Sponsored

Is a GT too impractical for daily driving?

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I had an Ecoboost Premium before and was pretty happy with it, though I was planning on doing some mods. Sold it and am looking at buying an '18; dealer near me has the last Lightning Blue Premium with Performance Package in the area.

Some of you may know I have an obsession with DIB, so when I recently saw a '16 DIB GT up for sale I couldn't help but drool. I am so torn. I was really thinking about an Eco Premium, as much as I'd like a GT, because of the MPG and since I live in a suburb...and two of my neighbors are school principals. All the prissy neighbors in my area would be glaring at me all day long. I don't know why I even care, but everyone around seems to drive minivans & trucks and look down on anything remotely sporty. :shrug:

All that aside, is it just too impractical for daily driving? I commute to the city several days a week, otherwise local roads. My fiance thinks I should just go with an EP since I probably won't use the power to its full potential.
Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
I drive my 18 gt pp1 over 100 miles a day lol. 5 mpg difference between EcoBoost and gt..
Someone hit my gt so I have had EcoBoost for almost 3 weeks now while GT getting fixed...so 5mpg a real number

Of course I fully admit I was financially irresponsible to do so ...if you are pushing your budget get the EcoBoost...otherwise GT... EcoBoost is still a really really good car so can't go wrong either way

94and15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GTPP / 94 GT
Drive both. See if the feel of the GT is worth it - for me it was. Before I took a job that has a 100 mile daily commute, I would drive either Mustang to work daily, and there was no issue. I worked for a large hospital and would get looks daily when arriving or leaving, but I feel they were of the 'I wish I had that' variety. As for fuel mileage, I averaged about 19.5 - 20.0 and I didn't drive for fuel economy - so not terrible, but not a gas sipper. As for full potential, you wouldn't use the EB full potential either, so take both on some roads like your commute and see how it feels to cruise along.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
If fuel efficiency really is a concern, and you drive in heavy traffic a lot, then get the EB.

I've been daily driving my GT for two years, into the city every morning through heavy traffic, for the last 6 months on E85 using 30L/100km (8mpg?), and I wouldn't change it lol

Of course I love flexing my right foot, and take every opportunity to do so on the weekends. There's just no replacement for that V8 soundtrack, smiles per gallon is where it's at

OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Thanks for the thoughts guys. The older GT is actually priced at a little less than the Eco Premium! Definitely need to take it for a good test drive. I drove an '18 GT at a dealer but got stuck in traffic and the sales guy seemed a little terrified the whole time whenever I gave it some gas.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
If fuel efficiency really is a concern, and you drive in heavy traffic a lot, then get the EB.

I've been daily driving my GT for two years, into the city every morning through heavy traffic, for the last 6 months on E85 using 30L/100km (8mpg?), and I wouldn't change it lol

Of course I love flexing my right foot, and take every opportunity to do so on the weekends. There's just no replacement for that V8 soundtrack, smiles per gallon is where it's at
Oof 8mpg! :eyebulge: Well it's heavy traffic some days, but not THAT bad. I used to do a daily commute that took 2.5hrs instead of 45min without traffic. Right now my max would probably be 1hr in really bad traffic.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Get up earlier. Drive faster. Problem solved.

Of course it means you also have to figure out a way to leave work earlier. I can't seem to get that part right. So I only drive it a couple of days a week to work.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I’m on my 3rd GT, all have been my DD. In my current (2016 GT) I usually average 19-20mpg, mostly town driving with a little highway (I live in the suburbs as well). My 2013 GT had similar mpg, as did my 2001 GT Convertible after a CAI and tune.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
...and two of my neighbors are school principals. All the prissy neighbors in my area would be glaring at me all day long. I don't know why I even care, but everyone around seems to drive minivans & trucks and look down on anything remotely sporty. :shrug:

All that aside, is it just too impractical for daily driving? I commute to the city several days a week, otherwise local roads. My fiance thinks I should just go with an EP since I probably won't use the power to its full potential.
You'll have quiet mode, so neighbors are taken care of.

You can't use the Ecoboost power to it's full potential either, so buy whatever makes your soul happy.

BTW, a word of advice from a guy with 28 years of marriage in the can.....don't allow your fiance to influence your car purchasing decisions. She'll try to wield that power after the wedding, so put your foot down now!!

Good luck to ya :)

OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Get up earlier. Drive faster. Problem solved.

Of course it means you also have to figure out a way to leave work earlier. I can't seem to get that part right. So I only drive it a couple of days a week to work.
Lol true. I already get up at 5am to arrive on time and don't want to do any earlier...not a morning person! :doh:

Sponsored
OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I’m on my 3rd GT, all have been my DD. In my current (2016 GT) I usually average 19-20mpg, mostly town driving with a little highway (I live in the suburbs as well). My 2013 GT had similar mpg, as did my 2001 GT Convertible after a CAI and tune.
That's pretty good, I would be fine with that!

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
My commute is around 40 miles round-trip, and I love every minute of it in the GT. I'm averaging 23-24 MPG, which is exceeding my expectations.

Go with whatever makes you happy. That's much more important than worrying about fuel economy or the neighbors. :) I don't have the active exhaust for quiet mode, and the roar every morning puts a smile on my face.

OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
You'll have quiet mode, so neighbors are taken care of.

You can't use the Ecoboost power to it's full potential either, so buy whatever makes your soul happy.

BTW, a word of advice from a guy with 28 years of marriage in the can.....don't allow your fiance to influence your car purchasing decisions. She'll try to wield that power after the wedding, so put your foot down now!!

Good luck to ya :)
I really gotta try quiet mode. Actually, I'm a lady, he's the one trying to wield his power right now ;) He's an extremely frugal guy and doesn't believe in buying new cars, much less a GT.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Oof 8mpg! :eyebulge: Well it's heavy traffic some days, but not THAT bad. I used to do a daily commute that took 2.5hrs instead of 45min without traffic. Right now my max would probably be 1hr in really bad traffic.
Haha yeah. On 98 (equivalent to your 92) it uses about 18 L/100km (14mpg). My usual trips are pretty much all short and lots of stop/start at lights etc. Takes me just under half an hour to get into work, 7.5km away.

I didn't buy it for fuel economy, that's for sure. Get it on the highway though and different story, very good on fuel. Somewhere around 26mpg in your terms

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
I really gotta try quiet mode. Actually, I'm a lady, he's the one trying to wield his power right now ;) He's an extremely frugal guy and doesn't believe in buying new cars, much less a GT.
AHAHHAHA.....that'll learn me. Thank you for putting me in my place :).

Since the Manolo Blahnik is on the other foot, put your heel down and show him who's the boss in this relationship!
Sponsored