no problem at a higher vehicle weight because of A/C, power steering, air bags, power anti-lock brakes, etc. that make the new cars more comfortable and safer while being more fuel efficient. Add a Whipple like I did and there is just no comparison. Both old big blocks didn't get into their power range until about 3500 RPM because of the camming and carbs to make them run about 12 seconds give or take .5 seconds because of track conditions. They also had headers, traction bars and more. Don't forget the smell of no cats exhaust. With or without forced induction, I'll stick with my coyote. Let me know when they put coyote type top end on 427 cubes. That I would love to see work. But yes, I look with back with great memories of simpler cars and times. But I have moved on.

But these are similar design and modern refined. Variable valve timing. No vacuum heater tube with a warming shroud at the exhaust manifold. This is a modern engine with low end driving in mind. The kids (anyone under 53) are just used to small displacement engines.

Torque is accelleration and not horsepower. They will just have to experience the difference to understand it. And you can put a blower on the 7.3. A real set up with possibilities.

But I think the angst is partly that some may not be top dog in the Mustang realm after this. The big engine is daunting even if set up for hauling (hauling ass for us). Plus I think wives and neophytes will get what they expect when they drive this beast.

Nobody will take this understeering wonder to the track. The drag strip maybe, but not the track. To each their own. It seems there is now a legitimate reason to have this engine or it would not exist. And that is because the Ford engineers put aside their preconceptions and reverse engineered (technically wrong but you get the idea) an engine from the end requirements and got a 2 valve push rod engine as a result. What is old becomes new again.

Koodos to Ford engineering!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Original price was just for the engine. But the combo will raise the price but it all works out of the crate. Just get your custom drive shaft and hook up the gas lines and you’re good to go. Engine is lower and slimmer but slightly longer but some in the know tell me no alterations to the engine bay are needed. So I hear GM is coming up with their own version but at over 8 litres! The market wants what it wants... :crackup:
Unsubstantiated rumor. And if there is any truth at all to it, it is only for heavy duty trucks. But then again, so is the Ford 7.3L.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
This, this is what I'm talking about. Regrets buying v6, trolls everyone else. Shit I just bumped the thread...

Maybe as I did look at the 2017 Mustang GT but could not find one in black. I originally just wanted transportation but you guys got me interested again so there is some truth there. The other truth is that I don’t trust the present 5.0 motor. If it was solid I’d probably be driving one right now. But this new option is intriguing.

For those still reading this try this out when you drive your car. Keep your eye on the tachometer and see where it’s at as you go about your day. Mine is at 1,200 in “D” so if you wanted a more powerful engine, one optimized for 1,200 rpm will give you the most bang for buck experience under your typical driving experience.

So I’m not blowing smoke up anyone’s ass wanting power under the conditions they use it. I have never redlined my engine once. So that power means nothing to me. Some here track their cars but I am talking to folk who just drive it around. So now you can have what you always wanted.

But yes it’s true, time will tell...

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
But these are similar design and modern refined. Variable valve timing. No vacuum heater tube with a warming shroud at the exhaust manifold. This is a modern engine with low end driving in mind. The kids (anyone under 53) are just used to small displacement engines.

Torque is accelleration and not horsepower. They will just have to experience the difference to understand it. And you can put a blower on the 7.3. A real set up with possibilities.

But I think the angst is partly that some may not be top dog in the Mustang realm after this. The big engine is daunting even if set up for hauling (hauling ass for us). Plus I think wives and neophytes will get what they expect when they drive this beast.

Nobody will take this understeering wonder to the track. The drag strip maybe, but not the track. To each their own. It seems there is now a legitimate reason to have this engine or it would not exist. And that is because the Ford engineers put aside their preconceptions and reverse engineered (technically wrong but you get the idea) an engine from the end requirements and got a 2 valve push rod engine as a result. What is old becomes new again.

Koodos to Ford engineering!

Fuck your stupid comments about kids
Ive iowned plenty of big blocks.
Ive also got a measely 330in motor that makes more torque under 2000 rpm than most carb'd streetable big blocks can dream of.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
... I want to put it in one gear and drive all day on that like you could in the old cars.
For the life of me I can’t undersrand why anyone would think this would be a good idea. But even if that did float your boat, the modern 5.0 has 1000+ more rpm range than an old big block so it would be better suited.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
For the life of me I can’t undersrand why anyone would think this would be a good idea. But even if that did float your boat, the modern 5.0 has 1000+ more rpm range than an old big block so it would be better suited.

Normally I drive a truck with a 13L motor so all these motors are still relatively small. Its a different experience especially when empty. For all the hype I’m still underwhelmed by the present motor. It needs more at the very low end and this new truck motor should deliver on that.

Actually I want input on average rpm driving to validate an engine philosophy in my head. I really think a low rpm but high torque truck motor would suit most people here just fine. I really believe that!

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
BTW: I don’t think any specs are out yet on the motor so numbers mean nothing. But let’s say 475 pound feet of torque at 1,200 rpm would do it for me? Yup...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It needs more at the very low end
No, you just need to put a proper rear end gear on it and drive one without clutch protection on. That part of the factory calibration chops the nuts off 1st and 2nd gear torque delivery. 3.73 with the 15-17 MT82 ratios and you will struggle to hook up all the time with anything but a drag radial.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BTW: I don’t think any specs are out yet on the motor so numbers mean nothing. But let’s say 475 pound feet of torque at 1,200 rpm would do it for me? Yup...
You're dreaming! LOL. MAYBE, just maybe something like that at 2000 rpm. This isn't a big turbo diesel. I do not understand the fascination with just off idle torque in a performance car.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No, you just need to put a proper rear end gear on it and drive one without clutch protection on. That part of the factory calibration chops the nuts off 1st and 2nd gear torque delivery. 3.73 with the 15-17 MT82 ratios and you will struggle to hook up all the time with anything but a drag radial.

I get it but who is driving down to Costco in that set up.

A low rpm gas truck motor should still be docile and quiet but deliver on point and shoot everyday driving with aplomb! And again, do it quietly. Walk softly and carry a big stick. You know the feeling where you have enough all the time and never have to think about shifting. Just this feeling of invincible power at your foot! You get that with a big motor.

Cubic inches still has its fans!

Here is the 5.0 and Godzilla meeting in the Ford executive bathroom for the first time:

Sponsored

Last edited: