Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Fatguy, Mar 9, 2019.

1. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    You're dreaming! LOL. MAYBE, just maybe something like that at 2000 rpm. This isn't a big turbo diesel. I do not understand the fascination with just off idle torque in a performance car.

Hack likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Fatguy

Fatguy Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0
    #62 Fatguy, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

I get it but who is driving down to Costco in that set up.

A low rpm gas truck motor should still be docile and quiet but deliver on point and shoot everyday driving with aplomb! And again, do it quietly. Walk softly and carry a big stick. You know the feeling where you have enough all the time and never have to think about shifting. Just this feeling of invincible power at your foot! You get that with a big motor.

Cubic inches still has its fans!

Here is the 5.0 and Godzilla meeting in the Ford executive bathroom for the first time:

3. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Anyone that bought a 15-17 GT w/ performance pack.

SergeyMelnik and Dusten like this.
  4. engineermike

engineermike Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GTPP A10
    0   0   0
    Wait I though you said A10...

5. sdiver68

sdiver68 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
    Garage Profiles:
    Business and Information Systems Management
    0   0   0
    #65 sdiver68, Mar 10, 2019
    The best reason to do this is simply because it makes absolutely zero sense.

If you've BTDT with everything that makes sense, its only the unknown that awaits.

6. choate

choate Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    LS swap it. $900 junk yard special. Nitrous. You have yourself a 800 hp car

xmadror and Mikthehun1 like this.
  7. engineermike

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GTPP A10
    0   0   0
    If his reasoning was....it would be unique and attract attention at car shows, plus I have unlimited money, time, and staff, I would not take exception.

But his logic is low-end torque (5.0 is better, supercharged 5.0 better still), it’s simple (except it’s not), and it won’t be that expensive (flat wrong).

sdiver68 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Fatguy

Fatguy Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0

The unknown is the spice of life. Frankly I gave up on the big block and then this happened. I’m actually amazed at how few have jumped on board here. I’m still keen to see this setup in the flesh though.

9. OP
    OP
    Fatguy

Fatguy Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0
    #69 Fatguy, Mar 10, 2019

I get your argument but it’s the different feeling driving a big motor. Some of us don’t want high rev and constant shifting but that feeling driving a motor with large balls. It never gets old.

The price on the motor may be surprisingly affordable. Less parts. That was one of the objectives from the start.

10. engineermike

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GTPP A10
    0   0   0
    You don’t think the 7.3 is going to take full advantage of all 10 gears in that a10?

As for price, based on the Chevy e-rod package, it will be about $20k for the engine/trans combo. Tack on another 5-10k for other parts if you do it yourself. And another $10k++ if you pay someone to do it.

BmacIL likes this.
  11. sdiver68

sdiver68 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
    Garage Profiles:
    Business and Information Systems Management
    0   0   0
    BmacIL likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Fatguy

Fatguy Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0
    #72 Fatguy, Mar 10, 2019

I hear that and I hate hammering the engine bay. Some question this though. The bigger question is whether Ford already has an actual Godzilla mule on the road. I used to have connections but not anymore. It can’t see the light of day in a Ford production car. But the motor falls outside the EPA because it’s for a heavy vehicle. Here in Ontario, Canada we no longer have to submit to emissions tests or inspections so I could bolt one in and use it as long as I want. Probably in a number of States too.

The iron block opens possibilities for bigger bores that can’t happen on plasma coated blocks. So many possibilities with this motor! But I could end up driving such a vehicle where I live. Only comes down to cost. And as a V6 owner I have the most reasons to give it a go. Ford says we will see the conversions at SEMA so that will tell all in November.

I thought the R/T article only said the motor would probably need firewall alteration and not Ford? How do they know... If so, Ford has a lousy poker face... :cwl:

I checked and you are correct sir - but it's not a deal breaker. So Ford has - or probably has - a couple of test mules on the road. HELL YAH BROTHER!!!!!

13. engineermike

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GTPP A10
    0   0   0
    So when you start mushing down on the throttle to enjoy all this low-end torque, how do you plan to prevent the a10 from immediately jumping to a better (lower) gear that has more mechanical advantage (albeit at an oh-so-undesirable “high” rpm)?

Loki-GT likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Fatguy

Fatguy Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0

Actually the processor may just keep it in gear as there is no need to shift as much anymore. Depends how they set up the ECU and transmission for truck use. All this is changeable with a tune and I suspect these will be available in the aftermarket.

I just find it interesting on how much back lash I get in a Mustang forum where modding is the rule rather than the exception. But it would be interesting to see a Mustang set up for low rpm/high torque engine design. Some may like it but the track folk would hate it.

15. engineermike

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GTPP A10
    0   0   0
    You mean like the 3.5 eb in the truck? Let’s see...same gobs of low end torque....same a10 trans...and it still downshifts when you are cruising and you push down on the accelerator. With the a10, there are 9 gears that will accelerate better than 10th when you’re cruising.

I want to listen in on this conversation with your tuner. “Let me get this straight, you don’t want it to downshift when you give it more throttle.”

Most on the forum are all in favor of mod’ing but usually the stated goals actually match the path chosen. It actually sounds like you’d enjoy the heck out of a 2.3 eb. They make lots of torque right off idle and fall off hard on top end, a completely different experience from the stock 5.0. I drove one and it was actually really fun zipping around town.

I think folks are steering you you towards factory installed options or available kits is because they are far more likely to actually happen at a reasonable price and reliability than this pipe dream 7.3 you are enammored with.

16. Mikthehun1

Mikthehun1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    19 GT a10
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    BmacIL likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Fatguy

Fatguy Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0

Fair enough but time will tell. I can almost guarantee folk will set up shop for these conversions as even Ford has admitted as much. Like I said, SEMA should telegraph the viability of this conversion in November. But for what it’s worth it is cool to have a new big block pushrod 2 valve engine to mess around with. I’m almost 60 and missed the heyday of the big block. I can now check that box before they lower me into the ground. The big V8s could handle the three speed and later 4 speed autos. That is the smooth, quiet but high torque motors needed for that application. Ford is stuck with the A10 now so those are the breaks...

It’s like you give up on a dream and - plop - it can now be a reality. Can you criticize those of us that still lust after a new big block. You only live once mate...

18. IPOGT

IPOGT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang FP/GT 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400
    0   0   0
    You mean 1970 Olds 442 455 style burnout. Got ya. :like:

Mikthehun1 likes this.
  19. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    The answer is no.

jake_zx2 and Mikthehun1 like this.
  20. King K. Fool

King K. Fool Active Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang V6
    0   0   0
    I've seen some V6 owners come up with some pretty serious excuses, but this is just off the charts. Haven't lost this many brain cells while reading through a forum thread since the "I just ran the hose water through my Cobra block and now it won't start" days.

I just can't wrap my head around this nightmare of a project when there are running/driving classics with big block pushrod motors about 3 clicks away on Craigslist. :facepalm:

Loki-GT, jake_zx2 and Mikthehun1 like this.