Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I don't have the tick ... my engine sounds pretty quiet, and I'm always listening for noises. I'm switching to 5W-30 Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic as it's due for an oil change soon. I researched a lot of 5W-30 oils, and Valvoline looked really good to me (high HTHS and low Noack numbers), and it has some moly in the formulation too.

I have been running Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-20. But my GT only has 4K miles and had the first oil change at 2200 miles.
Right when I changed mine for the first time 2200, I wonder if the dealers are adding something to the vehicles? Mine was sitting in the show room floor, did not start it or test drive that particular car before purchase. So so odd that it happens to many right after an oil change.
Sponsored

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
Well, Alex Flores from Lund Racing now has the tick as well - this should be interesting to follow....
This is my car exactly. I can hear it cold with windows down sitting in drivers seat 47 deg F. Then by the time home in garage not there. Alex has to learn to disable seatbelt alarm ha! My 2016 did not have this. Also I wonder if he has the "diesel" rattle up around 2k-2.5k rpm slight throttle? Or is that the same thing?

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I added a bottle of Ceratec this morning before a Sunday drive... Drove for an an hour or so without stopping so it was fully mixed in with the 5w-30 Mobile 1. Ran the car to redline, through 3rd gear, a couple of times also. Typewriter or BBQ tick appears to be gone. Have not heard any ticking at all since. Let the car sit for an hour after driving, restarted expecting to hear the tick and nothing. Engine seems to be quieter all around. My thoughts on this are the noise is either hydraulic lash adjuster, timing chain tensioner or oil pump cavitation related. I do not believe this is rod knock, main bearing noise or piston slap. With that being said, what is this additive doing to quiet the ticking noise? Secondly, why has Ford not figured this out?

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I added a bottle of Ceratec this morning before a Sunday drive... Drove for an an hour or so without stopping so it was fully mixed in with the 5w-30 Mobile 1. Ran the car to redline, through 3rd gear, a couple of times also. Typewriter or BBQ tick appears to be gone. Have not heard any ticking at all since. Let the car sit for an hour after driving, restarted expecting to hear the tick and nothing. Engine seems to be quieter all around. My thoughts on this are the noise is either hydraulic lash adjuster, timing chain tensioner or oil pump cavitation related. I do not believe this is rod knock, main bearing noise or piston slap. With that being said, what is this additive doing to quiet the ticking noise? Secondly, why has Ford not figured this out?
Ford replaced my short block. Did an oil change at 1500 miles post swap. Added Ceratec with the change. It even quietens down normal engine noises.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Ford has figured it out, it’s big end stack tolerance.
So why can't they eliminate the issue? QC on the engine assembly line can't be that difficult to get a handle on.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Update... Cold start and my engine is as quiet as a mouse this morning. Amazing that 300ml of Ceratec, dispersed into 2.5 gallons of oil can work so well. Car is running, and sounding, great.
I do not think this is an excessive bearing clearance issue as there is no way you can add an additive to an engine and actually build up material, metal, bringing the clearance back into tolerance.

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Update... Cold start and my engine is as quiet as a mouse this morning. Amazing that 300ml of Ceratec, dispersed into 2.5 gallons of oil can work so well. Car is running, and sounding, great.
I do not think this is an excessive bearing clearance issue as there is no way you can add an additive to an engine and actually build up material, metal, bringing the clearance back into tolerance.
Did you ever hear the noise when you rev to 2200 rpms while in park? between 1200-2200 is most noticeable.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Did you ever hear the noise when you rev to 2200 rpms while in park? between 1200-2200 is most noticeable.
Yes, neutral gear, then gragually play with rpms up and down with small increments and I was alwways able to find the spot. Ceratec did not fix this tick, so that was the reason I drained it.

used Oil with ceratec looks wery noticeably weird, so do not suggest it if you are under warranty.

Next I tried 5w30 and that only relocated "the spot" to lower rpms and made it more pronounced.

So I think this engines preffers 5w20.

Last edited:

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not noticed any noise in this range...Just the intermittent BBQ or typewriter noise occasionally at cold startup and after the car has been driven for a while, shut off and re-started later, 30min - 1 hour.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would think if you had more bearing clearance, that using 5w30 would be better, as the slightly thicker oil will travel through larger bearing passages easier than otherwise.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
To get 1.5hp out of every cubic inch like Ford does with the 2018 GT, you have to minimize losses everywhere. This third gen engine has a new crank and new bearings, upgraded from ones used in the 2017 GT. You can bet that one of the advantages of these new components was a reduction in big end friction.

Add some stack tolerance issues to an engine with a (new for 2018) composite sump, and it's no surprise if you hear a few ticks from the bottom end.
Sponsored