Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I added CeraTec. Tick is gone. Ford Tech told me to switch to 5w30 next time and see if it helps. Since I'm modded, he didn't want to tear down the engine since Ford may deny the claim.
even on cold start the tick/tapping is gone now after ceratec? that is interesting if true..
Sponsored

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
even on cold start the tick/tapping is gone now after ceratec? that is interesting if true..
I seem to be one of the folks who originally tried this (was not my idea, I saw references in many places).... For me, the tick is no more after 1 bottle of ceratec - it has been several weeks with varied conditions (weather) and duration's in between driving my car (it's not daily driven) and my paranoia over the tick is starting to fade. I listened for it like a fiend before, but hot, cold, warm, AC, no AC, run hard, babied, etc... it's quite as the day I bought it (maybe more). I haven't noticed anything else, engine temps, oil pressure, all the same to the best of my knowledge.

I'm still on Royal Purple 5W20 and a Ford Racing filter - the stuff that started my tick journey when changed the factory oil at about 1K miles. I plan to switch to 5W30 Penzoil Platinum / Ultra Platinum at my next change interval, mostly because I personally believe it's much better bang for my buck over the RP and I just sleep better at night w/5W30. I don't think it'd resolve the tick, too many threads on this forum and several others with folks trying every brand and viscosity of oil they could get their hands on, and IMO none really solved it. I do also plan on dumping in another bottle of Ceratec when I change the oil next (several months away), already have it sitting on the shelf.... I know they say it's good for 30K, but I'm not interested in testing it.... one little bottle took me from thinking there was something horribly wrong w/my ride to back to thrilled to even look at it! So if that's the cost, it'll get a bottle of the magic Orange Julius lookin' stuff every change... worth it to me...

I dunno what's wrong... seems like the clearance theory holds the most water but I'm not the expert. I cannot imagine Ford are so oblivious as to not be aware of the issue, and am sorta curious why they wouldn't put out a TSB or something about adding an approved additive as a much more cost effective solution. Maybe they figure the bad press from that is more expensive than replacing the short block here or there.... either way I'm glad that decision isn't my problem :)

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I had the tick at cold start up and after a hot restart...Changed oem oil fill at 4500 mi and added 5w-30 Mobile 1, tick was the same. Added one bottle of Ceratec and all is good...Engine is quiet as a mouse. Still amazes me that 300ml poured into 10qts works this well.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I had the tick at cold start up and after a hot restart...Changed oem oil fill at 4500 mi and added 5w-30 Mobile 1, tick was the same. Added one bottle of Ceratec and all is good...Engine is quiet as a mouse. Still amazes me that 300ml poured into 10qts works this well.
I am going to change oil on my GT tomorrow. Its coming up on 17K miles and this will be the 4th oil change. I am running PUP 5W-20 and the tick is very minimum at this point but it is there. Ceratec should get rid of it 100% it seems.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I added CeraTec. Tick is gone. Ford Tech told me to switch to 5w30 next time and see if it helps. Since I'm modded, he didn't want to tear down the engine since Ford may deny the claim.
I just changed the oil today with Motorcraft 5w30 and Ceratec. No more tick. Seems to be a whole lot quieter too.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm still on Royal Purple 5W20 and a Ford Racing filter - the stuff that started my tick journey when changed the factory oil at about 1K miles. I plan to switch to 5W30 Penzoil Platinum / Ultra Platinum at my next change interval, mostly because I personally believe it's much better bang for my buck over the RP and I just sleep better at night w/5W30. I don't think it'd resolve the tick, too many threads on this forum and several others with folks trying every brand and viscosity of oil they could get their hands on, and IMO none really solved it. I do also plan on dumping in another bottle of Ceratec when I change the oil next (several months away), already have it sitting on the shelf.... I know they say it's good for 30K, but I'm not interested in testing it....
The interesting test would be to leave 1/3 qt out at the oil change so there's room for the Cera Tec, and run the engine on the 5W-30 PUP without the Cera Tec to see how the engine sounds. You can always put the Cera Tec in at any time if you want or need to. It would give a data point.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to try switching from MC 5w20 to PUP 5w30 next oil change based on the responses from those who have switched. I'll first try it without adding the Ceratec to see if the tick returns - Will be interesting to see.

Follow up on my Ceratec journey - Been in the car since Aug 31st, now approaching 2 months in the sump and about 4500km - the car is still quiet as can be. Ticking has not returned. It has also started getting very cold here in the mornings - near freezing some days - we've also had a few abnormally warm days too... Still quiet. :)

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I think if you need to change the oil to 5/10w- 30/40 in your car because something ain't right -- thats a sign to bring it into the shop, way to many running 5/20 with no problems.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I think if you need to change the oil to 5/10w- 30/40 in your car because something ain't right -- thats a sign to bring it into the shop, way to many running 5/20 with no problems.
I am not a fan of thin oil so I had intentions of going to a heavier weight regardless.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have already wasted time bringing it into the shop and was told "its normal". An oil additive is not going to fix a mechanical issue, so I will keep driving it without worrying about the tick.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have already wasted time bringing it into the shop and was told "its normal". An oil additive is not going to fix a mechanical issue, so I will keep driving it without worrying about the tick.
I'm switching to PUP5w30 next week. Today, I'm still on Mobil 1 EP 5w20. Today, went for a couple beers with a buddy, and on the way home gave it a bit of beans to warm things up. Pulled into the garage, and did a few rev blips in neutral. Not a sound. Quiet as a mouse. And that' still on just 5w20. This BBQ tick has got to be a piston slap issue.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm switching to PUP5w30 next week. Today, I'm still on Mobil 1 EP 5w20. Today, went for a couple beers with a buddy, and on the way home gave it a bit of beans to warm things up. Pulled into the garage, and did a few rev blips in neutral. Not a sound. Quiet as a mouse. And that' still on just 5w20. This BBQ tick has got to be a piston slap issue.
Good to hear that yours goes away when really warmed up, mine never did completely. It only ticked once up to operating temp and under very very light throttle between 1500-2000. I don't believe my issue is piston slap, only because I do hear piston slap on very cold mornings as the engine is warming up at about 2000rpm - That's a very distinct rattle and goes away within about 5 mins of driving. I'm leaning heavily towards the tolerance stack up issue that was discovered on the bottom end - has been referred to many times in repair orders - "Too much crankshaft clearance" "Double crank clearance" etc. I just wish Ford would come out with a TSB as it's only serving to make them look bad at this point - especially when they are telling people that their noise is "normal".

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good to hear that yours goes away when really warmed up, mine never did completely. It only ticked once up to operating temp and under very very light throttle between 1500-2000. I don't believe my issue is piston slap, only because I do hear piston slap on very cold mornings as the engine is warming up at about 2000rpm - That's a very distinct rattle and goes away within about 5 mins of driving. I'm leaning heavily towards the tolerance stack up issue that was discovered on the bottom end - has been referred to many times in repair orders - "Too much crankshaft clearance" "Double crank clearance" etc. I just wish Ford would come out with a TSB as it's only serving to make them look bad at this point - especially when they are telling people that their noise is "normal".
Piston slap is the only thing I think I can attribute this to. When my tick started at 800mi, I should have opened up the oil filter at my 1,000 mile oil change, but didn't even think about it at the time. As the tick got worse, and louder, it has worried me more over the last 2,000mi now. However, after running it hard, it goes away when the block is nice and hot. I did notice yesterday while sitting in the driveway during warmup, it started ticking quite noticeably. By the time I got done driving for a bit,t he tick went away. I can still hear very small remnants of the tick when normally warm in my garage, but not after being very hot from driving it hard. I really think whatever this thing is, is definitely related to the expansion and contraction of cylinders.

Amiller324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 10speed auto
So after the dealership having my car for 3 days they have decided that the engine rattle is just harmonics from the mode change for the exhaust. Which they have told me so many stories they couldn’t keep them straight!! Also when I had my first oil changed, the dealership figured out today that my oil filter was not tight and is has started leaking oil. The dealership that changed the oil failed to put the correct amount of quarts in the car. So for 4600 miles I have been 2qts low. The engine noise started in August and oil was changed in July. Unfortunately the rattle has gotten louder and there’s also a engine tick. The current dealership,will not do anything else for the car since they did not do the oil change. Just want to get y’alls opinion on how much damage this would cause.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So after the dealership having my car for 3 days they have decided that the engine rattle is just harmonics from the mode change for the exhaust. Which they have told me so many stories they couldn’t keep them straight!! Also when I had my first oil changed, the dealership figured out today that my oil filter was not tight and is has started leaking oil. The dealership that changed the oil failed to put the correct amount of quarts in the car. So for 4600 miles I have been 2qts low. The engine noise started in August and oil was changed in July. Unfortunately the rattle has gotten louder and there’s also a engine tick. The current dealership,will not do anything else for the car since they did not do the oil change. Just want to get y’alls opinion on how much damage this would cause.
If the oil level gets too low there should be a warning message popping up on the dash. I'm assuming the 2018 has the low oil level warning like the 2015-2017. Check your owners manual.

Running 2 qts low in normal street driving pronably didn't hurt anything.

Always check your oil level after having someone change the oil and filter.
Sponsored