Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
So you are saying this brand sells cheap cars to people with lower income by people who earns lower income, bad service is an expected no-cost option and it is normal?
I don't want to argue with you on this but this is laughable.
^This plus Ford sells plenty of 40/50k and up Edges, Explorers, F150s, non GT350 Mustangs etc. Their bread and butter is not the cheaper Fiesta, Focus and Fusions.

Ford has a corporate culture issue when it comes to this type of thing and nothing will change until their (or they get) leadership that is willing to change it.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
It is my understanding that the mechanics at a Ford dealership are paid by the job and not by the hour. The more jobs they can complete in a day, the more they will make. I commonly hear complaints that the pay isn't great. This might explain some of the reports of rushed and botched repairs. I know the guy who works on my cars at my dealership and I always throw an extra $20 his way (or more depending on the job) with the understanding that he take his time and do it right. Despite all the comments so far, I would have no problem or issue with any work done to my car by this individual right up to and including an engine replacement.

Maybe I am fortunate to have a dealership like this near me. I feel that no two dealerships are the same (some good, some bad). Mine has always been fair from sales to service every single time. I still text back and forth with my sales guy from time to time. I will maintain that relationship because it is nice to know that I can take my car somewhere and not have to worry whether the job will be done right.

Aside from the dealership complaints, I do find it disturbing that these reports of blown engines go unanswered by Ford. I understand why, but at a certain point there has to be some degree of accountability. If you wind up with a replacement engine, it will be discovered by anybody with any common sense doing their due diligence in a sale situation. As a buyer, I would probably not buy a car with a replacement engine. I certainly believe it would affect resale value. The truth of the matter is that you could treat a car 100% correctly and wind up with an engine replacement and you have this "stink" or stigma attached to your car via an OASIS or Carfax report.

Moreover, a long term ownership proposition outside of warranty is daunting. I bought the maximum extended warranty for my AG R, but what happens after that expires? I have the ability but not the facilities to pull an engine and do a major rebuild myself (never mind the time that is required).

If the reason for these blown engines is known (either the OPG or oil consumption issue), then the proposition of long term ownership would be more viable. How can you make a long term decision based upon no facts? Unfortunately, while these cars are under warranty, the fix for either problem is to replace the engine and never know what the problem was. I feel that once the 2015 and more commonly 2016 model year warranties start to expire, people and shops will be tearing these motors down to discover the truth.

So that leaves everyone with a choice. Accept the situation or get out before you have an issue requiring engine replacement (or never buy one to begin with). This is one of those cars that I feel in the future will be iconic (maybe the last of its kind). The days of these kind of cars are numbered, especially for large NA engines that are very unique.
i'm finding out the hard way what an engine replacement does to resale...they did give me an extended powertrain warranty of 7yr/100k, but it is helping zero. car is listed on 4 facebook groups and 2 forums, and not 1 bite lol.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
^This plus Ford sells plenty of 40/50k and up Edges, Explorers, F150s, non GT350 Mustangs etc. Their bread and butter is not the cheaper Fiesta, Focus and Fusions.

Ford has a corporate culture issue when it comes to this type of thing and nothing will change until their (or they get) leadership that is willing to change it.
not to mention the near 80k F250s running around! makes our cars middle of the road lol

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'

i agree with the first part, but ford has relatively new leadership and things have not improved. one could argue they have worsened.
nothing is going to change until people stop buying the product. what incentive is there for ford to address any of the issues if they keep selling? gaps particularly with the rear bumper are still a problem years into the model, with no improvement. there is obviously something going on with the voodoo that is occurring at a less than comforting rate, yet no updates from ford or announcements regarding a change to design/assembly. that costs money and if ford reps come on this site there is a loud population that says these things are normal or acceptable for a $60k plus vehicle from ford. if you question these concerns you often get accused of not being able to afford a gt350 lol. money talks and until the money starts talking to the point that ford can hear, do not expect any changes.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
It is my understanding that the mechanics at a Ford dealership are paid by the job and not by the hour. The more jobs they can complete in a day, the more they will make. I commonly hear complaints that the pay isn't great. This might explain some of the reports of rushed and botched repairs. I know the guy who works on my cars at my dealership and I always throw an extra $20 his way (or more depending on the job) with the understanding that he take his time and do it right. Despite all the comments so far, I would have no problem or issue with any work done to my car by this individual right up to and including an engine replacement.

Maybe I am fortunate to have a dealership like this near me. I feel that no two dealerships are the same (some good, some bad). Mine has always been fair from sales to service every single time. I still text back and forth with my sales guy from time to time. I will maintain that relationship because it is nice to know that I can take my car somewhere and not have to worry whether the job will be done right.
Tom, would you mind identifying the dealer you are talking about? I will be spending the winter in Florida again and may (hopefully not) be in the position of looking for a dealer to replace my motor for excessive oil consumption.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
This thread makes my eyes hurt...

Me too.

I'm looking to order a 2019 Shelby GT350 and every time I see this thread it makes me sick. :puke:

If I get a Blown engine after reading this thread and a ton of YouTube videos bitching about blown Shelby engines I'll go crazy.

It appears that 95% of the engines have very little problems. Is that correct?

I can't get the GT because the Manual in that car is a POS.

Why doesn't Ford offer the Shelby manual as an Upgrade in the GT?

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Are Blown engines always preceded with High oil consumption?

Is there any correlation?

I had two LS1 Chevy engines and both used at least 1 qt for every 500-1,000 miles. I just made sure I constantly checked the oil level.

I beat the hell out of those cars and never had an issue. One even had a knock since day one.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Are Blown engines always preceded with High oil consumption?

Is there any correlation?

I had two LS1 Chevy engines and both used at least 1 qt for every 500-1,000 miles. I just made sure I constantly checked the oil level.

I beat the hell out of those cars and never had an issue. One even had a knock since day one.
Since you will never buy a GT350, why do you care?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Me too.

I'm looking to order a 2019 Shelby GT350 and every time I see this thread it makes me sick. :puke:

If I get a Blown engine after reading this thread and a ton of YouTube videos bitching about blown Shelby engines I'll go crazy.

It appears that 95% of the engines have very little problems. Is that correct?

I can't get the GT because the Manual in that car is a POS.

Why doesn't Ford offer the Shelby manual as an Upgrade in the GT?
I guess I could have been clearer... My comment had nothing to do with the GT350 - it's awesome. If you're on the fence and lose the opportunity to buy a new one, well that's on you, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for a long time..

My comment was about how, IMHO, this thread has generated an inordinate amount of lengthy posts. These posts made my eyes hurt when I read through the gazzilion pages to get caught up.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
I guess I could have been clearer... My comment had nothing to do with the GT350 - it's awesome. If you're on the fence and lose the opportunity to buy a new one, well that's on you, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for a long time..

My comment was about how, IMHO, this thread has generated an inordinate amount of lengthy posts. These posts made my eyes hurt when I read through the gazzilion pages to get caught up.

Unless it's proven that the New 2019 GT350 engines are so-called Ticking time-bombs I'm buying.

My biggest issue is finding a dealer who will sell me at MSRP.

People said the same crap when I bought my LS1 engines. Had 2 Chevys with them and they were flawless, yet if you read the forums these engines were a disaster.

Same crap with my Z06, engine overheats, limp mode, etc... I've never had an issue but I've got the manual.

As far as I'm concerned if you bought an Automatic Z06 with a GM tranny for the track then you deserve to be in "Limp Mode". :giggle:

As for dealers, is there something with Ford dealers and terrible service?

I've bought from Pontiac (2002 Trans Am WS6), Corvette (several dealers) Honda, Toyota, Lexus, etc... and I've never had any issues with any of these dealers.

Even though I bought a POS Dodge 4x4 pickup that had a million issues, the dealer was always helpful and pleasant to deal with. They even covered Rust Corrosion when I had 99,600 miles on the truck. The dealer told me it was covered up to 100k miles. They replaced both door skins, a repaint, etc... did a great job. Zero dollars out of pocket.

I can't say I've ever heard issues on other forums with dealers, but you come here and it appears every Ford dealer is a crook. :facepalm:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Unless it's proven that the New 2019 GT350 engines are so-called Ticking time-bombs I'm buying.

My biggest issue is finding a dealer who will sell me at MSRP.

People said the same crap when I bought my LS1 engines. Had 2 Chevys with them and they were flawless, yet if you read the forums these engines were a disaster.

Same crap with my Z06, engine overheats, limp mode, etc... I've never had an issue but I've got the manual.

As far as I'm concerned if you bought an Automatic Z06 with a GM tranny for the track then you deserve to be in "Limp Mode". :giggle:

As for dealers, is there something with Ford dealers and terrible service?

I've bought from Pontiac (2002 Trans Am WS6), Corvette (several dealers) Honda, Toyota, Lexus, etc... and I've never had any issues with any of these dealers.

Even though I bought a POS Dodge 4x4 pickup that had a million issues, the dealer was always helpful and pleasant to deal with. They even covered Rust Corrosion when I had 99,600 miles on the truck. The dealer told me it was covered up to 100k miles. They replaced both door skins, a repaint, etc... did a great job. Zero dollars out of pocket.

I can't say I've ever heard issues on other forums with dealers, but you come here and it appears every Ford dealer is a crook. :facepalm:
Exactly what I meant when I said this thread hurts my eyes...

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
i'm finding out the hard way what an engine replacement does to resale...they did give me an extended powertrain warranty of 7yr/100k, but it is helping zero. car is listed on 4 facebook groups and 2 forums, and not 1 bite lol.
That, I don't understand. Why would people disdain a brand new factory engine. The opposite should be true. In the Porsche world, where early GT3s were catching fire due to bad engines ,Porsche replaced them and cars with new engines aren't looked down at all, I believe.

Separately, selling on Facebook might not be a great strategy. I never look for cars on Facebook and I don't know anyone who does. Try eBay and cars.com and you'll get a lot more traffic.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
That, I don't understand. Why would people disdain a brand new factory engine. The opposite should be true. In the Porsche world, where early GT3s were catching fire due to bad engines ,Porsche replaced them and cars with new engines aren't looked down at all, I believe.

Separately, selling on Facebook might not be a great strategy. I never look for cars on Facebook and I don't know anyone who does. Try eBay and cars.com and you'll get a lot more traffic.
People sell in the 350 owners group and S550 classifieds all the time, there are thousands of like minded people looking at those posts, and can easily tag a friend in need also. It’s where i’d look as an enthusiast for a good used car with some light mods at the same price, or better, than a dealer would have it listed stock. I understand that stuff doesn’t add much value, but the little stuff that adds up is already done to my car(MGW, tint, res delete, etc).

You’re right about cars.com and eBay though, i just haven’t gone through the trouble of listing there yet. The dealer offer on trade was so close to what i’m asking i may just take the easy way out, but thought the extras and new extended warranty might be beneficial in some buyer’s eyes.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

If someone doesn't know about the GT350s having engine swaps, they could think the replacement was due to owner negligence.

Also everytime a dealer has to install a new engine, LOTS of things are altered. Was everything that needed to be replaced, replaced? Were all the hoses installed correctly again? Is the wire harness crimped somewhere which will cause a short in 5k miles?