Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Getting mine lemoned in Texas. 3 months in the dealership shop since Nov. 2017. Went in today to be play reasonable and give them the option and of making me happy. Actually wasn't even considering lemoning it. Then they said they'd take my lemon off me and I'd give them $13,000 for a brand spanking new 2018 (as his tongue slithered)...Are you fucking kidding me?...My ride is a 2017 with 4500 miles...I called them out for trying to fuck me. I said this car is a piece of shit and now you want to ding me $13,000 for getting whole again? Unfuckingbelievable....Did I mention I am still waiting for a rear CV that was on backorder for 5 weeks, 3 months ago.

Any good lawyers in the Austin area?

I'll stick with the platform but want to be made whole.
sorry to hear.

and jesus christ ford get it together. this is not what i want to read as i'm debating a 19

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I started a case for a buyback, didn’t really mean to, but at this point that’d be fine by me. Right now, i have little faith they will get it running well enough for me to live with selling it to an individual(unless its a crank relearn and that was it, but it’s been 3 days so i doubt it). And this has been miserable enough i don’t want to trade for a new ford, the “warranty” is a joke.

The ford regional rep really started out on the right foot too...”how would you like to be contacted?” I say email or text please, as i am with patients all day and the building has a metal roof without good reception ...whats he do? He calls. Why ask if you aren’t gonna listen to what i say? It’s the little stuff, and at this point i just have to laugh

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
sorry to hear.

and jesus christ ford get it together. this is not what i want to read as i'm debating a 19
Believe that when I see it.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
After speaking to my regional Ford rep, my car was not eligible for a buyback(i didn’t think it would be). He was also the guy to tell me my car was ready to be picked up...not the fucking dealer, it just sat there for 4 days and was fixed, they just didn’t bother to tell me. But here’s some info you guys may be interested in...

Ford did not seem very interested in what i was telling them, until i said “i only buy mustangs, and my experience with this one has made me look elsewhere”. To be honest, it’s really the dealer that has made this experience absolutely miserable. I still had to hook the windshield washer line up, after soaking my engine bay in fluid. Of the 5 times it’s been there, i’ve Had to fix something 100% of those times.

But my point is i did mention making 4 payments while i limped around the 3-legged gazelle, and the hit i was gonna take on selling something that had the motor replaced. So they offered 2 things to help satisfy me...a 7yr/60k bumper to bumper type warranty, or a 7yr/100k Powertrain warranty. I chose the latter as i hope this will give the next buyer peace of mind with this motor’s mystique.

The car is finally running good, and is now for sale on multiple sites. I think if i get another Ford, i’ll Try another dealer or just get one out of warranty so my father and I can fix it ourselves and know its right.

wakekat15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kat
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I just got my GT350 back this weekend from having the engine replaced. I didn't blow the engine, but it was drinking oil. I couldn't go 800 miles and have oil still touching the dipstick. On my 4th time to take it to my closest dealer (not where I bought it), I told them it was my last time to bring it in. I started asking questions about a Ford buyback, and they got busy getting me a new long block. The car has 10,000 miles on it.

The dealer took great care of me from then on, providing a loaner vehicle and updating me every couple of days. It seems to be running fantastic, as you would expect from a Shelby. I will feel quite a bit better about it after i make it to my 1st oil change.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Does anybody have the high level Ford exec contacts for complaints (email)? I want to complain to the big boys of Ford Performance.

Thanks,
Jason

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ford dealers around me have worse customer service than Walmart. I knew this going in with this car and gambled. I got lucky. But point being, you guys shouldnt be surprised to have these problems with the dealer. Its the price you pay for $58,000 car made by ford. Its a lot of money for some I know, but think of it this way. Its built in the same assembly line as 25k mustang.

How much do you think the average price of a ford vehicle serviced at a Ford dealer?

How much do you think those people taking their cars to ford dealers earn annualy on average (mean average)?

How much do you think those people working at a Ford dealer make themselves?

Compare that with BMW, Audi, Porsche and even Cadillac or Buick and you have your answer.

This is the “catch” for buying a Ford. We all know this:)

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Ford dealers around me have worse customer service than Walmart. I knew this going in with this car and gambled. I got lucky. But point being, you guys shouldnt be surprised to have these problems with the dealer. Its the price you pay for $58,000 car made by ford. Its a lot of money for some I know, but think of it this way. Its built in the same assembly line as 25k mustang.

How much do you think the average price of a ford vehicle serviced at a Ford dealer?

How much do you think those people taking their cars to ford dealers earn annualy on average (mean average)?

Compare that with BMW, Audi, Porsche and even Cadillac or Buick and you have your answer.

This is silly. What does "average salary" of a Ford owner have to do with anything? And your second statement is most likely untrue, too - I know a mechanic who works at an Audi dealer in NJ, pay is no better than Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not silly at all. Follow the money.

Cheap car costs less. Target market is people who earn less. The product support network (dealer, service, etc) consist of staff who also earn less. Shall I go on more?

Its the same reason why Gucci and GAP are what they are (I m not into fashion so I apologize for bad example but I couldnt think of a better one).

Bottom line is, cheaper things that are of lower quality usually have worse customer experience overall.

And your statement about NJ mechanic is not true. I also know first hand how much BMW service employees make and I also know Chevy (not ford) and they differ as much as 25-30%. I think mercedes and porsche are even higher.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It is my understanding that the mechanics at a Ford dealership are paid by the job and not by the hour. The more jobs they can complete in a day, the more they will make. I commonly hear complaints that the pay isn't great. This might explain some of the reports of rushed and botched repairs. I know the guy who works on my cars at my dealership and I always throw an extra $20 his way (or more depending on the job) with the understanding that he take his time and do it right. Despite all the comments so far, I would have no problem or issue with any work done to my car by this individual right up to and including an engine replacement.

Maybe I am fortunate to have a dealership like this near me. I feel that no two dealerships are the same (some good, some bad). Mine has always been fair from sales to service every single time. I still text back and forth with my sales guy from time to time. I will maintain that relationship because it is nice to know that I can take my car somewhere and not have to worry whether the job will be done right.

Aside from the dealership complaints, I do find it disturbing that these reports of blown engines go unanswered by Ford. I understand why, but at a certain point there has to be some degree of accountability. If you wind up with a replacement engine, it will be discovered by anybody with any common sense doing their due diligence in a sale situation. As a buyer, I would probably not buy a car with a replacement engine. I certainly believe it would affect resale value. The truth of the matter is that you could treat a car 100% correctly and wind up with an engine replacement and you have this "stink" or stigma attached to your car via an OASIS or Carfax report.

Moreover, a long term ownership proposition outside of warranty is daunting. I bought the maximum extended warranty for my AG R, but what happens after that expires? I have the ability but not the facilities to pull an engine and do a major rebuild myself (never mind the time that is required).

If the reason for these blown engines is known (either the OPG or oil consumption issue), then the proposition of long term ownership would be more viable. How can you make a long term decision based upon no facts? Unfortunately, while these cars are under warranty, the fix for either problem is to replace the engine and never know what the problem was. I feel that once the 2015 and more commonly 2016 model year warranties start to expire, people and shops will be tearing these motors down to discover the truth.

So that leaves everyone with a choice. Accept the situation or get out before you have an issue requiring engine replacement (or never buy one to begin with). This is one of those cars that I feel in the future will be iconic (maybe the last of its kind). The days of these kind of cars are numbered, especially for large NA engines that are very unique.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My best friend turns wrenches for a Mercedes dealer (in NC if relevant). He's been there~28 years and he's making right around $80K a year, maybe slightly over. Like Tom said, they work the same way; paid by the job. This is an auto industry (dealership) standard. Each job pays a certain amount of time. He earns $X per hour (call it $40 for easy math). The per hour $$ can vary from mechanic to mechanic in the same shop. If an engine replacement pays 2.0 hours, he gets paid $80 to replace that engine no matter how long it actually takes him. If it take him six hours, he still only makes $80. IMHO, not a good pay system for something so customer service oriented. No incentive to slow down and do it right. Get that sucker in and out as quick as possible. Why? Cause if he finishes that job in one hour, he still gets the $80, and now he can start on the next job that much quicker. I guess the only incentive to do it right is if it comes back, it's now on his time to fix it.

But I also know from my own experiences from being around my buddy and his shop guys that the caliber of mechanic (for the most part, but not always; I'm sure there are exceptions) between Ford and top end cars is different. Or thus I have seen.

If mine ever has to go to the shop for anything, I will be making the greatest attempt to get to meet whoever is going to be turning the wrenches and he will be tipped and treated to lunch every day, but that's just me. Shouldn't have to be this way, I agree...but it is.

I also agree with Tom...I'll be keeping mine for stated reasons and not loose a single night sleep over it;)

IMDNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

So you are saying this brand sells cheap cars to people with lower income by people who earns lower income, bad service is an expected no-cost option and it is normal?
I don't want to argue with you on this but this is laughable.