Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I also think it's driven by the fact the Shelby world (and the hot rod world at large) has the huge allure of numbers matching, complete cars 20+ years down the road. That's very important to some people and that's OK.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If I had a 7 year 100k warranty I would be keeping my car until at least 100k miles. Heck, who am I kidding? I will most likely keep my GT350 well beyond 100k miles. I'm willing to overlook the flaws due to the fun I have driving the car.

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
thats my logic as well----I have the extended warranty and dont see a point of worrying about anything until I approach that timeframe

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Here to have the Ford premium care warranty for 36,000/5 yr. 50 ded. and since I leased car for 5 years and only put about 3,000 miles on car a year I feel pretty comfortable I'm ok till lease is up and give back especially the air conditioner that won't fall under the powertrain warranty. Plus I was lucky enough to get the warranty before the all but tripled the price ($620.00)

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I really do not see the point of this thread at all it only causes diminished value and paranoia! Yes I understand and feel for those that had to have there engines replaced at least Ford is repairing the vehicles with a new engine. I would be much more concerned if they were allowing the dealers to have there tech of the day rebuilding the engines.

I also believe many but not all of the failures are honestly due to owners either not fully warming up the engine coolant and oil or allowing the oil to get more than a few quarts low since many still believe this type of engine does not need attention. These are high performance engines and being the largest flat plane crank engine ever built it will have some additional needs.

I also can assure you down the road we will not see this type of engine anymore as everything will be electric or boosted.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

I also can assure you down the road we will not see this type of engine anymore as everything will be electric or boosted.
So it's either:
kenguru-car-electric-photo-01.jpg

or
upload_2018-9-12_23-29-24.gif

I'll take Max's :inspect:

Last edited:

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
2017 GT350R 7k Miles - Engine is kaput, no compression on Cylinder 5. For those that have gone through repairs or buybacks, would you be willing to offer some advice and expertise? Please PM me. I'm at a a weird crossroads with this, I'm almost certain I don't want a car that had engine swap done at a dealer.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
If someone doesn't know about the GT350s having engine swaps, they could think the replacement was due to owner negligence.

Also everytime a dealer has to install a new engine, LOTS of things are altered. Was everything that needed to be replaced, replaced? Were all the hoses installed correctly again? Is the wire harness crimped somewhere which will cause a short in 5k miles?
If it was owner negligence, surely the owner now has learned the lesson? Still don't see the stigma with a new engine.

And who would you trust to do the engine swap more than a dealer tech who works on Ford V8s all day long and who's been trained on that specific engine?

Sorry, I don't get it...

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
If it was owner negligence, surely the owner now has learned the lesson? Still don't see the stigma with a new engine.

And who would you trust to do the engine swap more than a dealer tech who works on Ford V8s all day long and who's been trained on that specific engine?

Sorry, I don't get it...
Multiple people here have been victim to poor oil filter changes on the early Voodoo's. This points to the technicians not following the simple instructions for the torque specification.

That's just the filter change.

Yes, it's probably not the same technicians swapping filters as swapping an engine but regardless, there's a precedence for poor dealer work at Ford's dealerships.

I wouldn't trust anyone but myself to swap the engine. If my Voodoo goes, it's having the engine swapped and I'm looking for a new vehicle.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153

Sorry, I don't get it...
I agree, would have no issue with a dealer doing it.

IMDNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Sorry, I don't get it...
Not hard to understand.

First, not all potential buyers read mustang6g and do a tone of research before buying the car. They see an engine swap, it is an automatic red flag. Walk away from something questionable, look elsewhere without further investigation, is most people's first reaction - especially when buying a used car. If they do a lot of research... well then, this thread is like a 'buyer-beware' type of sign.
People canceled their orders on 2014 911 GT3 due to the engine replacement recall, despite the fact that Porsche gave extra 1-year warranty on the new engine.

Second, engine swapping is not as simple as changing battery on your Nokia. No one wants the car to be opened up, unplugged or parts unscrewed.

Last, some dealer tech couldn't even install a front splitter properly with the instruction manual on hand, I don't know who to trust when it comes to engine installation.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Just wanted to report. 10,500 miles with over 10 track days and coming up on another weekend. Engine still rocks. If i had an engine failure, it will be replaced. I don't see the problem. Probably will have a failure at the rate I drive and track the car. It would be a new lease on life at that point. New engine!!!! WOOHOO~!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
People sell in the 350 owners group and S550 classifieds all the time, there are thousands of like minded people looking at those posts, and can easily tag a friend in need also. It’s where i’d look as an enthusiast for a good used car with some light mods at the same price, or better, than a dealer would have it listed stock. I understand that stuff doesn’t add much value, but the little stuff that adds up is already done to my car(MGW, tint, res delete, etc).

You’re right about cars.com and eBay though, i just haven’t gone through the trouble of listing there yet. The dealer offer on trade was so close to what i’m asking i may just take the easy way out, but thought the extras and new extended warranty might be beneficial in some buyer’s eyes.
You are wrong about the mods... when it's time to sell, 99% of the time mods deter buyers, not encourage. Of course there are a few enthusiasts that will prefer the mods added, but that is a very small percentage. You might as well put it back to stock, and never mention it was ever modded.
I mean engine/ transmission/exhaust mods, not tint and wheels and stuff. I have been buying and selling cars for over 30 years now.... I used to have a shop overseas. This still sticks to date.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to report. 10,500 miles with over 10 track days and coming up on another weekend. Engine still rocks. If i had an engine failure, it will be replaced. I don't see the problem. Probably will have a failure at the rate I drive and track the car. It would be a new lease on life at that point. New engine!!!! WOOHOO~!
I am on 10,720. No issues what so ever, although I do not track like you do... And I do about 2 oil changes a year; every 6 months, no matter how many miles (but this is also due to car being is storage for 4 months or so every winter).

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
You are wrong about the mods... when it's time to sell, 99% of the time mods deter buyers, not encourage. Of course there are a few enthusiasts that will prefer the mods added, but that is a very small percentage. You might as well put it back to stock, and never mention it was ever modded.
I mean engine/ transmission/exhaust mods, not tint and wheels and stuff. I have been buying and selling cars for over 30 years now.... I used to have a shop overseas. This still sticks to date.
yeah you agreed with me...i said "as an enthusiast" lol

i did not list my car any higher than i would if it was stock