Sponsored

Is a GT too impractical for daily driving?

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
I have daily driven Mustangs for over 20 years in the mid Atlantic. In 1997 I purchased a Ranger because I thought it would be more practical and was concerned of it snowed as I was on my own then. I traded it after 9 months for my still owned 1998 GT because I did not feel like myself without a Mustang!
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I really gotta try quiet mode. Actually, I'm a lady, he's the one trying to wield his power right now ;) He's an extremely frugal guy and doesn't believe in buying new cars, much less a GT.
Quiet mode is nice. Having the option is like having two cars, one refined and one that rattles your teeth.

I did a remote cold start from two streets over and I was astounded by how obnoxiously loud normal mode was.

I guess it's no more impractical than having a large SUV or truck for daily driving.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
You own two virtually new cars, and you're worried about gas prices?

I quit. No one makes any sense anymore. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
First world problems bro.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

Yeah, I do own two new cars. One I drive for fun, one I drive for more work commuting / bad weather. Is there something wrong with driving one car less when gas prices rise?

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

You’re not the one taking the crazy pills. Trust me on that! ;)

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Yeah, I do own two new cars. One I drive for fun, one I drive for more work commuting / bad weather. Is there something wrong with driving one car less when gas prices rise?

Gas is only one component of travel expenses. Most people here would do well to take some business courses. I bought my car from fleet sales and stopped bargaining when I went under the tax rate up here in the Capital Cost index. He knew what that was about and didn’t press any further. You other guys would have the dealer taking everything they could off you including your underpants. All you young guys should be buying property and driving shit boxes - and - worrying about gas. In twenty years you can take me out to a ball game and thank me!

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Gas is only one component of travel expenses. Most people here would do well to take some business courses. I bought my car from fleet sales and stopped bargaining when I went under the tax rate up here in the Capital Cost index. He knew what that was about and didn’t press any further. You other guys would have the dealer taking everything they could off you including your underpants. All you young guys should be buying property and driving shit boxes - and - worrying about gas. In twenty years you can take me out to a ball game and thank me!
That may be, but I'm a car enthusiast. Yes, it's an expensive hobby. But it keeps me sane when I'm not working. I own 2(1 is old, I don't have 2 vehicles that are brand new)right now. The bad part is... the Mustang is the fuel efficient one...

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
It’s not absolute. The GT is overpriced so I’d rather get a Stingray. The financing and longer term better resale but not a DD. But 100 feet from me is a new ZL1 but without the aero package which was on the last one I looked at. The sticker says 76 grand or the same price as my Vette. But almost half a Z06 up here. I could go that way. Just saying. Plus this one looks normal so I could drive it more. I still have the Mustang as my real DD and a Buick Enclave when I need to haul people.

Also, back in the mid-eighties I almost bought a Jaguar XJS V12 on a 1500 a month lease for 3.5 years or something like that. I saw one on Monday and regretted never getting that. I’m still a car guy at heart!
What's overpriced to one person is priced just right to another. :) For me, getting car with 400+ HP, heated/ventilated seats, amazing looks (subjective, I know), decent tech (SYNC3 w/ Android Auto), sporty ride, beautiful color, and an aggressive exhaust note is worth the mid $30's that I paid for it. I could have got that used, but I always buy new with low interest financing (0.9 in this case, but prior car was 0%).

I wanted a car that takes spirited driving in stride while not being too aggressive. The Mustang fulfills that desire quite nicely for me while not going the full sports car route. I've always enjoyed "spirited" cars, but I've never had the desire to own a full-blown sports car. Some cool cars you named though!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Is it work/commuting? Or when gas prices rise?

Now......lemme see.....an 2018 Accord 2.0T Touring starts at $35,800.00, so let's use that number.

Now, if the Accord averages 10MPGS more, and you drive 15,000 miles a year.....carry the 0....divide by pie.....multiply by I.Q.........

I figger you'd save around $1,200 in gas, per year, driving the Accord 15K miles versus the GT 15K miles in a year. So it would take you 30 short years to recoup your investment......if you parked the GT and only drove the Accord.

Whatever, it's your money, obviously you have it to spend.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
And by the way. You business moguls out there. You would not be so worried about the gas if you knew how to handle that expense in the books. So don’t bother telling me you have multiple cars cause you can afford it. Then go back to worrying about fuel mileage. :lol:

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I really gotta try quiet mode. Actually, I'm a lady, he's the one trying to wield his power right now ;) He's an extremely frugal guy and doesn't believe in buying new cars, much less a GT.
Yes, if you like cars and really want one and can afford it, just do it. Last month I put my money down on a Bullitt. Didn't tell the "wife", because I knew she would not approve. I figured better to have just one "discussion" after the purchase rather than one before and one after.... As they say "better to ask for forgiveness, rather than ask for permission."

It's a tough decision. Last year I test drove an EB. Bags of power, I was quite impressed. Then a few days later we were out for dinner and as we stepped out of the restaurant a GT fired up right at the curb, and I was thinking, how can you not want that sound......

remember you more often regret the thing to don't do, rather the things you do......

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Lemme see.....a 2018 Accord 2.0T Touring starts at $35,800.00, so let's use that number.

Now, if the Accord averages 10MPGS more, and you drive 15,000 miles a year.....carry the 0....divide by pie.....multiply by I.Q.........

I figger you'd save around $1,200 in gas, per year, driving the Accord 15K miles versus the GT 15K miles in a year. So it would take you 30 short years to recoup your investment......if you parked the GT and only drove the Accord.

Whatever, it's your money, obviously you have it to spend.
I also don't have to worry about what happens if my Mustang breaks down because it's also not japanese quality. Am I hoping that doesn't happen? Of course. It's not just about gas. The door is also open if I decide to go FI, then I don't have to worry about the "What happens if" part if I end up on the side of the road.

It's 2018 and American car companies still don't know what good QA is. I love my Mustang, but the freaking passenger door wasn't even set right when I bought it custom ordered and I had to get it re-adjusted and the paint fixed where it rubbed. My Accord on the other hand is flawless.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I also don't have to worry about what happens if my Mustang breaks down because it's also not japanese quality. Am I hoping that doesn't happen? Of course. It's not just about gas. The door is also open if I decide to go FI, then I don't have to worry about the "What happens if" part if I end up on the side of the road.

It's 2018 and American car companies still don't know what good QA is. I love my Mustang, but the freaking passenger door wasn't even set right when I bought it custom ordered and I had to get it re-adjusted and the paint fixed where it rubbed. My Accord on the other hand is flawless.
I've DD'd Mustangs for......a decade or so. They're not un-reliable. As long as you don't screw with them, they start and drive every day like any other car. They don't "break-down". That's just not a thing with modern cars anymore. You have to do something tremendously stupid to hurt a modern car.

When was the last time you saw a newer car broken down on the side of the road? At worst morons run them out of gas or oil, and that's not the car's fault.

If you can afford a 2017 GT PP Premium, to mod the hell out of it, and then to buy a 2018 Accord 2.0T Touring, you shouldn't even be mentioning the price of gas. It shouldn't even register on your radar.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I had an Ecoboost Premium before and was pretty happy with it, though I was planning on doing some mods. Sold it and am looking at buying an '18; dealer near me has the last Lightning Blue Premium with Performance Package in the area.

Some of you may know I have an obsession with DIB, so when I recently saw a '16 DIB GT up for sale I couldn't help but drool. I am so torn. I was really thinking about an Eco Premium, as much as I'd like a GT, because of the MPG and since I live in a suburb...and two of my neighbors are school principals. All the prissy neighbors in my area would be glaring at me all day long. I don't know why I even care, but everyone around seems to drive minivans & trucks and look down on anything remotely sporty. :shrug:

All that aside, is it just too impractical for daily driving? I commute to the city several days a week, otherwise local roads. My fiance thinks I should just go with an EP since I probably won't use the power to its full potential.
Didn't read any of the other replies but here's my take on it...

If I was going to be driving mostly in the city or on 35/45mph suburbia roads, the GT would be fun to have but it's a lot like having a big dog restricted to an apartment and only taking them outside to go to the bathroom.

On the highway and multi-lane roads is where this car shines IMHO! Higher speeds, long open stretches without intersections, and mostly straight roads except for some bends, that's where I personally have the most fun.

If I were going to be on mostly city/non-highway roads I would definitely have gone with a WRX. Bet you didn't expect that response!! Wouldn't make sense to go with an STI due to the low speeds on the roads.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
On the highway and multi-lane roads is where this car shines IMHO! Higher speeds, long open stretches without intersections, and mostly straight roads except for some bends, that's where I personally have the most fun.
Yes, these cars are GT cars, so they're great on the FWY. Effortless, quiet, comfortable, planted.

But get yours onto the mountains, in the twistys. With the PP, they're fantastic.
Sponsored