Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Some days I want to lick my GT350 as well. Congrats on the purchase!
HA, yes, indeed! Lick away!
Went out for an early sunday morning cruise...no traffic, fantatstic sounding exhaust, rpm-aplenty! Perfection!

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I donā€™t think a sticky matters in this case as no one will let it die. I literally don't think itā€™s been off the front page since its inception. And far, far, from THEEEE most important thread a buyer should read. Only purpose this thread really serves is running people off. Yea, thereā€™s some informative stuff stuck here and there, but for the most part...

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Still good to track info. Hopefully, eventually, we'll find the problems or common denominators, and then, if possible, we can avoid the circumstances that contribute to engine failures. If it's a simple defect, like the o-ring on the oil pump slipping out as we saw once, then there's nothing we can do. But for the oil consumption issues, if we can tie that back to something, like how the cars are driven and/or maintained, then we can alter those habits in hopes of avoiding the problem.

But yes, it's likely blown out of proportion like most things internet-related. But for those who have lost an engine, it's their reality and it's a 100% failure rate.

Let's continue to report, speculate, and hope for the best... but take it all with a grain of salt.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Still good to track info. Hopefully, eventually, we'll find the problems or common denominators, and then, if possible, we can avoid the circumstances that contribute to engine failures. If it's a simple defect, like the o-ring on the oil pump slipping out as we saw once, then there's nothing we can do. But for the oil consumption issues, if we can tie that back to something, like how the cars are driven and/or maintained, then we can alter those habits in hopes of avoiding the problem.

But yes, it's likely blown out of proportion like most things internet-related. But for those who have lost an engine, it's their reality and it's a 100% failure rate.

Let's continue to report, speculate, and hope for the best... but take it all with a grain of salt.
I think we should report, not speculate.

4score

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have a 2017 GT350 that consumes, in my opinion, way too much oil especially when I hear folks say theirs consume next to nothing. Mine goes through 1.5-2.5 quarts every 1000 miles. The alert for an oil change just came up and I've added 11 quarts since the last change. Prior to the last oil change I had the dealership track the oil consumption and report it to Ford. The response from Ford is that up to 2 quarts per 1000 is "normal". While it may be "normal" and the impression I get is that it is far from the typical consumption most owners see, I don't find it acceptable.

I get no relief from the dealer since Ford is saying it is normal. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get in touch with someone at Ford above the dealership level in order to register a complaint? I read about others having engines replaced due to oil consumption issues. Maybe they had even worse issues than I do but I'd like to have the conversation with Ford instead of a service manager who can shrug it off.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I have a 2017 GT350 that consumes, in my opinion, way too much oil especially when I hear folks say theirs consume next to nothing. Mine goes through 1.5-2.5 quarts every 1000 miles. The alert for an oil change just came up and I've added 11 quarts since the last change. Prior to the last oil change I had the dealership track the oil consumption and report it to Ford. The response from Ford is that up to 2 quarts per 1000 is "normal". While it may be "normal" and the impression I get is that it is far from the typical consumption most owners see, I don't find it acceptable.

I get no relief from the dealer since Ford is saying it is normal. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get in touch with someone at Ford above the dealership level in order to register a complaint? I read about others having engines replaced due to oil consumption issues. Maybe they had even worse issues than I do but I'd like to have the conversation with Ford instead of a service manager who can shrug it off.
500 miles or less is not. You seem to be right on the bubble. Mine is currently around 375 miles/qt and is in the middle of a Ford oil consumption test. My dealer is calling this "excessive"

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '68 Firebird, '17 Raptor, '18 Macan GTS
Update on my buy back process. So far I have to say it has been pretty easy. Iā€™ve just been nice and got all the documents my case handler asked for at Ford in a timely manner and they are getting me my buy back offer next week. I had a choice for a replacemnent car or buy back. While I almost went for a ā€˜19 GT350 because I like this car so much Iā€™m holding out for the GT500 with high hopes.

4score

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Update on my buy back process. So far I have to say it has been pretty easy. Iā€™ve just been nice and got all the documents my case handler asked for at Ford in a timely manner and they are getting me my buy back offer next week. I had a choice for a replacemnent car or buy back. While I almost went for a ā€˜19 GT350 because I like this car so much Iā€™m holding out for the GT500 with high hopes.
Sid, was the buyback process initiated by the dealership? You mention having a case handler. That is the type of person at Ford with whom I'd like to take up my concerns but I don't know how to get into the process. The consumer hotline Ford provides is to an offshore call center where the old lady I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about and I never heard back from an actual Ford representative.

I'm a corporate lawyer and have connections at a couple firms that handle consumer class action litigation which is likely the only way to get Ford's attention on this issue but I don't have much interest in going that route. It's frustrating though because Ford says 1 qt per 500 miles is normal but there are so many owners who say they have zero consumption, even those that track their cars. I drive mine in a spirited fashion at times but I don't think in an unusual way for this type of car and have never tracked it. That amount of varience is unacceptable. It doesn't only hurt owners who have the issue but all owners since those of us that have the problem discuss it on forums like this which may make it seem like a larger problem than it is. That hurts the image of the engine and the resale vaues of all GT350s. Look at any auction of a GT350 and this topic comes up.

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sid, was the buyback process initiated by the dealership? You mention having a case handler. That is the type of person at Ford with whom I'd like to take up my concerns but I don't know how to get into the process. The consumer hotline Ford provides is to an offshore call center where the old lady I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about and I never heard back from an actual Ford representative.

I'm a corporate lawyer and have connections at a couple firms that handle consumer class action litigation which is likely the only way to get Ford's attention on this issue but I don't have much interest in going that route. It's frustrating though because Ford says 1 qt per 500 miles is normal but there are so many owners who say they have zero consumption, even those that track their cars. I drive mine in a spirited fashion at times but I don't think in an unusual way for this type of car and have never tracked it. That amount of varience is unacceptable. It doesn't only hurt owners who have the issue but all owners since those of us that have the problem discuss it on forums like this which may make it seem like a larger problem than it is. That hurts the image of the engine and the resale vaues of all GT350s. Look at any auction of a GT350 and this topic comes up.
I just got on the Ford web site and contacted them directly. I may have had some preferred customer status because I have bought 2 Raptors a GT500 and a GT350 in the last five years ... IDK. I didn't call freaking out I just said hey this is what is up and they started a case for me. They called me back and I could tell the woman I talked to was used to people screaming at her so I was super cordial. She asked me what I wanted and I said I would like a buy back. She said OK She would put in the request and a week later I got a call back saying they approved my buyback. Today I got thanked for being the easiest customer they have had to deal with. The offer is to pay off the loan, give me a check for the difference in the cars value and $2,500 towards a new Ford if I wish to purchase one in the future. It pays to be nice....

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
.... The offer is to pay off the loan, give me a check for the difference in the cars value and $2,500 towards a new Ford if I wish to purchase one in the future. It pays to be nice....
When you say the cars value, what is that number based on? Some sort of wholesale blue book trade in value? Original purchase price? What?

Also, did you happen to have anything else invested in the car like PPF? I thought I read where someone got reimbursed for the $2k or so they paid for clear bra too.

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say the cars value, what is that number based on? Some sort of wholesale blue book trade in value? Original purchase price? What?

Also, did you happen to have anything else invested in the car like PPF? I thought I read where someone got reimbursed for the $2k or so they paid for clear bra too.
From what I understood they refund the original sticker price with a deduction for mileage and do not reimburse state specific taxes or fees. Also from what I understand they do not take into consideration any modifications to the car like stone gaurd but you are welcome to remove any and replace with original equipment. I will update with further info as I go along.

My guess is that Ford will have your mechanics tear into your car to diagnose the problem before they moved towards any kind of buy back. They wouldnā€™t let my mechanic tear too far into the motor. Only far enough to find metal shrapnel everywhere. The then OKed a request for a new motor. The new motor is being installed in my car right now. This has been over a two month process. When I decided I had enough and called Ford myself the process has been fairly quick considering.

Front Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I'm gonna disagree with some posters in this thread about making this a sticky.

To the perspective buyer, this thread is important. If I were in the market for a 350/R I would want to read this thread in its entirety. If I still chose to purchase, I would do so knowing that this is a real issue and I could potentially experience the same. I'm not saying it would stop me from purchasing but I sure would like to know before I do.